Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Knowledge / Re: Teach me about setting up a record player
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 04:54:09 pm »
There's a pretty good FB group for hi-fi buy & sell, as well as advice:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/147779992487350

Woofage jnr got into vinyl collecting a couple of years ago. I acquired him a s/h Rega turntable, initially played through my phono pre-amp that I molished about 25 years ago and into a basic mini hi-fi ("borrowed" from his sister) and a pair of old Celestion speakers that I acquired during my days at the co. He now has his own phono pre-amp (Pro-Ject, about £100-ish) and the whole setup sounds pretty good. It needs a better amp though.

It was always the case that, following garbage in = garbage out, the hierarchy of components should be source > amp > speakers. Opinion sometimes differs, but you can't go wrong with this approach.

Used Rega, Pro-Ject, AR, Dual, Thorens etc belt-drive turntables can be had for reasonable money and will last forever.
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by BrianI on Today at 04:52:41 pm »
So I bought myself a blood pressure monitor today,
a "Kinetic Wellbeing Blood Pressure Monitor" from the store which used to have a Laminated Book of Dreams.

The monitor showed a reading of 131/89 which according to the NHS Check your Blood Pressure Website is High!

https://www.nhs.uk/health-assessment-tools/check-your-blood-pressure-reading

No doubt it's my FND as well causing this.

I do think I'll monitor it for a couple of weeks then make appointment with GP to discuss,  especially as I'm still having a "pressurised head" feeling.

Don't believe a single reading.  Always take three over a period of time and the lowest will probably be the most accurate.  The first one is normally the worst... with a bit of 'white coat' effect.

I'll certainly be taking readings morning and night for a couple of weeks before consulting GP!
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 04:49:30 pm »
It actually made me think of one of my own favourite (much shorter) rides, which includes a short but steep hill just outside Gloucester. Heading back south, you crest the hill and get your first view of the city, which is dead flat (as well as obviously much, much smaller than London) and I'm still struck how, in 2024, the tallest building is still the cathedral.

That may be a deliberate planning thing, like in that Canterbury that they have now, where the Arch Bish has some sort of veto over large erections and anagrams of "fuck".

I think that's something of an urban myth.  The Cathedral authorities will probably be statutory consultees but they won't have a veto as such.  The main protection for the Cathedral and the city skyline will come from the designation of World Heritage status, underpinned by the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 and the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979, the various Planning Acts, together with the National Planning Policy Framework and Circular 07/09 and the council's Local Plan.  There will be protected views of the Cathedral which will prevent high rise buildings from being built nearby.

« Last post by Graeme on Today at 04:39:40 pm »
I don't know if I'm helping or just rewording what I've already written.
Both. You're adding more, but also just rewording can often be helpful.

I've sent a message about this to someone I know who recently converted to Judaism, but he hasn't replied yet. Not that I'd expect him to know, necessarily – he hasn't actually AFAIK undergone a formal conversion, just read a bit and started following various dietary and other Jewish rules. And it's just occurred to me ask someone else I know, who's an ordained Druid (I didn't know till earlier this year druids had ordination, but apparently they do; I think you even have to pass an exam!).

Is there something that is niggling at you about this? Something you're trying to wrap your head around?
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by Delidroid on Today at 04:32:41 pm »
Thank you all for the advice.
Freeflow. Today I changed the tyres and handlebars with what I had in the shed. A pair of thick slick tyres and a W shaped handlebar. I rode to Cobham which is 4.4 miles (I got lost going) coming home took me under 30 minutes. I feel like I’ve busted something between my legs. That nerve. It could be the set up or change of handlebars that contributed.
Blodwyn  pig. Thank you for the invite but I shall ride 25 Km in the cyclo park first so that I know I can do it. My usual rides are never more than 1 1/2 Miles at a time.
a "Kinetic Wellbeing Blood Pressure Monitor" from the store which used to have a Laminated Book of Dreams.

The monitor showed a reading of 131/89 which according to the NHS Check your Blood Pressure Website is High!

I do think I'll monitor it for a couple of weeks then make appointment with GP to discuss,  especially as I'm still having a "pressurised head" feeling.

Don't believe a single reading.  Always take three over a period of time and the lowest will probably be the most accurate.  The first one is normally the worst... with a bit of 'white coat' effect.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 04:11:15 pm »
In My View - Young Fathers
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by BrianI on Today at 04:09:47 pm »

The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 04:07:26 pm »
Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone - The Temptations
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 04:06:44 pm »
It actually made me think of one of my own favourite (much shorter) rides, which includes a short but steep hill just outside Gloucester. Heading back south, you crest the hill and get your first view of the city, which is dead flat (as well as obviously much, much smaller than London) and I'm still struck how, in 2024, the tallest building is still the cathedral.

That may be a deliberate planning thing, like in that Canterbury that they have now, where the Arch Bish has some sort of veto over large erections and anagrams of "fuck".
Perhaps, but also Gloucester is not a large city, has no financial or similar industry to send up skyscrapers, and relatively low property prices. And of course being so flat emphasises it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10