Author Topic: Sunday Times hates cyclists  (Read 3440 times)

Sunday Times hates cyclists
« on: 25 May, 2020, 06:01:54 am »
‘Tempting’ – Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle on stretching piano wire across road to target cyclists

This is a local lane for local people — go back to your tenements, I shout at them. My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to tie piano wire at neck height across the road. Oh, but it’s tempting.

What a vile creature Liddle must be.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Sunday Times hates cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:35:48 am »
Saw a pic recently of a strand of barbed wire strung across a forest path frequented by mountain-bikers.  Almost invisible in dappled light through trees.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:52:19 am »
Mathew Parris made the same suggestion in print in 2007
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:24:14 am »
How, by any measure, is this considered acceptable?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:43:04 am »
Clickbait.

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:02:02 am »
Saw a pic recently of a strand of barbed wire strung across a forest path frequented by mountain-bikers.  Almost invisible in dappled light through trees.

I ran into a trap like that in the cycle lane out of school in about 1968. Ripped my scalp open.

Luckily I was on a drop handlebar bike and had my head down or I might have lost my eyesight.

Personally I'd execute anyone who advocates doing that. {I suppose a few of you wet liberal pinkos might disagree  ;D}
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:20:01 am »
There was no need for Liddle to shew he's a S-T as this is already a fact universally acknowledged the length and breadth of our fair land.  I wonder what his mate Andrew Gilligan thinks about it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2020, 01:04:21 pm »

I ran into a trap like that in the cycle lane out of school in about 1968. Ripped my scalp open.

Luckily I was on a drop handlebar bike and had my head down or I might have lost my eyesight.

Personally I'd execute anyone who advocates doing that. {I suppose a few of you wet liberal pinkos might disagree  ;D}
With a garrotte?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2020, 01:08:48 pm »
Rod Liddle is a troll.  It's worth ignoring the times he trolls you for the sake of the amusement when he trolls everyone else.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:44:35 am »
The Liddles of the world like to think they're Rourkian iconoclasts, but they're not, they're mostly dull middle-aged blokes straining to pass something meaningful, insightful, or funny and achieving none. Sadly, all the ExLax in the world isn't going to help push anything out, but you can almost feel them straining, and it's not pleasant.

I wouldn't bother feeding them. Honestly, the cyclist thing is so tired now, they're just rehashing the same stale articles every couple of years.

« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:30:16 am »
Mash report's uncleprovocateur
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:01:30 am »
Argh. Don't read the comments.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #13 on: 28 May, 2020, 06:20:38 am »
There was no need for Liddle to shew he's a S-T as this is already a fact universally acknowledged the length and breadth of our fair land.  I wonder what his mate Andrew Gilligan thinks about it.
Then again, Gilligan is also a prize cnut
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #14 on: 28 May, 2020, 07:02:33 am »
Must confess I had never heard of this person before. Really it is the newspaper I blame. After all, as we know there are plenty of people able to write shit:

Argh. Don't read the comments.

It's those that provide them with a wall to smear it on that are most culpable.

« Reply #15 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:55:07 am »
Was astounded by the number of crazy motorcyclists on a stretch of road near York.  The worst example was a long straight after a sharp bend.  Two cars came round after I did and passed me quite normally.  After a bit they were followed by two motorcycles.  At the other end of the straight
an oncoming car appeared.  Although the cars had reached about 60mph the first motorcycle overtook them so then the 2nd had to try.  By that time both cars were close together so he had to pass both but the oncoming car wasn't far away either.   So full throttle, the front wheel of the bike lifts and he's doing a wheelie at heck knows what speed.  It doesn't look like he wanted to do a wheelie because when the front hits the deck the bike snakes around before getting straight.  Was too far ahead to see how it got resolved but at least there was no huge bang and flying bits of vehicle. 

They would have needed huge handfuls of brake because the straight ends in a narrow single lane bridge and traffic lights.

Same road, same day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52825213
Cycling club secretary left with broken back after crash believes he was deliberately hit by driver

It's a route I have often used but I shan't do so again, it's too crazy.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2020, 10:33:37 am »
For years I held the KOM on that piece of road.  I might even still have it  :facepalm: :-[

« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2020, 11:05:28 am »
And this, from the newspaper who vigorously campaigned on behalf of cyclists when one of their staff was mown down by an HGV in London and left (I think) paralysed.

Insitutionally anti-cyclist.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »
How can this not be an incitement to terrorism?

Liddle is making a living being click-bait controversial but some readers will agree that's OK to terrorise a group they don'y agree with.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2020, 10:09:21 pm »
It's well worth reading this piece by Will Self or Rod Liddle. It's 6 years old but loses nothing in the retelling.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/22/selfish-whining-monkeys-rod-liddle-review
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:29:02 am »
It's well worth reading this piece by Will Self or Rod Liddle. It's 6 years old but loses nothing in the retelling.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/22/selfish-whining-monkeys-rod-liddle-review

Is it wrong of me to wish that the country really does fall into the hands of a cabal of Shami Chakrabartis?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime