Author Topic: Which VR cycling app do you use?  (Read 14631 times)

Re: Which VR cycling app do you use?
« Reply #50 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:44:06 am »
Annoyingly races have a section labelled "lead-in" on the dashboard, but it's not neutralized or anything, so it's just confusing.

On the topic of races/events, is there a way to jump straight to them from the pre-ride screen, rather than spending 5 seconds in one of the open worlds so you can click the banner?
No.

« Reply #51 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:54:04 am »
This all sounds rather complicated.  Think I'll stick with Rouvy and BigRingVR.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #52 on: 18 November, 2020, 11:05:15 am »
It's only complicated because it offers more  ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 19 November, 2020, 12:42:27 pm »
Had another go on Zwift last night and made a point of looking out for the start banner, and keeping going until I crossed the finish line. Think I'm getting the hang of this!

However, there are still a few other things I need to get to grips with... There was a sprint segment on the route and I went for it. And was quickly reminded that 300m is a Very Long Way at full gas. My legs and lungs expired when I was still about 80m from the line.  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:58:01 pm »
Had another go on Zwift last night and made a point of looking out for the start banner, and keeping going until I crossed the finish line. Think I'm getting the hang of this!

However, there are still a few other things I need to get to grips with... There was a sprint segment on the route and I went for it. And was quickly reminded that 300m is a Very Long Way at full gas. My legs and lungs expired when I was still about 80m from the line.  :sick:

Ah, the lure of the sprint. You'll soon get the hang of it; beware though, it's quite addictive... (Yes, I'm looking at you, fboab!  :-*))

citoyen

« Reply #55 on: 21 November, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »
Does anyone use the Zwift Companion app? I tried to use it today but the connection kept sporadically dropping out. Very irritating.

Did a long, hard session today but had to stop before the end of my chosen route because of saddle discomfort. Sitting in the saddle without an opportunity to stand up for 90 minutes is quite hard on the posterior.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #56 on: 21 November, 2020, 05:49:22 pm »
Yes, and I have exactly the same issues with it dropping out.

« Reply #57 on: 21 November, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »
For me, it takes a long time to realise I'm riding if I open it mid-ride, but after that it's fine.

(annoyingly it doesn't allow you to activate power-ups if your phone is off when they're awarded. Not that power-ups have any noticeable benefit that I've seen)

citoyen

Which VR cycling app do you use?
« Reply #58 on: 21 November, 2020, 07:55:01 pm »
For me, it takes a long time to realise I'm riding if I open it mid-ride, but after that it's fine.

(annoyingly it doesn't allow you to activate power-ups if your phone is off when they're awarded. Not that power-ups have any noticeable benefit that I've seen)
Power-ups are something else I discovered today. I thought, “what’s this helmet icon? Wonder what happens if I click on it...”

No, didn’t make a noticeable difference.

« Reply #59 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:38:56 pm »
I never use the Companion while riding. I've only got a tablet for the main program, and it's hard enough to read that size of screen, without trying to use a phone as well. My glasses are permanently steamed up and covered in drips from my forehead ::-)

« Reply #60 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:01:10 pm »
So many things.

I only use the companion app if I intend to interact with the game - which admittedly is most of the time. If I'm doing a workout to follow a route, I might not bother, but mostly I'm going to want to text chat, use power-ups, give ride ons. When I'm racing I might use the map to see how far off my team mates are, or even message them in game - we tend not to discord unless it's a TTT, you can only take so much panting and whirring while you're trying to give your all.

You can activate a power up without the companion app. Do it directly on the screen, with either touch screen, mouse, or even the blimmin ATV remote.
Power ups do make a difference. But only if you use them at the right time! Feather will give you a reduced mass so only helps if you're climbing. The helmet will reduce your CDA- so is only really noticeable on a sprint. The van acts like you're in a draft so you should notice that wherever, unless you're already in someone's draft. If you're racing and the girl you're drafting drops a burrito you sure as hell notice that you're kicked out of her draft. From a gamification point of view you should always 'spend' your power ups as you may get the small or large + which gives bonus XP, and you can only pick up a new power up if your circle is empty.
The companion app needs a good solid connection to your WiFi, but then, so does Zwift. I don't suffer from drop outs, but our WiFi coverage is good, we have a mesh for just this reason.

I read a while ago that it was a deliberate strategy not to give much of a manual with Zwift to force users to interact with each other, by asking questions and sharing tips, or to ride around and test things out themselves. I'm not sure it's helpful this far down the line as there are so many 'end game' users that a lot of beginner questions get answered with the kind of piss-taking sarcasm that can be very off putting.

« Reply #61 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:04:31 pm »

Sitting in the saddle without an opportunity to stand up for 90 minutes is quite hard on the posterior.
Why couldn't you stand? I probably stand less indoors than outdoors but I can still do it if I want /need to.

« Reply #62 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:12:31 pm »
the blimmin ATV remote.

And that's why I want to do from the companion app.

I managed to inadvertently activate Siri last time I picked it up during a race, and it took a lot of button mashing to make her go away. And no matter how hard you pedal during that time it doesn't count.

The van acts like you're in a draft so you should notice that wherever, unless you're already in someone's draft

Hmmm... I've read elsewhere it doubles drafting*, so it only counts if you're on someone's tail.

(* that article also claims Zwift defaults to drafting being half of real world expectations, to make sure sitting in a group is still hard work)

« Reply #63 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:20:45 pm »
No, you can (for example) use the van to help pull you back when you've been dropped off a group.
Double draft does not feel like real world to me. It makes way more difference than getting up close to your big mates' wheel. On the big events with double draft you can coast at stupid low effort.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 21 November, 2020, 11:32:19 pm »
I read a while ago that it was a deliberate strategy not to give much of a manual with Zwift to force users to interact with each other

I'm *so* using that excuse in future.

citoyen

« Reply #65 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:00:44 am »

Sitting in the saddle without an opportunity to stand up for 90 minutes is quite hard on the posterior.
Why couldn't you stand? I probably stand less indoors than outdoors but I can still do it if I want /need to.

Sorry, meant to mention this before to pre-empt the question... My trainer is a Bkool, which relies on rider weight to maintain pressure on the roller. Tbh, I would never have bought a Bkool but I was given it for free, so I can’t really complain. Saving up my pennies to replace it with a Tacx Neo one day...

I think this is only part of the problem though - also not being able to coast downhill means you don’t get so much opportunity to shift your weight around, and this would apply to any model of trainer (I’m guessing).

Also, I just need a more comfortable saddle on the turbo bike. I’ve never been a huge fan of the one that came with the bike but have never got round to replacing it. Only had the bike 12 years.

I’ve been looking into why I was having problems with the companion app. Shonky WiFi sounds the most likely culprit. Will have to investigate further.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #66 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:05:47 am »

Sorry, meant to mention this before to pre-empt the question... My trainer is a Bkool, which relies on rider weight to maintain pressure on the roller. Tbh, I would never have bought a Bkool but I was given it for free, so I can’t really complain. Saving up my pennies to replace it with a Tacx Neo one day...

I think this is only part of the problem though - also not being able to coast downhill means you don’t get so much opportunity to shift your weight around, and this would apply to any model of trainer (I’m guessing).

Also, I just need a more comfortable saddle on the turbo bike. I’ve never been a huge fan of the one that came with the bike but have never got round to replacing it. Only had the bike 12 years.

I’ve been looking into why I was having problems with the companion app. Shonky WiFi sounds the most likely culprit. Will have to investigate further.

If you do get a Tacx Neo you'll discover that you can coast downhill!

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:09:38 am »
You can activate a power up without the companion app. Do it directly on the screen, with either touch screen, mouse, or even the blimmin ATV remote.

Aye, but the laptop is placed just slightly out of easy reach...

Feather will give you a reduced mass so only helps if you're climbing. The helmet will reduce your CDA- so is only really noticeable on a sprint.

Yes, when I clicked on the helmet, it was tbf not really the best place to get any benefit from it. But at least clicking on it helped me work out that the icons were power-ups.

I then got a feather, which I guessed was going to be a weight reduction thing. Was very tempted to use it on the 16% section of the big climb but decided that would be cheating! I mean, I know Zwift is big on the gaming angle but I’m more interested in the training angle.

I wanted to use the app mainly for the social stuff.

PaulF

« Reply #68 on: 22 November, 2020, 09:52:09 am »

And on a Kickr.  In fact I “may” have been in the shower for part of the descent of Alpe du Zwift :demon:

citoyen

« Reply #69 on: 22 November, 2020, 12:32:49 pm »

Just been reading a review and realising quite how badly I want a Neo...

« Reply #70 on: 22 November, 2020, 01:00:07 pm »

And on a Kickr.  In fact I “may” have been in the shower for part of the descent of Alpe du Zwift :demon:

My first turbo was semi-smart and it was not conducive to standing.  The kickr has been a big improvement in that way and also helping get my cadence up, PB is 140 so far, on 175mm cranks, too.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #71 on: 22 November, 2020, 01:51:36 pm »
That was the first hill I've ever felt like going down with my eyes closed :o

PaulF

« Reply #72 on: 22 November, 2020, 01:53:11 pm »
That was the first hill I've ever felt like going down with my eyes closed :o

Yes, hitting the hairpins at 80kph is quite exhilarating

« Reply #73 on: 22 November, 2020, 02:08:50 pm »
No, you can (for example) use the van to help pull you back when you've been dropped off a group.

I got one today and the game calls it "Draft boost". Trying it while a couple of seconds off the back of a group had no effect. So I think it must only work when you're drafting, if it works at all.

(And if it helped you while you were riding on your own it would be the same as the Aero Gainz power up)

Got a "WKG" disqualification on Zwiftpower today, which means it thinks I have enough Watts to ride in Cat C even though I normally come near last in Cat D, because I'm terrible at sticking to groups.

« Reply #74 on: 22 November, 2020, 04:28:16 pm »
Zwift power works on 95% of your best 20 minutes, so on a short race it will punish your effort with DQ.