Author Topic: Snow Warning  (Read 5816 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Snow Warning
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
They had some pictures of people sliding all over the road in Furrybootoon on the telly tonight. Took me about 40 mins to drive (bleurgh) 3 miles home. See how I get on with the spikes 2moro...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:21:17 pm »
It forecasting dry but sub-zero for my commuter times tomorrow.  I'm in two minds about whether to admit defeat and catch a bus.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »
I'm in two minds about whether to admit defeat and catch a bus.
I have to admit to being rather nervous....but I'd better give it a try now that I've spent €70 on tyres!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #28 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »
They had some pictures of people sliding all over the road in Furrybootoon on the telly tonight. Took me about 40 mins to drive (bleurgh) 3 miles home. See how I get on with the spikes 2moro...

I once got stuck on Anderson drive in a blzzard for a couple of hours on the way home (when I was lodging in Torry and working at BoD)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #29 on: 24 November, 2010, 07:41:09 pm »
I have to admit to being rather nervous....but I'd better give it a try now that I've spent €70 on tyres!

Well, I have neither winter tyres nor any serious bike skillz - so I would fall off, probably in some deeply embarassing manner, sooner or later.  I can claim my bus fares back from work, and if I have to stick to bus timetables I actually tend to work slightly fewer hours as I can't just let the timings slip and cycle home extra late.  Me cycling-commuting saves my employer money and means that they get even more unpaid overtime out of me but has limited practical advantages for me - the major reason I do it because I like riding.  And I don't like riding on completely slick tyres carting large weighty panniers on ice.  I've gone beyond my self-imposed target, which was to stay off the buses until the Autumn half term. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »
First snow of the year:

gordon taylor

« Reply #31 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:29:07 pm »
That amount of snow would be officially classifed at the END OF THE WORLD in Stafford and cause 100-vehicle pile-ups as the crowds fought their way to the supermarkets to buy the last tin of spam.

Enjoy it!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #32 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
It would be enough round here to close all the schools for a week.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »
First snow of the year:

We beat you!!!

We had some in January.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »
That amount of snow would bring the trike out of hibernation

« Reply #35 on: 25 November, 2010, 01:46:59 am »
Wantz sno  >:(

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #36 on: 25 November, 2010, 03:42:15 am »
Coming down in Luton right now.

LindaG

« Reply #37 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:07:42 am »
An inch or so here this morning.

LindaG

« Reply #38 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:12:50 am »
And, yes, as always when we get the white stuff, we have vehicles pirouetting down the road in front of the house in some bizarre four-wheeled ballet  :(.  I hope Crusty's being careful out there on my new tyres. 

« Reply #39 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:23:54 am »
Started snowing here about 9:00pm last night. White over this morning. Thats two week earlier than last year.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #40 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:27:17 am »
None in Hatfield or Iver, yet! Cold enough to sno though, although one other thing is kind of missing, which is that there is no clouds.... :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #41 on: 25 November, 2010, 08:46:13 am »
Started snowing here about 9:00pm last night. White over this morning. Thats two week earlier than last year.
Countdown to:
Quote from: Daily Mail
So much for global warming!
:facepalm:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:39:19 am »
I really wouldn't mind if Wiggle decided to deliver the winter tyres now.
Getting there...

« Reply #43 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:44:13 am »
Sorry, deliveries are delayed due to snowfall.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #44 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:52:15 am »

I ordered a pair from bike24 yesterday morning and received a shipping notification yesterday afternoon. Cheaper than Wiggle too.

Of course, the DHL delivery truck will now get stuck in the snow and by the time it arrives it'll all have thawed and there'll be no more snow ever. If that's the case I'll try to sell them on to you for a vast profit  ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #45 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »
Snow for our area (with the exception of some parts of Norfolk which have already been snowed upon) is delayed - now expected Friday night and Saturday daytime.  Apparently it is stacking up over the North Sea, ready for a good dumping...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #46 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:28:03 pm »
On the basis that it's November, it will be insignificant and short-lived.

I recall only one significant snowfall in November in SE England and that was, I think, 1970. 1970 was also the only white Christmas of my life.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #47 on: 25 November, 2010, 02:35:18 pm »
On the basis that it's November, it will be insignificant and short-lived.

I recall only one significant snowfall in November in SE England and that was, I think, 1970. 1970 was also the only white Christmas of my life.

Errr.... last Christmas was a white Christmas for much of the country (as was 2004).  I remember it well - Christmas Eve was spent in part in Addenbrookes A&E and then driving in the snow to Salisbury - Christmas Day it snowed. 

And in the last 50 years you have had an almost 50/50 chance of a white Christmas in some parts of Scotland.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #48 on: 25 November, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »
First snow of the year:

We beat you!!!

We had some in January.  ;)

I was speaking as a randonneur  :P

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #49 on: 26 November, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »
Inch and a half in Carmarthen in 45 mins this morning and jolly chilly, followed by blue sky, weak sun and still air - glorious!

Spoke to our Minnesota relatives last night: they'd had 10 inches; by January cold snaps will see it below zero in Farenheit in the day, and minus 25 Farenheit at night - from experience I can confirm that that's seriously uncomfortable! For comparison, on winter bothying trips in the Cairngorms I've rarely seen it below 10 deg F.