Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 126336 times)

Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #125 on: 30 April, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
mmmmmmmmm

« Reply #126 on: 10 July, 2012, 11:21:23 am »
Booked for Christmas!! Woop woop!

Meribel, 22 - 29 December. I will have a 3V ski pass going cheap if anyone is interested

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #127 on: 10 July, 2012, 09:55:23 pm »
Booked for Christmas!! Woop woop!

Meribel, 22 - 29 December. I will have a 3V ski pass going cheap if anyone is interested

We'll be in Petit-Russia-Sur-Les-Alps ( Courchevel 1850 ) around similar times!
Will reply to this thread with further details nearer the time.

We're travelling out just after xmas, and will be there over new year, as we usually do...

<SIGH> Just reminded me: I have base PTEX repairs to do on at least 2 skis.   But I'm not going to look at that untill at least November.

AND...
There's the possibility that the ski I lost in powder last year might have found it's way to lost property in 1850.   That's what happens to the detritus when the snow melts, and they keep it for a year.   If it does, I've promised the pair to a cycling buddy who donated me a group-set a year ago for a cheap-build for Junior to ride the Ullapool sportives.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #128 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:03:23 pm »
mmmm.....not fair this. Been skiing in January every year since 1989 but next season looks unlikely.

Don't think I'll have the muscle back after I trashed my right femur last January falling down a mogul slope.

Boo !
Books are for tourists...

Jakob

« Reply #129 on: 26 July, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
The season is not quite dead yet!. They open the Blackcomb glacier every year and I finally managed to get up there. Snowboarding in 24 degree sunshine is an experience!. (And in fact, as long as it was well groomed, it wasn't too bad too ride in). Only bad thing is that I'm recovering from an ingrown toe-nail, so any jumps, tricks, hard turns had me grimacing in pain, so I ended cutting the day short.

Also saw three of these guys, grazing under the liftlines on the way down

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #130 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:12:57 am »
Just booked for next year :D :thumbsup:

A week in Chamonix, for various reasons has to be start of April, so I'll take a bike if it's warm

« Reply #131 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:35:27 pm »
Whoops! I just appear to have had a little Feb half term finger click accident in Val Cenis (in the Maurienne Valley). At 800 euro for the week including two lift passes it would have been positively rude not to.

(Don't forget I still have 3 Valley pass going cheap for xmas week!)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #132 on: 03 October, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »
We're going to Val d'Isere for a week in January  :thumbsup:

« Reply #133 on: 16 October, 2012, 12:03:15 am »

Jakob

« Reply #134 on: 16 October, 2012, 04:26:27 am »
Thought people might want to know: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20121015/SPORTS/121019863/1078&ParentProfile=1055

It's a tow-rope on a bunny hill. I'd struggle to call that for 'opening' :D

Meanwhile, at Whistler:

Nov 24 is scheduled opening day. Weather bods are giving conflicting forecast, with some saying it's going to be an El Nino year, others saying more wet/cold than average.

I bought a seasons pass for one of the local mountains (Cypress) and we've booked Xmas at Sun Peaks, with ski-in/out :D. Biggest challenge will be managing work pressure, so that I can get at least one weeknight on the slopes.

I also bought new boots at the pre-season sale, so now I just need to get my wife's ski to the shop to get her bindings calibrated to her new boots.
Got new roof rack/ski rack for the car and will order snow tires soon. (Still trying to get a deal locally, rather than importing from the US).

Goal this year is to get comfortable on the medium park jumps and nail a decent 360.

Bring on the snow!.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #135 on: 17 October, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
My plan for this season is The Dolomites at Christmas. Nice cruising skiing around the Sella Ronda.
In March I will arrive at the Arc en Ciel funicular at the end of Bourg St Maurice station and be whisked up to Arc 1600 to catch a Navette to Arc 2000. Nice warm sunny skiing at high speed. Maybe hire a guide and go down the back of Aguille Rouge legally.

The french alps were white yesterday. Most of it will melt away but it is a start.

« Reply #136 on: 17 October, 2012, 01:52:21 pm »
... I will arrive at the Arc en Ciel funicular ....

Mind you don't bungle it ;-)

Jakob

« Reply #137 on: 22 October, 2012, 09:28:33 am »
First snow on local mountains today.

Skies cleared in the afternoon, revealing pretty white mountain tops for the first time!
 Last year one of them opened on Nov 8 (although it was kinda crappy) and they have new improved snow making equipment, so I hope somewhere around the same time.

PaulF

« Reply #138 on: 05 November, 2012, 04:40:11 pm »
Anyone know what the rules on snow chains are in France? We're driving to Chamonix in late March for a week

« Reply #139 on: 05 November, 2012, 05:00:11 pm »
You won't get up a mountain to a resort without them when it is snowing, otherwise local conditions may dictate they are sensible but most main roads are kept clear. Chamonix resort itself is quite low, and the roads are normally clear, late March SHOULD be alright, but I wouldn't drive around without having a set in the boot.

If your car is not VW/Audi/BMW big wheel/small clearances, you are just as well off picking up a cheap set in France. See which are recommended here http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/ and post result if you would like comment.

« Reply #140 on: 05 November, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »
Anyone know what the rules on snow chains are in France? We're driving to Chamonix in late March for a week

You'll be fine in Chamonix as it is so low at only 1050 metres, the autoroute is always well tended and right up until the Mont Blanc Tunnel is never a problem by virtue of the traffic levels alone, but you need chains for the back roads or if you're in say Argentiere which is a bit higher and much less well travelled.
As suggested buy the chains over there at a supermarket outside the ski area (Sallanches before big viaduct as Autoroute Blanche ends) is nearest to the resort but at normalish prices, most supermarkets have 9mm chains which will fit most cars that are on profiles above 45 or 50.

What size wheels/tyres have you got, I've 195/65/15 chains (and most tyre variations on that circumference 245/50/17-205/45/17 I think for starters) here in Merseyside that you can borrow if I'm not working out there at the time (and no-one else dibs them first). I've even got 4 Vectra wheels with snowflake tyres that I could be persuaded to lend as the UK should be OK by March I'd hope!

If you are due a tyre change around the trip time then get them swapped early for the journey as more tread depth is always better even if they are 'normal' tyres. Have a look at the Kwik Fit website (but buy anywhere) for the new tyre labelling and pick a good rated tyre.

Feanor

« Reply #141 on: 05 November, 2012, 09:45:16 pm »
If your car is not VW/Audi/BMW big wheel/small clearances, you are just as well off picking up a cheap set in France. See which are recommended here http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/ and post result if you would like comment.

Curiously, you might expect a big 4x4 would be no problem for chains.
But no!

The LR discovery 3/4 has serious clearance issues on the front, with the stock wheels / tyres.  There's not enough clearance between the inside of the tyres and a suspension strut.   I've had to install 30mm (IIRC) spacers to shift the wheels out a bit to give the clearance required for proper chains.

Well worth it, tho.
Can go anywhere ( ish ) in deep snow.
Altho LR don't advise chains on all 4 wheels, off-road clubs and websites do.

You know you're in deep do-do and going to have to get out the SHUVVEL when you have a steady, slow 4-wheel spin and are sinking into the snow...

« Reply #142 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »
Look. The A40 is not called the Autoroute Blanche for no reason. There is no guarantee that you won't need chains on it. Unlikely if you travel in popular times but I've had chains on for those routes before now, it can happen, honest. Shove some chains in the car at some stage and hope you never have to use them.

Don't automatically believe what the sellers tell you, either. Choose, come back here and check before splashing out.

(and yes, I did fondly image big 4x4 didn't have the same sort of problems)

Feanor

« Reply #143 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »
And another thing:

Once you have bought chains, practice putting them on in non-winter conditions.
It takes a bit of practice, and usually requires you to drive the vehicle forward a half-turn of the wheels to let you tension it up properly.
It's bloody nasty cold hard work when it comes to it in difficult conditions.
The chains will look like a cat's-cradle of tangled nonsense the first time you use them.

Be sure that the first time is not in anger, where you are also learning.
Be sure you've done the learning ahead of time, so it's just a case of getting on with it.

Seriously.
Half an hour at home in +3 November is worth over an hour in the Alps in -16 in a blizzard in an Aire de Chainage.

PaulF

« Reply #144 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »
And another thing:

It takes a bit of practice, and usually requires you to drive the vehicle forward a half-turn of the wheels to let you tension it up properly.
The chains will look like a cat's-cradle of tangled nonsense the first time you use them.

Be sure you've done the learning ahead of time, so it's just a case of getting on with it.

Seriously.
Half an hour at home in +3 November is worth over an hour in the Alps in -16 in a blizzard in an Aire de Chainage.

Very good advice, I've fitted chains once in my life when I was working in the Alps and had to fit them for a guest on the basis of "he works he he must know what to do". I think I have the scars to prove it. Sadly not the memory of how to!

« Reply #145 on: 05 November, 2012, 11:08:00 pm »
Retensioning is needed but half a turn backwards also works, and is usually easier if you've come to a stop uphill, but a proper retension after 100m is still a must! Take marigold gloves to fit the chains with, these allow a bit of protection and shield you from the wet which is the real problem for wicking heat and dexterity. Practice in UK first in the dark - several times!

Fairly easy to fit and is something like this...

Pass chains behind wheel in whichever direction that drags most side chain behind (as a rule - ish) or allows the side chain clamp to lie against the floor (so it is available to accept chain once flipped up against tyre). Lift up the rear wire back loop ends to 12 o'clock and socket the ends together, gather up side chains on the front from the six o'clock position up to around to say 10 and 2 o'clock and join with cross link bit (usually green or red) then reach back behind and drop the wire loop to be equidistant from rim (makes tensioning easier and can prove the chains actually fit!). Then gather side tensioner chains from 6 o'clock and pull as tight as possible, zig-zagging as needed. Drive a few metres and retension and then again in say 50-100m and retension again.

Always check a hire car actually has chains, I had guests who had a nice dog retaining net supplied 'by mistake' once, several sets have been either too small or too big - always read the label as the advert goes...

See image:- http://tinyurl.com/aqx5tcr for standard supermarket chain image, better chains have 'self tensioning' but still need a bit of gentle use before relying on them (I prefer ordinary chains).

« Reply #146 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:13:54 am »
And another thing:

Seriously.

+1.

While we're on the subject, try your best to put them on before they really become necessary, instead of trying to chain up a vehicle that is up to its axles in snow. DNAHIKT.

« Reply #147 on: 06 November, 2012, 08:03:23 am »
Here's a summary of the available chains on the marked from my POV:

First, 9mm chains will fit a lot of cars, even those that say you can't. Experiment with a piece  of 15mm dowel (chains get thrown out a bit), being particularly careful around struts, wheelarch clearances considering full load. On your own head be it though.

0 - Snow socks. Useful for emergency will cope with most ploughed trafficed roads but cannot cope with anything difficult.
1 - Basic chains. Cheap, functional, get the job done. Can be frustratingly difficult to put on especially in adverse conditions and become harder to use on repeat use. Benefit from dousing in WD40 after use. You can pay more than cheap for them too, often branded by manufacturers, best bought on the continent. Compact.
2 - Mid range self tensioning chains. Worth the extra, cost around £150, easier to fit but a true halfway house - some of the advantages of basic, some of the advantages of autofit, disadvantages of both, too, but reasonably compact.
3 - Autofit. Top end stuff, £250-£300. v easy and quick to fit, the spider type (Weissenfells / Thule are the best) will fit any car, but compromise on the grip. There's a new Thule one that I haven't tried that looks the dogs danglies, but uses 9mm chain. One big downside (apart from the cost) is the size - they are bulky.
-1 - The Mita alternative - just don't. My experience: http://extraspecialtreat.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/mita-tyre-chains-review-fail.html

If you have a big wheeled car, especially RWD, consider the more sophisticated chains, fitting ordinary ones can be exponentially difficult.

« Reply #148 on: 06 November, 2012, 09:30:44 am »
Pass chains behind wheel in whichever direction that drags most side chain behind (as a rule - ish) or allows the side chain clamp to lie against the floor (so it is available to accept chain once flipped up against tyre). Lift up the rear wire back loop ends to 12 o'clock and socket the ends together, gather up side chains on the front from the six o'clock position up to around to say 10 and 2 o'clock and join with cross link bit (usually green or red) then reach back behind and drop the wire loop to be equidistant from rim (makes tensioning easier and can prove the chains actually fit!). Then gather side tensioner chains from 6 o'clock and pull as tight as possible, zig-zagging as needed. Drive a few metres and retension and then again in say 50-100m and retension again.

I worked in transport in the Alps one season and fitted chains god knows how many times. One thing I did discover is that no two sets of chains have exactly the same fitting instructions.

Wot everyone else said - practise in the light, when it's warm and dry.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #149 on: 06 November, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »

I worked in transport in the Alps one season and fitted chains god knows how many times. One thing I did discover is that no two sets of chains have exactly the same fitting instructions.

Wot everyone else said - practise in the light, when it's warm and dry.

I quite agree that no two sets of chains ever have the same fiiting instructions, but they all fitted damn near the same no matter how it was phrased, I've also done a bit in the Alps.

One thing to watch for is that the chains are 'Y' chains and not ladder, the latter literally look like a ladder on the tyre - with big gaps between rungs that you may just lock the brakes into - could make for a bad day  :o   (not seen them in years though).