Author Topic: Etrex 20, following a track with waypoints  (Read 3077 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Etrex 20, following a track with waypoints
« on: 30 October, 2012, 03:28:43 pm »
Suppose I have a GPX track file and I put it in the Etrex 20

The little line comes up on the screen if I select it in "track manager" and then "view""

And the Etrex "thinks" that it is "navigating" with this line, as it appears in the "where to" section

But if the track has waypoints defined as well as track points, the Etrex doesn't go "ping" when it approaches them

Is there some work around for this?

Here's some example files that show this behaviour: http://www.ukcyclist.org.uk/routing/B+L300.zip

Re: Etrex 20, following a track with waypoints
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »
Is there not a set up page for configuring the pings as you approach waypoints, I'm sure my Garmin 60 has this, i know its not an etrex but companys often follow similar menu systems across a range of there kit.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2012, 06:02:45 pm »
Is there not a set up page for configuring the pings as you approach waypoints, I'm sure my Garmin 60 has this, i know its not an etrex but companys often follow similar menu systems across a range of there kit.

Yes there is and I've tried various combinations of the settings there.
The page is setup - routing - off road transitions
It can be auto or manual.  If it's manual you set a distance to the waypoint

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »
Change your Setup > routing to On-road (follow road) this will help to unit stay on a mapped road even if its accuracy is a bit wayward, in off-road the unit will just report what it thinks is right so it maybe missing the waypoints, sometimes the signal goes a bit wobbly throwing the accuracy of the GPS off a tad.

The manual says theres a setup > Tones menu this is the one I was refering to,
on my 60 I set the tone for the proximetry alarm here and it gives me tones when nearing a waypoint,
though I'm not to sure if it does it when following a track ?

As the units logic maybe your following a track why do you want beeps at waypoints ? It only needs to beep if you veer off the track course by a significant amount.
if you change the setup > routing this is more for routes, not tracks, Garmin handle these 2 things very differently as tracks aren't routable (if memory serves correctly) in the same way a route is

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2012, 08:54:32 am »
Suppose I have a GPX track file and I put it in the Etrex 20
The little line comes up on the screen if I select it in "track manager" and then "view""
And the Etrex "thinks" that it is "navigating" with this line, as it appears in the "where to" section

No, this isn't quite right.

Firstly, in Track Manager there's a difference betweeen 'View' and 'Show on Map'.  Generally, you want 'Show on Map'.  (And while you're there, choose a bright colour such as green.) This simply overlays the Track on your 'live' map as a highlight - just like a paper map and a marker pen. 
You can set as many tracks as you wish, to 'Show on Map', simultaneously - this is good for marking options where you might want to make a choice when you get there.
(NB 'View' Track is just a preview - you shouldn't be in this mode while travelling, because the screen doesn't scroll with your position.)

Secondly, in this mode the GPS is not 'navigating'.  It is just dumbly showing you where you are (and if that coincides with the overlaid Track, well and good).  It is perfectly usable in this mode, but navigation is better.

To 'Navigate' a Track you should use the Where To? menu.  In 'Where To?' and submenu Tracks you will find your Tracks listed, select the one you want (hopefully you gave it a sensible name) and now you will get a thick purple line indicating that you are 'navigating'.
I recommend your Routing setup Guidance should be set to Prompted (not 'on road' as suggested above).  You then choose 'On Road for Distance' when the prompt appears.
When 'Navigating' the GPS will recognise any Waypoints on or near the Track.  I'm not sure about tones working - maybe they don't - but what I do is set up the map screen like this:

this is an E30 navigating a Track
ie two data fields, one showing the waypoint name, and the other showing the distance countdown, in this case warning me that I'll be taking a Right turn in 2.97km.

'Navigating' a Track in this way works very well on the Etrex 20/30
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll