Author Topic: Garmin Customer Support, experiences  (Read 2593 times)

Garmin Customer Support, experiences
« on: 29 October, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »
Today I phoned with Garmin in the Netherlands regarding ongoing problems with my Vist Hcx. In short, the problem is constant shutting off on bad road surfaces. I had sent mine the summer after LEL due to the first device not proving waterproof. It also had the constnat shutoff problems, but I thought this was normal. I received a new one which became fairly useless within two years due to the spontanious shut-off problem. On a Dutch forum someone disassembled his unit and found out that it's not the battery contact but an internal contact problem. While the 2nd Etrex was at Garmin I bought a new etrex 30 and to my pleasant surprise it has none such problems, even during the SIlkroad 1200 in Uzbekistan. Garmin keeps offering a 'new' Etrex Hcx agains a reduced price since they don't consider it a guarantee issue. I phoend with them today and they seem to have the flexibility of a brick wall. At the end of the phonecall they simply stated that I could file a complaint with the european customer support manager in Southampton. Anyone having experiences with claiming with them? Or any experiences with similar claims regarding the Etrex Hcx? The lady on the helpdesk flatly denied that this problem is known to them.

Re: Garmin Customer Support, experiences
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
My gpsmap60cx had similar problems. First time they appeared was on my first 200 of yours. I brought it in for repair at the Waypoint store where I bought it (even though it was out of warranty by a month or so iirc). They didn't do a proper job and a month or so later I came back again. I guess they fixed it properly the second time, because I haven't had the problem since.
You might try your luck by visiting or calling them about this issue.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2012, 11:19:57 am »
I found the switching off problem is easily fixed with a bit of tape on the bike mount. ie a couple of layers of duct tape inside the bit where the clip fits. This gives a nice snug fit, which reduces vibration.

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
Tape on bike mount fix worked for me.

People in Southampton seem mostly good. When the rubber surround on my HCX went astray out of warranty, they sent me a new one FOC. When I broke the clip on the back, got sent two FOC. My mate dropped something on the screen of his Garmin 200, smashing it. Let him have a new one for ~£50.

If you get someone rubbish, ring back and speak to someone else.

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2012, 11:41:16 am »
I have a friend who's Edge 705 completely stopped being recognised by USB when out of warranty. He phoned them after I had tried every possible software fix and they asked him to send it in. Another reconditioned one arrived back a few days later with no charge. He was pleased and the replacement one has been trouble free for a few months now.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »
It's a well known issue for years with the HCx, well known to Garmin too. I found that changing the mount helped (go for a firm rather than a spongy mount).

It doesn't always help. I wouldn't make a complaint to the UK centre, just email them normally and see what they suggest. I have always found them to be extremely helpful.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »
I have mentioned elsewhere problems I have had with my Vista HcX shutting down when I change the scale or some other function, but only with certain batteries known to be rather old. I have never had a vibration problem turning the device off.

The only issue I had with mine was the rubber seal coming unstuck very early in the machine's life and I received a replacement very promptly. The rubber seal has loosened again, but I have had the damned thing so long now that I don't really care any more. It still works perfectly well as long as it if fitted with decent batteries.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2012, 04:22:01 pm »
It's a well known issue for years with the HCx, well known to Garmin too. I found that changing the mount helped (go for a firm rather than a spongy mount).

It doesn't always help. I wouldn't make a complaint to the UK centre, just email them normally and see what they suggest. I have always found them to be extremely helpful.

Garmin Netherlands simply denies that it's a known problem. Via a Dutch forum I got the email and phone number of one of the Dutch Garmin people in Stouthampton. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2012, 05:11:50 pm »
I have two freinds who have Edge 705's. They both duffered a similar problem - where it was not being recognised by usb and would randomly turn off on rides. Both ditched them (out of warrenty) and either bought an Edge 800 or an eTrek 30. My collegue gave me his old 705 and Garmin want £110 to replace it for a reconditioned model. I think I may just get an eTrek 30 as it takes regular batteries so I can change them mid rides if need be.

I have a perfectly working eTrek H but not download serial cable and I'm not sure how long it would record routes for. Its lasted a 100km ride last winter and I may see if I can lengthen the time between recording points.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2012, 09:09:46 am »
It also had the constant shutoff problems, but I thought this was normal.

It is normal.

And
I found the switching off problem is easily fixed with a bit of tape on the bike mount. ie a couple of layers of duct tape inside the bit where the clip fits. This gives a nice snug fit, which reduces vibration.

This ^^^

Try it, it really works. 
(I find 2 or 3 layers of PVC tape is quite enough - and don't compromise the latch while doing this!)

The problem is endemic to all Garmins that use 2xAAs (interesting that the 705 does it too) - even the newest models - but later models have a much more secure bike mount so the problem is much less noticeable.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2012, 11:20:53 am »
I should point out that the 705 does not take your replacable batteries, and instead has to be charged with a USB. My 10 yr old eTrek H?? suffers from a rattley battery cover and I have a square of toilet paper folted into a small square to pack out the gap before the battery cover goes on. It was a bodge froma control as I had no spare rubber and didn't want to cut up an inner tube incase I needed it. Never suffered from it turning off, unlike the 705.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #11 on: 31 October, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »

The problem is endemic to all Garmins that use 2xAAs (interesting that the 705 does it too) - even the newest models - but later models have a much more secure bike mount so the problem is much less noticeable.

I rode the Silkroute 1200 with an Etrex 30, this takes 2 batteries. I didn't suffer any shut-off problems although the roads were very deterioarated. (One could even argue if some roads should still be rated as asfaltroads.)

« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
My experience was that (a) the shut-off problem didn't happen until the units were about a year old (I had two Legends replaced under warranty), and (b) it always manifested itself when descending fairly rapidly, as if it was a certain resonance that caused it.

I tried various methods to damp the vibration, including the use of an oversize bar mount packed with inner tube rubber.  Didn't seem to help much.  Packing the actual connection point between the gps and the mount with pvc tape did help.  For a while.

I too had Garmin support (at Southampton) deny there was a general problem, despite widespread comment in various fora on the opic demonstrating that many people were experiencing this switch-off.  Nevertheless they were quite helpful.

« Reply #13 on: 31 October, 2012, 05:49:44 pm »
Maybe we should compile a list of various threads in various international cycling fora where this problem is reported and discussed, and confront Garmin with this. After all, by European laws they are required to provide a product without design flaws. If due to consistent reports this isn't the case, claims after the end of the warrenty period are still valid.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2012, 07:59:48 am »

Your ex Dakota hasn't shown this trait yet. (touching wood!)
Chief cat entertainer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 02 November, 2012, 09:35:57 am »
Counts as a 'later' model.  The so-called 'spine' mount used by Dakotas, Oregons, E20/30s, etc, looks like an overpriced piece of sh*t but it is actually a big improvement on previous mounts, and should be completely jitter-free.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll