Author Topic: Tell me how to load OSM for the UK onto a Garmin etrex Legend HCx  (Read 3241 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
And assume I know nothing!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tell me how to load OSM for the UK onto a Garmin etrex Legend HCx
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2019, 12:13:50 pm »
Starter for 10:

Download OFM(EU2019_GB_GPS).zip from http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe
Unzip, rename the .img file to "gmapsupp.img"
Stick it in a directory called "Garmin" on the SD card.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »
Interesting, I’ve been wondering about this too!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:28:35 pm »
I'd add a rider to Kim's succinct instructions: make sure the SD card is big enough! I don't think there's a limit to the size that the HCx can accept, but I think there might be more than one model. I suspect that the map of the whole of Europe is pretty large. I have the Oregon, which is similar, but it seems to be able to accept files with names other than gmapsupp.img (but it must be .img), can acept more than one map, and when you cross a border between different maps it does so seamlessly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »
It's possible to combine multiple maps into a single .IMG file for the benefit of the HCx series, but that's getting a bit more complicated.  (Easiest way is to install them in Basecamp/Mapsource, and then use that to create a map for the Garmin.  Other tools are available for manipulating .IMG files directly.)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:36:36 pm »
How big an SD card is required?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:52:08 pm »
How big an SD card is required?

The GB and Ireland map I mentioned above is 789M 1.1GB.  You'd struggle to find a card that's too small for that!

ETA: Size listed on the page is for the zipped file.

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2019, 05:17:24 pm »
Thanks.  Max SD card size is 4GB and I'll only want UK maps.  Garmin no longer support the Legend HCx with any maps.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »
Plenty of space with 4Gb

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:22:04 pm »
Not sure if this applies to the HCx but on the Edge you can put as many OSM maps as you like in the Garmin directory on the micro SD card, each map can be renamed for ease of reference as long as the img suffix is kept.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:26:52 pm »
Not sure if this applies to the HCx but on the Edge you can put as many OSM maps as you like in the Garmin directory on the micro SD card, each map can be renamed for ease of reference as long as the img suffix is kept.

The HCx series only recognise one file, which must be named gmapsupp.img - though it can contain as many maps as you like.

This was one of the things they fixed in the eTrex 20/30 and subsequent models like the Edge.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
This is another option for maps: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
I think the "Generic Routable (new style)" looks quite nice, though it doesn't have contours.
You can select a predefined country, or pick individual tiles if you want. Note for predefined countries, it usually has the link to download it straight away. For custom tiles, you have to fill in your email address, then wait for it to build the map.

For copying onto the Etrex, you need to download the file osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip
Then unzip it, and copy onto the SD card as above.

Also check you have the latest firmware on the Etrex. Older versions may have limits on the size of the maps.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2019, 08:40:50 am »
Well, that was easy.  Upgraded the firmware using Basemap, put the OSM generic routable map on a 4GB microSD and it just works.  OSM looks just as clunky as the Garmin maps on an eTrex Legend HCx, yellow and red and hard to read.

The only minor issue is that autorouting is pretty useless; Swindon isn't even in the towns database and, of course, there are no postcodes (Royal Mail copyright*).  Having said that, autorouting was crap even with Garmin CityNavigator maps, with lots of spurious no-through-roads, so I tend to follow a pre-mapped route.

*didn't we once own that?  Bastard Tories

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
OSM looks just as clunky as the Garmin maps on an eTrex Legend HCx, yellow and red and hard to read.

OSM has no concept of what things are rendered and in what style in Basecamp or your GPS.  That's all down to the choices the person(s) made, when they converted it into Garmin format. You then download their output with the choices they made.

Here's is my mapping in Basecamp and on my Etrex.  These are the choices I made, which won't suit everyone, but I find it works well for the type of riding I do.  I find less is more when it comes to mapping and small screen in sunlight.  There's a learning curve to creating your own Garmin maps from OSM but once past initial setup, updates are less than 5 minutes of actual pressing keys (more like clicking buttons) time. Understand you wanted something quick and simple.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2019, 02:08:19 pm »
Well, that was easy.  Upgraded the firmware using Basemap, put the OSM generic routable map on a 4GB microSD and it just works.  OSM looks just as clunky as the Garmin maps on an eTrex Legend HCx, yellow and red and hard to read.
That's why I suggested the generic routable new style. it uses nicer colours than the default, so easier to read.

The only minor issue is that autorouting is pretty useless; Swindon isn't even in the towns database and, of course, there are no postcodes (Royal Mail copyright*).  Having said that, autorouting was crap even with Garmin CityNavigator maps, with lots of spurious no-through-roads, so I tend to follow a pre-mapped route.
Autorouting and finding an address are separate things. Yes, looking up an address doesn't really work. There aren't many complete addresses or postcodes in OSM, and the address data isn't converted properly into the Garmin maps. For finding a town etc, can just go to find menu, then cities. And pick it from the list of nearest.
Autorouting usually works OK, at least for car routing. Setting it to bicycle can give you some interesting routes...