Author Topic: Look Keo Blade axle compatibility?  (Read 948 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Look Keo Blade axle compatibility?
« on: 27 February, 2021, 12:28:12 am »
HK has several Look Keo pedals in various states of wear. Replacing the blade spring is trivial and that has been done as required but the pedal bearings are pretty rattly in a few of them and I would like to rebuild the pedals for a few years’ more use.

There are some replacement axles with bearings available for a wide range of prices but there are at least two incompatible axle lengths/ standards. I’ve not found model numbers for replacement axles online. How many axle standards does Look have? Is there a compatibility chart somewhere that says these types are interchangeable within the group, this other group’s axles are not compatible with the first group, etc.?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Look Keo Blade axle compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2021, 09:34:47 am »
Disappointingly Look’s French salesfolk did not respond to an enquiry from a mutual acquaintance regarding this point. It seems that Look has no interest in anybody actually maintaining their pedals, preferring to sell entire pedal sets. I don’t like to play that game. Perhaps I can convince HK to swap an alternative pedal system that allows proper maintenance to occur.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2021, 10:01:53 am »
ZyroFisher is the UK distributor and they don’t have compatibility information either but they are happy to look up parts numbers if I provide photos of the offending pedals. Wish me luck!

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2021, 10:23:31 am »
Manufacturing products today is about ease of assembly, not making goods that are easily serviced. Time use hitec nylon bearing sleeves that are a non standard size on some pedals.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2021, 10:26:51 am »
I am well aware that manufacturing is about profit but prefer to give my money to folk who expect me to use something for more than a couple of years/ one product cycle. Non-standard ‘something’ is fine as long as it is available and replaceable at a reasonable cost.