Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Gallery / Re: Birds (feathered kind)
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 08:10:52 pm »
The Pub / Re: Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by Blazer on Today at 08:04:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute. I'm feeling more reassured with just paying and moving on. I also don't think that my feelings are entirely out of place.

It was a limited scope piece of work, so very little expectations of unforeseen arising.

I think the other thing that niggled me was the short notice use of a sub contractor, but that doesn't seem unusual.

Thanks again
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 07:53:16 pm »
I'm a consultant, I don't build a 50% contingency into my proposals.

It depends on the type of work involved and the unforeseeable nature of a particular job, doesn't it.

Err, no

I've quoted a 6 month job on a 1 page brief, I was within 5% of actual required effort

You state defined task, effort, assumptions. If I quote a two person job I don't send one person
« Last post by Paul H on Today at 07:48:37 pm »
If I was happy with the work and price I'd have paid it.  But whether you've had what you've been quoted for I'm not so sure about.  If the itemised quote is costed, then I'd say certainly not, but if it looks like the workings out then maybe you have.  I wonder what would have happened if it had taken longer, would they have been saying they hadn't quoted for that?
It seems a bit amateurish, when I did such things a quote would be fixed and not included a time breakdown, but an estimate would in order for it to be invoiced against on completion.   
Realistically, I suspect you were never going to get two days work, including costs and materials for £325.
« Last post by toontra on Today at 07:46:40 pm »

It depends on the type of work involved and the unforeseeable nature of a particular job, doesn't it.
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 07:41:04 pm »
I may be interested.   :)   Bus 'n bike back from London also works apparently.

I like Shropshire; 5+ generations of the family come from Clun valley area.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Blodwyn Pig on Today at 07:40:08 pm »
To the OP.  Might I ask some personal questions about you, ie M/F, height , approx weight , and general fitness level, and personal comfort / experience around cars on the road/ road riding in general.  I hope not to appear rude, but it will give the panel a better understanding of your needs. ie, if you are a 4’10” and extremely overweight female, who is terrified of traffic, then there is much work to do before  you consider n+1, even then, I believe female specific bikes are shorter, ( but may be wrong), so finding a suitable bike will be the quest. However if you are avg height/ build, and comfortable in traffic, then less of a problem. As I said, I am NOT being rude, or sexist, or anything other than helpful.

Hello Blodwyn.
Here's my spec. I'm a Man. 5'9". 60 years old about 14 1/2 Stone. I have a full Car and Motorcycle License. I want to build a certain level of fitness so that I'm not the fat git at the back holding everyone up.
I thought the average speed for Audax was 15 Kmh Which is what I gleaned from reading posts on here. but someone just said it's 25 Kmh.

If I may, I'll contact You and Kim directly when I have ridden a bit further and faster.

Excellent, now then, I propose a wee ride, next Sat, starting at the Cyclopark at 9.00 am? for a wee jolly of about 25-30 km, speed is not important, and we'll have a nice ride. out towards Ifield/Cobham/ Pear Tree Lane, / down into Higham/ back along the canal, What could be simpler. It'll be over before you know it, and believe me, riding with some one else, is so much easier than riding on your own. What do you say? PM if you like.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Delidroid on Today at 07:34:17 pm »
Thank You for the invite Quixoticgeek. I’ve never been to Amsterdam.
Freewheeling / Re: Forumite spotting
« Last post by CrinklyLion on Today at 07:28:33 pm »
Kim, in between her timing-equipment-wrangling duties and some rushing-around-in-circles, at the BHPC race day in 'ull where we finally effected a transfer of the Trek she has had lodging in her living room for some time over to the EldestCub. Photographs were taken for comparison, and it would appear the boy is indeed now taller than her. And yes, she did persuade him into a couple of laps between races despite the fact that he was in his steel-toed work boots and was pretty achey due to suffering the after effects of spending half an hour this morning trying to bump start his flat-batteried motorbike - he was meant to be meeting some biker mates this morning for a brew before they went for a ride out and he came to collect me in his car to drive over to collect the Trek. I was delighted to see that despite his recent petrol-head tendencies, riding his bike still makes him grin the exact same grin he's worn on bike rides with Kim since the first one, 13 or 14 years ago.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10