Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514583 times)

We usually have a goose for Xmas, and store the fat for roasting potatoes through the year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
waitrose forgot to deliver my sprouts this morning, so I rang asked if they could do anything.  A nice lady has just dropped some off on her way home, and they've knocked them off the bill as a goodwill gesture.  What great customer service
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Ritter makes new chocolate that isn't chocolate.
The so-called Kakao-Verordnung deems that anything labelled as chocolate must contain cocoa mass, cocoa powder, cocoa butter and sugar.

But Ritter’s new bar, called Cacao y Nada (cocoa and nothing) is 100% cocoa, sourced from its own plantation in Nicaragua. It is sweetened with cocoa juice, which is naturally found in the pulp of the cocoa bean and increasingly recognised as a product in its own right because of a naturally sweet taste said to resemble that of lychees. It was first approved as a foodstuff by the EU almost a year ago.

The use of cocoa juice instead of sugar has led German food regulators to say that Cacao y Nada does not fit its definition of chocolate.
So they're calling it "cocoa fruit bar", which I think sounds pretty good.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/feb/02/ritter-sport-no-sugar-bar-not-chocolate-cacao-y-nada
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Just tried some chilli jam on a bagel. Curious but pleasant.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Due to differences of opinion on the meaning of the word "done", my pork roast stayed in the oven far too long the other day. It was like chewing a dish towel.  Yesterday I cut thick slices, spread them with La Vache Qui Rit and fried them in batter.  Tender as you like and decidedly moreish.  Still got half the roast for today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Yesterday I cut thick slices, spread them with La Vache Qui Rit

C'est cremeux?
Oui, c'est cremeuuuuux
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
La Vache Qui Rit Eleison.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
La Vache Qui Rit Eleison.

Vachement bon!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We used to have a car wash near us that we called the lavage qui rit.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Just tried some chilli jam on a bagel. Curious but pleasant.

Try chili bacon jam, remind me near christmas and I'll send you pot.

The Wanstead Literary and Cottage Pie Appreciation Society

https://www.instagram.com/stories/theglamourtrainer/2507465403773853596/

Always nice when your cooking is appreciated.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The Wanstead Literary and Cottage Pie Appreciation Society

https://www.instagram.com/stories/theglamourtrainer/2507465403773853596/

Always nice when your cooking is appreciated.

“Log in to view this story”

Oh…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Just opened a lovely bottle of Sancerre to go with our roast chicken dinner. It was a gift, and a pretty decent one at that.

But why is this worth posting about? Well, simply because it must be the first bottle of wine I’ve had in *years* that has a natural cork rather than a screw cap.

I didn’t know such things still existed!

Just opened a lovely bottle of Sancerre to go with our roast chicken dinner. It was a gift, and a pretty decent one at that.

But why is this worth posting about? Well, simply because it must be the first bottle of wine I’ve had in *years* that has a natural cork rather than a screw cap.

I didn’t know such things still existed!
You're not drinking enough champagne.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Or even Prosecco...

citoyen

You're not drinking enough champagne.

This is true.

To be perfectly honest, I had totally forgotten that all sparkling wines, including cheap Prosecco, usually have real corks. I do drink a fair amount of Prosecco - it’s usually in plentiful supply at work events.

There was a trend a few years ago at PR parties (when I used to get invited to such things regularly) for serving individual mini bottles of real champagne with devices inserted in the neck to make sipping straight from the bottle easy, or even straws. Those were the days.

citoyen

Changing the subject, but still related to my dinner, a shortage of goose fat in the larder meant I wasn’t sure what to use to cook the roast potatoes. I had some coconut oil, and I know that is tolerant of high temperatures, so I thought it would be worth a try. And it worked an absolute bloomin’ treat. I shall definitely do that again. Highly recommended.

(It was only after I started cooking them that my wife reminded me we had some lard in the fridge, which I would have used if I’d remembered.)

Changing the subject, but still related to my dinner, a shortage of goose fat in the larder meant I wasn’t sure what to use to cook the roast potatoes. I had some coconut oil, and I know that is tolerant of high temperatures, so I thought it would be worth a try. And it worked an absolute bloomin’ treat. I shall definitely do that again. Highly recommended.

(It was only after I started cooking them that my wife reminded me we had some lard in the fridge, which I would have used if I’d remembered.)
Ah pancakes! How's Shrove Tuesday going? With chilli, stir fry and cheese here!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Sainsbury's haven't had any harissa paste for bloody weeks now, and my stock is almost used up.
I could order some Le Phare du Cap brand off Ama$on but I've no idea what it's like.
 >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I STILL have no Sainsbury's own brand raisins.
They had been unavailable since early November but were supplied last week, only for the driver to break the bag, which was returned.
Unavailable this week.

Sainsbury's haven't had any harissa paste for bloody weeks now, and my stock is almost used up.
I could order some Le Phare du Cap brand off Ama$on but I've no idea what it's like.
 >:(
If you're going on-line try:
https://www.souschef.co.uk/pages/search-results?q=harissa

Only issue is the postage, but I'm sure you'll find something else you need on that site somewhere.  :demon:

(No affiliation, but regularly used)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Sainsbo's do the Rose harissa, sounds a bit odd though. But I see from a Google it's Yotam's big thing.

ian

I am a pleased consumer of the Beluza rose harissa (mixed up with yoghurt makes for a nice dip). It doesn't taste of roses, it's just very red. They do an equally pleasing green verbena one too.

citoyen

I second the recommendation for Belazu rose harissa. It's excellent. You can taste the rose in it, but in a good way - it certainly doesn't dominate the flavour. And the chilli kick is pretty powerful.