Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 126319 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #350 on: 03 January, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
Just back from a couple of weeks in Breck, Colorado.
It's been snowing quite a lot, and we had several powder days.
Some days, the viz was poor due to the cloud being down and it dumping down.
High winds above the tree line too, on the T-bar and on Imperial, when it was running.
Much of the hike-to and gated terrain was closed unfortunately.

Only a couple of photos ( I CBA taking photos when I'm out skiing! )
Here's us about to head into a steepish wooded glade called Windows:

Windows - Breckenridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

On another part of the same mountain, in amongst the forest you may stumble across some home-made signage.
Here's the entrance to a glade called The Doors.  We first came across this several years ago, but we usually go back there just for fun.
The sign being home-made with a sharpie marker has faded over the years, and is now barely readable.
It's written in the font style of The Doors album cover:

The Doors - Breckenridge by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #351 on: 22 January, 2014, 01:28:40 pm »
Phew! Work has just approved leave for the March holiday that I applied for last September. I was getting worried they sometime ban all leave in the first four months of the year. At the moment I am glad I booked in March this January has not had a lot of sun shine.  Still that means more snow.

« Reply #352 on: 22 January, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »
Going to Laax again for a long weekend (4 days skiing) boys trip in March.

Money mostly saved for family skiing holiday in 2015 (half term to think about now!). Woo!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #353 on: 22 January, 2014, 07:07:44 pm »
Four days in Flaine with two chaps to whom I give 14 years each. Boy, did my legs hurt when I got back.

I think in one day we covered as much ground as I would in half a week with the family.

One day of slight overcast. One sunny day. One snowy day and then a day of fresh snow. Fabulous fun. But no mid-morning stops !

Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #354 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:44:33 pm »
Packed and ready to go :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

« Reply #355 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »
Gits!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #356 on: 24 January, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »
You've had yours already, don't be greedy ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #357 on: 02 February, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »
And we're back. Mixed bag weatherwise, but we got 6 full days in. Food was good - Mrs P determined where to find the best germknoedel  :P 

Some pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pingus/sets/72157640408843086/

Some tracks (you can see where we stopped for lunch!):
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994622
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994618
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994636
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994639
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994641
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3994643

Ruth

« Reply #358 on: 02 February, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »
Pingu, what a gorgeous place.

Feanor

« Reply #359 on: 02 February, 2014, 11:16:03 pm »
Looks good!

And those look like actual GPS tracklogs.
Have you availed yourself of such a unit as might be suitable for DIYxGPS?

F.

« Reply #360 on: 03 February, 2014, 12:25:42 pm »
And we're back.

Excellent pics/tracks.

If you go back then give Zurser Tali (from the top of the Muggengrat-Tali lift from Zurs) a go. Lovely long sweeping red.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #361 on: 03 February, 2014, 12:40:55 pm »
Looks good!

And those look like actual GPS tracklogs.
Have you availed yourself of such a unit as might be suitable for DIYxGPS?

F.

It was Mrs P's phone.

I am seriously considering getting GPS thingummy for DIYxGPS, though.

Jakob

« Reply #362 on: 06 February, 2014, 03:26:57 am »
My shoulder is not entirely doomed. (And my physio is also a snow-fiend)..and it looks like I might just have to call in sick Tues/Weds next week:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/mid

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #363 on: 06 February, 2014, 10:52:49 pm »
I forgot to mention - helmets! There must've been 90% coverage  ::-)

« Reply #364 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:53:55 am »
Winter Olympics - whatever happened to ski ballet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awkqte1mgcs

On another note, my tickets for Banff arrived  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: along with a piste map. The US ones really suck compared to the French ones, eh?Question though, please. The US grading - are the "Double Diamond" blacks really European Black equivalents? Or, are they more red/steep red than black? Any guidance? I ask because Mrs Ham is feeling a little vulnerable at the mo, and I don't want to drag her anywhere she will feel uncomfortable.

« Reply #365 on: 09 February, 2014, 12:26:04 am »
Double diamond slopes in the US are the steepest, most demanding runs at a given ski area. The progression around here is:
Green circle- easiest
Blue square- intermediate
Blue black (blue square w/ black diamond inside)- advanced intermediate
Single black diamond: advanced
Double black diamond: expert
Since you're going to Banff you might want to ask around about how the Canadians rate their slopes. I'm sure the folks at Banff will agree with you about US trail maps, though.

Ruth

« Reply #366 on: 09 February, 2014, 12:30:28 am »
Winter Olympics - whatever happened to ski ballet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awkqte1mgcs

On another note, my tickets for Banff arrived  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: along with a piste map. The US ones really suck compared to the French ones, eh?Question though, please. The US grading - are the "Double Diamond" blacks really European Black equivalents? Or, are they more red/steep red than black? Any guidance? I ask because Mrs Ham is feeling a little vulnerable at the mo, and I don't want to drag her anywhere she will feel uncomfortable.

My understanding is that it's resort-specific.  Although black double-diamond is still the hardest, iyswim.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #367 on: 09 February, 2014, 12:32:15 am »
Ham - there's no agreement about slope grading between any resorts anywhere AFAICT. Or even within the same resort sometimes  ::-)

« Reply #368 on: 09 February, 2014, 08:35:10 am »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Did I really say US? oops. Sorry 35,000,000 times, OK?

Look I really don't have much time to spend online at the moment all right?  Again? OK, ANOTHER 35,000,000

I'm familiar with the vagaries of run grading, just that the euro alpine maps give you a better sense of the terrain, also there are few areas that are served just with real blacks. Think I'll tell Mrs Ham black is the Canadian red and see where we get to.

Feanor

« Reply #369 on: 09 February, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
In general, I'd say the gradings work a bit like this:

US green = European green.  Pretty much flat, can be skied by anyone.
US blue = Wide range, covering stuff I'd consider green, through stuff I'd consider Euro-blue and into stuff that would be Euro-red.
US black = Euro-Red + a bit of easier euro-black.
US Black double-diamond = Euro proper black.
US Black double-diamond EX ( Extreme Terrain ) = Euro ducking-under-the-ropes couloirs etc.   Generally gated and/or hike-to terrain.

The lack of a Red in the US system is a bit confusing for euro-types.
Basically, if you are confident on euro-reds you'll be fine on US blacks.

Double-diamond and above will be un-pisted natural terrain, with obstacles, like trees.   Narrow steep glades through the trees are superb.   In the US you will find yourself in amongst trees much more than in Europe, where you're above the tree-line most of the time.   In general, much less crowded.  You won't come across the steep section with a beginner stopped on top of every mogul like you can in Europe.

It's been 10 years since I was in Banff, and I mostly skied Lake Louise then ( better crèche facilities at the time ).
Banff itself is a decent enough little town, and the ski areas are about an hour drive away along the scenic highway.
We saw a bear away off to the side of the road.
You will probably find Lake Louise a bit small compared to the mega Euro areas like 3 vallees and Espace Killy.   There's not much on the mountain, and you'll generally return to the base area for lunch.   But the snow conditions are superb.   Be prepared for it to be *cold*.

Have fun.

« Reply #370 on: 09 February, 2014, 10:39:14 pm »
Thanks for the translation, Feanor, that's what I was hoping for. Basically, it sounds as if as long as we avoid the ET Mrs Ham should be ok (although we regularly ski closed reds - they're quiet!). She's fine on steep as long as it isn't crowded, but I'll probably avoid the double diamond on account of how she has slowed down in recent years so unpisted can be hard work. Mrs Ham has Hotronic liners, any number of layers and Little Hotties. We'll just have fun.

Feanor

« Reply #371 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:55:08 pm »
Just a quick note...

In Europe, it's considered OK to duck under the ropes to access interesting terrain.
That's totally not-OK in the US.

The ski-area boundaries will be well-defined with ropes etc, and there will be 'gates' to access off-piste areas.
You can only access off-piste areas through the official gates, which may be open or not.
Do *not* attempt to cross the ski area boundaries elsewhere.

Also, last year there were speed cops!
Yup, if you were deemed too fast through the 'slow ski' areas, they'd pull your pass!

R.

Jakob

« Reply #372 on: 17 February, 2014, 04:21:00 am »
Just a quick note...

In Europe, it's considered OK to duck under the ropes to access interesting terrain.
That's totally not-OK in the US.

The ski-area boundaries will be well-defined with ropes etc, and there will be 'gates' to access off-piste areas.
You can only access off-piste areas through the official gates, which may be open or not.
Do *not* attempt to cross the ski area boundaries elsewhere.

Also, last year there were speed cops!
Yup, if you were deemed too fast through the 'slow ski' areas, they'd pull your pass!

R.

Hmm? I think that varies from resort to resort. Mt Baker got a variety of warnings depends on the terrain. Some of the in-bound terrain (The canyon mainly)  is often closed due to avalanche danger and the signs there pretty much say that you *will* die if you enter there (when closed) and that your family will be charged for recovering your corpse.
 On the two top lifts, it's just the usual backcountry warning: Know what you're doing, don't go alone, tell some one you're going and have appropriate gear (beacons, poles, shovels and radios).
Never seen speed patrol at Mt. Baker, but they're common at Whistler, especially near closing when idiots thinks it's cool to go flatout on a super-crowded green run. Also, they'll tell you to slow down, it's only when you don't that you risk losing your pass.

In other news, the snow has finally arrived in the PNW. Baker got 3 meters(!) in the last 6 days and the forecast for the next 7 days is full of snow.

« Reply #373 on: 17 February, 2014, 11:35:08 am »

Hmm? I think that varies from resort to resort. Mt Baker got a variety of warnings depends on the terrain. Some of the in-bound terrain (The canyon mainly)  is often closed due to avalanche danger and the signs there pretty much say that you *will* die if you enter there (when closed) and that your family will be charged for recovering your corpse.
 On the two top lifts, it's just the usual backcountry warning: Know what you're doing, don't go alone, tell some one you're going and have appropriate gear (beacons, poles, shovels and radios).
Never seen speed patrol at Mt. Baker, but they're common at Whistler, especially near closing when idiots thinks it's cool to go flatout on a super-crowded green run. Also, they'll tell you to slow down, it's only when you don't that you risk losing your pass.

In other news, the snow has finally arrived in the PNW. Baker got 3 meters(!) in the last 6 days and the forecast for the next 7 days is full of snow.

Different US states have different laws about accessing the back country from ski areas. Colorado state law says you have to use a backcountry access gate to access the backcountry from a ski area, and ski patrol for that area will decide whether or not to open the gate depending on conditions. The reasoning is that, if people see tracks leaving the ski area, they will assume that it's safe to ski out of bounds whether it is or not.

Speed patrol at Vail seems to make some allowance for skiing ability before they decide to tell you to slow down. I recall coming into the base area at a good rate of speed and getting "Good afternoon, sir", from a safety patrol person, while he was saying "slow down please" to all the people I was passing.

« Reply #374 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:13:40 pm »
1st day yesterday, snow is fantastic. Of course the Family Day weekend holiday  in Alberta meant that there was a Euro style queue for the gondola at the bottom of Sunshine Village, the locals could be heard complaining! but, after that, no queues. Piste marking is a lot less distinct here, but actually doesn't seem to matter too much as the "off piste" is relatively tame (disclaimer:unlikely to be the case in the Back country areas) not encountered anything scary yet, but again more to do with the choices than the mountain. And yes, I've avoided ducking underneath closed areas.