Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484223 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20175 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:49:44 am »
Studs for me too, the whole of the locks and the bottom of Irlam Road were a solid sheet of ice last night and things weren't going to get better overnight so discretion being the better part of valour and all that I chose the slooooow bike. In all reality it's not that much slower, what you lose in efficiency you gain in confidence.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20176 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:26:41 am »
I walked the last couple of hundred metres to work into a blizzard - zero visibility due to hard snow in the face, slippery road & getting blown about by the wind = type 2 fun.

« Reply #20177 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:47:20 am »
I walked the last couple of hundred metres to work

Wimp!

;D

« Reply #20178 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:03:49 pm »
Well I got here. It's been a blizzard ever since so the homeward journey might be fun. At least the wind is behind going home.

Schwalbe winter Marathons fitted coped admirably. I'm sure a Spiker would have been even more grippy but I didn't feel I was in trouble at any point.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #20179 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:24:08 pm »

I saw someone on a Brompton as I set out. Doubt they do studded tyres for those!

Oh they do!

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=144537;menu=1000,2,103,202;pgc%5B3039%5D=3042;page=2

(Other studded tyres may be available in Brompton sizes as well as these!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #20180 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
Blimey, I might get a pair! 18" as well & I've just flogged the Birdy!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #20181 on: 28 February, 2018, 05:42:54 pm »
It was a bit nippy both ways today.

I was surprised to see a sandwich board man standing by an exposed out of town roundabout advertising Papa Johns pizzas on the way home.  It was minus five!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20182 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:09:43 pm »
Balaclava!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #20183 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:55:15 am »
Been riding the trike for most of this cold winter. Needed rarely but it's nice when you hit the odd ice patch.

This week though - it is MADE for these conditions.

« Reply #20184 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:36:47 am »
That wind is truly evil, this threatens to be one of the toughest weeks commuting for many a year, winter 2010/11 springs to mind but it's nowt like that yet. My latest Scarpa's obviously aren't as warm as the ones I had back then, getting cold toes despite the use of silk socks and tin foil under the insoles, still got a few winter tricks left but not many.

Today and tomorrow looks to be the worst of it.

« Reply #20185 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:49:12 am »
It was a bit nippy both ways today.

I was surprised to see a sandwich board man standing by an exposed out of town roundabout advertising Papa Johns pizzas on the way home.  It was minus five!

Bargain!

« Reply #20186 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:50:46 am »
Hard work today, but hardly anyone seems to have bothered going out so I was mostly carving my own route along the paths until I caught up with the guy on the fatbike.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20187 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:05:17 am »
I walked the last couple of hundred metres to work

Wimp!

;D

Yup  :)

The roads were clearer today and there was much less traffic. No walking at all!

« Reply #20188 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:50:34 am »
-4C when I set out and my thumbs were in need of a thaw by the time I arrived 40 minutes later. I used to cycle in -15C in Sweden in the early 90s and I don't recall it being so tough despite having inferior kit then. I was, however, 25 years younger!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20189 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:53:03 am »
Probably drier air in Sweden too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20190 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:27:45 pm »
Only 33% humidity in my back garden today. It's purely my age :)

« Reply #20191 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:16:37 pm »
Slowest commute ever (twice as long as my fastest) but big smug grin for most of the way, despite the freezing headwind (14kph into the brunt of it along Millbank).

Studded tyres (Marathon Winter) definitely required for the first half a mile on ungritted roads, but the remaining 7 miles would have mostly been fine on normal tyres, but having the studs there gave me all the confidence I needed even if I were to hit an icy patch.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20192 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:49:37 pm »
Well the Schwalbe Winters are earning their keep despite the lack of anything but a light dusting of snow, but that was hard work. That wind is brutal.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #20193 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:51:17 pm »
Slow ride home for me too & not a pleasant journey. The Ice Spikers are fine on ice, but not at all good on snow & slush & that is what I had to contend with a lot of the ride and I was tramlining constantly. I nearly had an off in Kenilworth in a queue of traffic I was riding around. The outer studs on the tyres saved me. I shan't be riding tomorrow. The snow is forecast to persist overnight and into the morning. The drive in will NOT be fun...

« Reply #20194 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:20:09 am »
...and the drive in was a piece of piss! No school run traffic and those wiser than me heeded the travel advice. Still, the condition of the roads justified my decision after the treacherous conditions yesterday.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #20195 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:30:26 am »
I had to walk up Sodding-Great-Hill-With-Added-Speed-Humps this morning. It was a sheet of ice covered in compacted sno. The contractors who are responsible for doing our roads under Privatisation For Greater Efficiency haven't been earning the huge wodge of tax-payers money they're getting. We never had this problem when the QM's dept did it.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #20196 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:19:39 am »
Brutal wind and still ice on the hill where I live so car to the end of the M66 then on the bike. My Rapha winter hat earning it's keep. I was warm but had some proper kit on :thumbsup:. irritatingly I lost a lobster claw glove (Assos) last night >:(. It was carried off by the wind when I put gloves/helmet down to open the garage door. If anybody finds on in North Manchester pm me please. Its a black/blue lobsterclaw.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20197 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:09:38 pm »
Well done to all who made it in to work!
Getting there...

« Reply #20198 on: 02 March, 2018, 06:03:51 pm »
I took the MTB fearing the worst. Could've used the road bike

« Reply #20199 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:30:09 am »
The Ice Spikers are fine on ice, but not at all good on snow & slush

Thursday morning the most challenging with patches of thick compressed snow wheel ruts. I get the odd slide on the studs in these conditions but I've never 'lost' the bike. Thankfully the roads were quiet with many not at work.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5