Off Topic > The Pub

SpaceX Rocket

(1/46) > >>

LEE:
The SpaceX rocket is like watching something off Thunderbirds.

1 - It lands back on earth perfectly
Lands<<<

2 - It almost does but, spectacularly, doesn't.
Whoops<<<

Kim:
As with the first failure (insufficient hydraulic fluid in the total-loss system), at least there's a nice clear reason why this one went wrong - the landing leg wasn't properly locked in position.  You can see it neatly folding back up as the rocket topples over.

I suppose technically it counts as a successful landing followed by the rocket falling over, so Just Read The Instructions remains the only object to have been bombed from space twice, rather than three times.

The second stage went on to successfully deploy the payload, which is the important thing (albeit with a less exciting Kerbal:Thunderbirds ratio).

LEE:
The Thunderbirds theme tune would make the re-entry/landing sequence much more exciting.

Kim:

--- Quote from: LEE on 18 January, 2016, 02:43:28 pm ---The Thunderbirds theme tune would make the re-entry/landing sequence much more exciting.

--- End quote ---

Barakta has a height-adjustable desk.  For fairly obvious reasons, this is motorised rather than hand-cranked.  I really need to molish a widget to play the Thunderbirds theme as it trundles up and down, to save the effort of humming[1].  (Sadly once the desk is raised to head height the chair doesn't actually slide forward into a previously hidden chute to deliver it to the cockpit of Thunderbird 2.  Unless I've been doing it wrong...)

Here's a very slick video of the last Falcon 9 launch, which is ideal for the Thunderbirds treatment:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ANv5UfZsvZQ&rel=1
https://youtu.be/ANv5UfZsvZQ

[1] I'll get to that right after I've finished the sink plunger that goes "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

TonyJames:
Elon Musk is amazing, the stuff he is doing with Tesla Cars is revolutionary as well. Especially if he cracks the battery issues and paves the way for households to store rechargeable underground batteries for their daily energy needs. I just hope the oil cartels don't get to him first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version