Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639424 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2375 on: 18 December, 2010, 04:20:48 pm »
If this carries on much longer into Sunday, the Birmingham Monday commute will be interesting.

It's stopped.  ::-)

And a quick check on Will It Rain would suggest that that's it.  Good.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2376 on: 18 December, 2010, 05:08:02 pm »
...and the slush has started to freeze.  Tomorrow morning will be hilarious.  I believe I shall sleep through it. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2377 on: 18 December, 2010, 05:43:25 pm »
Just cleared the path of snow, about 6" lying here. It's stopped now, nothing further forecast.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2378 on: 18 December, 2010, 05:52:24 pm »
It started snowing here about quarter to three as I was walking through the forest. Lots of animal tracks everywhere - deer, boar, hare, fox - but the only moving ones I saw were a woodpecker and one deer. And the only sign of human presence my own footprints from Thursday, which was good!

At 7:30 this morning it was full daylight, but the sun was still a bleary red disc only half over the horizon. How can it be full day when the sun hasn't fully risen?
My cleaning lady is due to return to eastern Poland by coach, for a three week break, this weekend.
I hope her journey goes well.
I've done many coach journeys on that route in similar weather. It will go well. The only problems I ever had were in August, when the a/c broke down on the way out, and the entire coach on the way back, leaving us stranded on a bit of "post-German" (ie built when it was part of Germany in the 30s and not touched since) autobahn for about three hours.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2379 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »

I'm sure you can get something for the dandruff  :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2380 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »
Mr R is due to fly back from Goa today.  Still no sign of him or any news from him.  Hopefully he's stuck somewhere nice...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

simonp

« Reply #2381 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
So I let it snow for a while then that was my cue to get off my lazy ass, stop watching Stargate repeats recorded back in August by the Electric Monk and head out to Staples for some printer paper. I have rain legs, snow tyres, lobster gloves, and a rapha winter hat. Had to keep on clearing the snow from the front light.

While I was there I decided I liked it so much I have been to Boots and Waterstones right in town. Coffee and a blueberry muffin before heading back, and then off to the gym. :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2382 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:59:09 pm »
Mr R is due to fly back from Goa today.  Still no sign of him or any news from him.  Hopefully he's stuck somewhere nice...

You are a very understanding partner.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2383 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »
I can now update you on the weather. In Reading and Didcot it is dark.

I think it will be in Swindon too. We were nearly stuck in London, trains being cancelled all over the place. Our cancelled train was reinstated and we are now speeding towards snowmageddon. Apparently you are advised not to go to The Cotswolds, which is a shame for us. The snow socks may have their first outing in anger!

Chris S

« Reply #2384 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:43:13 pm »
Thank god I live in the driest region of the country. This translates to snow in winter as much as rain the rest of the time. Clear skies here - and just a dusting on the ground.

I might venture west to The Fens tomorrow, and catch some fen skating. Looks like fun.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2385 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »
Have been riding around in South London.  Minor roads are a challenge but even the major ones aren't that clear.  Is fun, but I may well have to go into the office tomorrow (Maida Vale area).  That'll need a clear head.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2386 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:46:22 pm »
I can now update you on the weather. In Reading and Didcot it is dark.
Excellent, always appreciated.

Actually it's a lot less dark than normal, what with all the ambient light being reflected off the white stuff. Sort of pre-dawn look. You could certainly cycle without lights.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2387 on: 18 December, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »
I'm going to buy a weather station on Monday. I want Rockall, but it's not for sale.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2388 on: 18 December, 2010, 08:45:54 pm »
I'm going to buy a weather station on Monday. I want Rockall, but it's not for sale.

Get one of these

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2389 on: 19 December, 2010, 03:50:07 am »
My weather widget says it's -15C at Birmingham airport.

My temperature sensor says it's -8.1C a few inches from my naff single-glazed window.

There is still the best part of 6 inches of snow outside.

And it's nearly 4am.

This is all beyond silly and well into The Day After Tomorrow territory.  With luck I won't end up fighting off wolves, but barakta has handily forgotten to take her spork with her to That London, so at least I'll have a weapon.

I'm going to bed now.  If there's a power cut, hopefully the UPS alarm will wake me before I freeze to death...   :-\

LindaG

« Reply #2390 on: 19 December, 2010, 04:45:50 am »
Snowing a fair bit now outside the ward windows.  Not as much as the other week though.

It's lying.

« Reply #2391 on: 19 December, 2010, 10:35:56 am »
I walked to the pub last night, as buses weren't running. The first bit was lovely. Down the hill into town was very slippy. I was ready for a nice pint or three of old once I got there and removed a few layers. I cheated and took a cab past the slippy bit on the way home.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2392 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:20:29 am »
And it's nearly 4am.
Go to bed! Get some sleep or you'll never have the strength to fight off the polar zombies!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #2393 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:24:15 am »
Last night I went to the Crescent Theatre to see a show in which #1 son is working.
Very impressed with London Midland who managed to keep a sporadic, non-timetabled service running on the cross city line all evening.  Good effort.  :thumbsup:
The theatre is just off Broad Street, which for non-locals, is the area of Brum where the yoof spend their time staggering about in their dressless evening straps, throwing up and crying in the gutter.
As I walked towards Broad Street after the show I was thinking to myself, "Surely it will look different tonight".
Wrong.  It must have been below minus ten, yet there they all were, staggering through freezing snow drifts on 5 inch heels and not a lot else.  A whole street of goose bumps that I could have struck a match on.
I commented on another thread that the Brummies seem to think trainers are the best thing to wear in these conditions.  I'd like to now add the alternative winter dress code of basque and suspenders to this observation.  :o

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2394 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:24:50 am »
a tad under -10 here last night.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2395 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:25:22 am »
I commented on another thread that the Brummies seem to think trainers are the best thing to wear in these conditions.  I'd like to now add the alternative winter dress code of basque and suspenders to this observation.  :o

We need photos of you in this get-up.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2396 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:30:06 am »
Mr R's finally made contact.  His flight has been cancelled again.  He's due to be in work tomorrow and has had to phone in absent.

It looks as though the earliest he may get a flight is tomorrow afternoon.  This means he'll be spending another night stranded....

...at a 5* hotel on a beach in Goa.   Some gits get all the luck!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #2397 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:33:16 am »

We need photos of you in this get-up.

Oh.  Did you not get the last set?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2398 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:55:01 am »
Mr R's finally made contact.  His flight has been cancelled again.  He's due to be in work tomorrow and has had to phone in absent.

It looks as though the earliest he may get a flight is tomorrow afternoon.  This means he'll be spending another night stranded....

...at a 5* hotel on a beach in Goa.   Some gits get all the luck!
If it's snowing in Goa, the weather really is serious!

Bottle of fenny, please!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2399 on: 19 December, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »
I see that fecking Clarkson got stuck in the snow yesterday and had to abandon his Suburu 18 miles from home.

White Christmas odds plummet – and Santa fails to fly | UK news | guardian.co.uk , final bullet point.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.