Author Topic: trkseg on an Etrex 20x  (Read 1307 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
trkseg on an Etrex 20x
« on: 26 June, 2016, 07:37:07 am »
I've previously used an Etrex 20 but now have a 20x.  On my old Etrex 20 whenever I switched the Garmin off & back on during a ride (eg when stopping at a cafe) it would result in a trkseg being created in the tracklog. (Obviously only noticeable when looking at the trkseg after a ride.)  This isn't happening on my new 20x and I cannot find anything in the set up that seems likely to be the cause of this change. Anyone got any hints?

Pippa has a 20x and whenever she turns her Garmin off & back on again during the day a trkseg is created in the tracklog.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Phil W

Re: trkseg on an Etrex 20x
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2016, 02:28:03 pm »
Is this after turning off and moving a reasonable distance?. If you haven't moved far or the time it is off is minimal then I wouldn't really think it matters all that much the trkpoints in the trkseg will still be reasonably logically connected.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:04:59 pm »
They are anyway, depending on the software that  is interpreting the data.
Generally, any recorded track <trk> will contain at least one trackseg <trkseg> and sometimes several.  But mostly, software will ignore the <trkseg> elements and just integrate everything as a <trk>.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2016, 06:42:15 am »
Yip, tracklogs containing files with trkseg parts just gets dumped into a single file, but I've found it useful having the trkseg parts in the file because I may end up breaking a tracklog into two if, for example, I've taken a ferry. Sometimes there's bit elevation spikes and when the Garmin has been switched off for a while and it's also nice being able to remove the inconsistencies. 

Anyway, problem now kinda solved.  I've discovered the tracklog will contain all trkseg parts after the file has been automatically achieved by my Etrex 20.  Grab the "Current" file, no trkseg.  Grab the archived file and the file contains trkseg components.  It's a bit odd, but there you go.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/