Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127673 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #300 on: 19 November, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »
I don't know about Hotronic, but the concept of boot warmers is very much endorsed by Mrs P.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #301 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:07:02 pm »
I bought new ski boots last month, to replace a several years old pair. I was persuaded that inner boot technology might have moved forward sufficiently that I wouldn't necessarily need my boot warmers anymore.....but having read this I might just make a little slot in the heel for the cable in case I decide I still need them after all.
(Sadly the new purchase was not one of the models that came with a cable routing port built in...)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #302 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
Some ski boots have always been warmer than others, but inner boots in general have been getting warmer over the years. I'm convinced that clothing the rest of the body properly (good long underwear, a good wool hat, face and neck protection and good gloves or mittens to start with) and snug, properly fitted boots are worth more in keeping one's feet warm than electric heaters that only keep your feet warm until the battery dies.

« Reply #303 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:40:24 pm »
'fraid cold is still cold, even if it is modern cold. Miss Ham has particular problems with her extremities, and needs the boot heaters to stay out, even though she has girly furry shoes.

And boot heaters don't warm feet as much as stop them getting cold, batteries are good for a day's skiing (at least hotronic are).  For those that suffer, no number of layers or passive insulation manage to do what is needed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #304 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
Interestingly enough, the boot fitters reckoned my old boots might have been a bit too big. Well....I'll find out soon. Like Miss Ham, my heaters stop my toes from feeling like they're going to snap off, rather than being warm.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #305 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
Interestingly enough, the boot fitters reckoned my old boots might have been a bit too big. Well....I'll find out soon. Like Miss Ham, my heaters stop my toes from feeling like they're going to snap off, rather than being warm.

At one time it was estimated that 80-90% of all skiers were in boots that were at least one size too big, and at least 5% had boots that were two sizes too big. Some of my more frustrating moments as a ski instructor were when a student would be completely unable to improve past a certain point, just because his/her boots were too loose to  control his/her skis.

Let us know how the new boots work out.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #306 on: 20 November, 2013, 09:59:17 pm »
Mark, I think that's still the case.

The first pair of properly-fitted boots I got was in Banff, Canada, many years ago now.
The fitter was obviously much more knowledgeable than anyone I'd used before, by some margin.
However, my initial impression was that they were too small.
That's because I'd become accustomed to a carpet-slipper fit.
But I went with the fitter's advice, and was glad I did.

If you just go to the local shop here, they are not really that expert.
It's just a case of 'try them on, and see how they feel'.

R.

« Reply #307 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »
I have a particular problem with very wide feet (and historically with bunions). When I got my current boots, I lashed out on a set of conformable' footbeds - worth every penny.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #308 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:42:17 pm »
I am thinking of buying new boots.  I have a big problem though. I am at the lower end of male foot size.  I am a wide 6½.  It is unusual for shops to stock a range of boots in this size. So it is tricky to get what I want.

I have already spent too much on ski stuff this year. I decided that my ski jacket was very faded. I saw someone in a lift queue, a couples of years ago, with the identical jacket. This man had obviously not skiied as often as me because his colours were bright compared to mine. The other aging problem was, I wanted a jacket with ski pass pocket on the sleeve. My exisiting one had a  tab for attaching the string retractor for an older lift pass system. Unfortunately the modern rfid pass in a pocket have been awkward or unreliable. So I bought a Eider Garmisch III jacket. Also two Odlo base layers and two Odlo mid layers. I also bought an Odlo soft shell to use in spring skiing. Finally I bought a Giro Seam helmet. I suspect I will need to buy a new pair of goggles my current ones may not fit with the helmet. So I have spent too much for boots this year.

« Reply #309 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »
Ref boot liners, I bought some ZipFit (?) liners a few years ago. Oil and cork granule filling which, so the marketing line went, mould themselves to your feet.

They are simply fantabulous. First day is a bit painful (whilst they have to adapt to the shape of my feet again), but after that they are very snug and I can leave the boots done up all day. I have never had anything as comfortable.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #310 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »
And here's the link.

They can be retrofitted to your existing boots.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #311 on: 23 November, 2013, 12:10:48 pm »
Yad Moss was open yesterday, it was on page 4 of the Guardian today. It looks a bit thin, but it made lots of local papers in the North. http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/89968/whitley-bay-photographer-captures-snows-as-freezing-night-forecast

Looking a bit grey today.
http://test.yadmoss.co.uk/

« Reply #312 on: 23 November, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
Reminder to self - must get bindings fixed to new skis or I may not be skiing much the first day over christmas.

Done, mine and miss Ham's.

As a minor aside, I phoned up to speak to the techie at Lacroix (expensive French skis, bought a pair cheap - £99 - for Miss Ham earlier in the year). I was getting on fine in French until I came up against the bit where I gave the name of the skis, which are called iLand (yeah, whatever). I pronounced it as if I were reading French - ih-lond, the techie was baffled until he realised - "Ah... eye-land". Oh well.

Feanor

« Reply #313 on: 23 November, 2013, 06:23:57 pm »
Hmm, I have 8 pairs of skis to wax and edge before the 20th Dec.

Has anyone ever tried to teach a pair of octopuses[1] to ski?  It's bloody hard work.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_form_of_words_ending_in_-us#Octopus

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #314 on: 23 November, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »
You're a sucker for that sort of thing.

Feanor

« Reply #315 on: 23 November, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »
Well, I had the work inked-in on my schedule anyway.

« Reply #316 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:40:46 am »
Did you not know that today is National Edge & Wax day? Fact.

(Trying to think of a way of working in the sick squid joke, failing, maybe because I cooked calamari fritte last night)

Why are octopuses good at rugby? Because they have ten tackles.

Feanor

« Reply #317 on: 24 November, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
Did you not know that today is National Edge & Wax day? Fact.

Yes, but that's just in Brazil.

Jakob

« Reply #318 on: 29 November, 2013, 09:07:51 pm »
GnnNnnnnRnnrn...it's been dry all week and now the temps are going up and it'll rain (even in alpine) this weekend...
Whistler wont get rain, but only a handful of runs are open and at $83, it's not worth it....

« Reply #319 on: 06 December, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »
Don't try this at home...

http://mpora.com/videos/AAdh3ycnmdd3

ETA - ifn fact - a great waste of Friday afternoon is http://mpora.com/

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #320 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:02:10 pm »
I'm getting nervous about the snow.  In November I was quite happy about the development of the alpine snow line.  A few big falls at the end of November had brought it down to around 1500m in the Tarentaise. Obviously the lower lying falls will have melted by then but since then nothing. I am off to Cervinia for Christmas.  There will not be any new snow until next weekend.  So I may not be enjoying the long runs from the top down into Valtourneche. I'm not sure if the Italian Aosta resorts are snow cannoned as much as the big French resorts.

Looking at La Plagne on webcams.  I found a low lying webcam pointing at Montchevin. This showed not enough snow but had enormous piles of artificial snow ready to be spread onto soon to be pistes. Looking across to Valandry in Les Arcs it is clear that the snow field is down to resort level but no further. There are probably some closed pistes here and there in Paradiski. Skiing down the black from Belllecote glacier down to Montchevin may be a no no. As could the blacks heading towards Montalbert. I thought Champagny en Vanoise was looking terrible then noticed the webcam had not be updated since May. I assume Ham will be OK at Belle Plagne its just that the frayed edges will be dodgy.

« Reply #321 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
Derniere neige 30/11/13....Généralement sec.....

Oh well. The last couple of years have been really brilliant, musn't grumble.

Grumble grumble grumble

Jakob

« Reply #322 on: 16 December, 2013, 05:28:37 am »
Finally got up to Cypress (Local mountain) on Thursday. Only 2 runs open, all with man made snow, which was actually decent enough and while it quickly got boring, it was a good warm-up. Forecast is pretty mixed all around. My favourite area at Whistler is not open yet, so I wont bother going there until it is...
This time last year, we were happily running the black tree runs at Cypress, which requires loads of fresh snow to be worthwhile...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #323 on: 16 December, 2013, 01:21:08 pm »
The forecast is promising snow for the end of the week. 20cm or so is better than nothing.  Will make the pistes much better.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #324 on: 19 December, 2013, 01:36:16 pm »