Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639550 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2400 on: 19 December, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
Winnie looks like a Banksy remix there! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2401 on: 19 December, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »
Minus 7 0n way home Sat morning, front mech froze coming out of North Oxford as did the left brake on the trike, went to bed thinking that's not bad and woke up to 2 foot of snow.
                                                   :'(
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2402 on: 19 December, 2010, 02:21:13 pm »
I'm going to bed now.  If there's a power cut, hopefully the UPS alarm will wake me before I freeze to death...   :-\
Hot water bottles! My Boots one was still nice & warm 10 hours after being filled. Primark sell 'em much cheaper, but I suspect there's a qualitative difference.

Mrs B & I have one each, to avoid fights.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2403 on: 19 December, 2010, 02:27:00 pm »
We bought a memory foam mattress last winter. We were told we MUST NOT USE HOT WATER BOTTLES with memory foam.
We now have five lonely hot water bottles, including a lovely Winnie-the-Pooh bottle and cover from Boots.

« Reply #2404 on: 19 December, 2010, 02:45:11 pm »
Just saw this about school closures on the BBC website.

The amusing thing is that the photo is of the primary school in our village - one of the three schools in Hampshire that didn't close due to snow a couple of weeks ago!

« Reply #2405 on: 19 December, 2010, 02:48:04 pm »
I'm going to bed now.  If there's a power cut, hopefully the UPS alarm will wake me before I freeze to death...   :-\
Hot water bottles! My Boots one was still nice & warm 10 hours after being filled. Primark sell 'em much cheaper, but I suspect there's a qualitative difference.

Mrs B & I have one each, to avoid fights.
She hasn't posted since - it may be too late :o - She might be an icicle!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2406 on: 19 December, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »
Rumours of my iciculation are greatly exaggerated.  I just went to bed and slept solidly for 11 hours, without so much as getting up for the loo.  I don't think I've done that since that night in Llanberis.

The power stayed on, which meant the computer did whatever was necessary heating-wise to keep the temperature in the bedroom above 16C (the temperature previously determined to be warm enough not to exacerbate any low-level asthmatic nastiness I may be suffering from).  I also had two duvets, an electric blanket and - as barakta's away in That London - the use of both hot water bottles (one for each foot!  Luxury!).

We also have a memory foam mattress, which doesn't appear to have exploded or anything through hot water bottle use yet...

The snow situation is much the same as it was last night, only presumably icier.  No sign of polar zombies, but I'm a reasonably safe distance from Broad Street.

« Reply #2407 on: 19 December, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
Winnie looks like a Banksy remix there! :thumbsup:

(Wall courtesy of Xauxa)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2408 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:07:45 pm »
The power stayed on, which meant the computer did whatever was necessary heating-wise to keep the temperature in the bedroom above 16C (the temperature previously determined to be warm enough not to exacerbate any low-level asthmatic nastiness I may be suffering from). 

Do you realise that many of your posts read like the opening paragraph of near-future SF novels? [read the above in the voice of Harrison Ford]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2409 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:18:23 pm »
Epic Win(ston). :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2410 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:34:53 pm »
Do you realise that many of your posts read like the opening paragraph of near-future SF novels? [read the above in the voice of Harrison Ford]

Really? Cor...  8)

Though it's not entirely surprising, this *is* 2010.

« Reply #2411 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:41:29 pm »
Lots of train cancellations on the board at Euston, including my direct train to Liverpool. Had to get a Manchester bound one and change at Crewe, in first class for once as no one is checking tickets.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2412 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
Temperature didn't get above minus 3 today in NE Bristol ( according to garden thermometer )
Snow that fell yesterday morning has now frozen solid  :-\
Temp. presently minus 5.5 !  More snow forecast for tomorrow !

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2413 on: 19 December, 2010, 08:19:53 pm »

Yay!  I live in Teh Future (TM). :thumbsup:
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2414 on: 19 December, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »

Really? Cor...  8)
Cyberpunk is now as quaint as zeppelins.  OMGfuture!

*looks up into falling snow*

The sky above Crediton is the colour of television tuned to a dead channel...

« Reply #2415 on: 19 December, 2010, 08:40:20 pm »
Just got home. My walk to work tomorrow may see the Microspikes used for the first time.  Flat is 10C, it's -2.5c outside and the waters off (again)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

simonp

« Reply #2416 on: 19 December, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »

Really? Cor...  8)

The year we're supposed to make contact via the monolith orbiting Jupiter?

« Reply #2417 on: 19 December, 2010, 10:06:14 pm »

Really? Cor...  8)

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2418 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »
On Saturday it snowed enough that it took me eight and a half hours to drive the two hundred miles from Croydon to Exeter. Apparently it's forecast to snow tomorrow morning in time for me to attempt the return journey. :-\ :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2419 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:40:41 pm »
Apparently when my son arrived in Helsinki last week, he was greeted with -20°C. A little later on it was a balmy -5 but chucking it down with snow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2420 on: 19 December, 2010, 11:50:17 pm »

Really? Cor...  8)

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE

Heathrow. Except Heathrow, surely?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2421 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:48:18 am »
-12C now, south of Oxford. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2422 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:31:49 am »
I see that fecking Clarkson got stuck in the snow yesterday and had to abandon his Suburu 18 miles from home.

White Christmas odds plummet – and Santa fails to fly | UK news | guardian.co.uk , final bullet point.

From his comments, I share his pain.
"I would have been fine," he insisted. "But everyone around me had got stuck so it was impossible to get round them."

I too abandoned my car (legally parked in a sideroad) in Saturday's inch and a half Southend dusting and made an alternative journey home.  I cycled back later once the gridlock had subsided to collect the car.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2423 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:28:42 am »
My gods, it's coming down so hard it's hissing. And there's no wind, just the sound of a million flakes a second landing on yesterday's hard freeze.

Plucky Cyclist time!

« Reply #2424 on: 20 December, 2010, 08:07:17 am »
Yikes, it's still -12C here.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson