Author Topic: Portugal Vineyards  (Read 11755 times)

Re: Portugal vinyards
« Reply #50 on: 07 December, 2020, 07:07:18 pm »
Tried two so far out of my selection that were very nice.
Then we have the Tr3s Castas red.

I opened one bottle and then chucked it as I thought it was corked. Second bottle is just the same. Has a slightly fizzy mouth feeling.
Anyone else tried this one ? Its only 10% proof.

>>Its a Vinho Verde<<
. Are the reds supposed to be slightly sparking? Sparkling red is a new idea to me.

https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/vinho-verde/14888-caves-campelo-3-castas-red-5601954130420.html

Serve it chilled

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #51 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:40:03 pm »
Tried two so far out of my selection that were very nice.
Then we have the Tr3s Castas red.

I opened one bottle and then chucked it as I thought it was corked. Second bottle is just the same. Has a slightly fizzy mouth feeling.
Anyone else tried this one ? Its only 10% proof.

Its a Vinho Verde. Are the reds supposed to be slightly sparking? Sparkling red is a new idea to me.

https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/vinho-verde/14888-caves-campelo-3-castas-red-5601954130420.html

Probably secondary fermentation.  Does it taste somewhat like apple sauce?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:44:43 pm »
Is the term not 'petillant'? In French at least.

Wish I'd found this site earlier... https://thewinedetective.co.uk/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #53 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:07:22 am »
Did some digging on the internet.

Its supposed to be slightly effervescent and have a sour undertone. So it's not corked its supposed to be like that. That's what you get for picking random wine :) Apparently in the UK you normally only get the white version.

Gave it a try with a cheese and cold meat platter. Once you get over the initial surprise its actually quite good. Which is good since it was a minimum six bottle purchase. And at £2 a bottle I can live with the fact that I chucked one bottle down the drain thinking it was corked.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #54 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:38:40 am »
I'm planning a Portuguese Camino next year (Covid permitting).  The route starts in Porto and winds it's way through the Vinho Verde region of Portugal, before hitting Galicia and one of my favourite grapes, Mencia ....   *hic*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 11 December, 2020, 08:29:23 pm »
Running out of white wine I might try a last order, I need recommendations for white.
I had this, and while it was very cheap it showed https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/vinho-verde/6119-monte-baixo-vinho-verde-white-2019-5601660972178.html
I generally like nice dry wines like Reisling, Gruner Veltlinger, Sauv Blanc, Albarino etc

Recommendations from Portugal Vinyards welcome!

« Reply #56 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:27:51 pm »
Your wine choices are the same as Mrs Ham (she also detests oaked wines), she really enjoyed this vinho verde. You'd be unlikely to be disappointed by Tras os Montes, I wine I tended to reach for when choosing for Mrs Ham in Portugal (it's basically a Duoro), but as it is on the slightly pricier end I didn't have any in my recent order. Looooads of Alvarinho grape - this recommended upthread is a good'un, here's the "pure" alvarinho search https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/39-white-wine?q=Varieties-Alvarinho

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 12 December, 2020, 06:20:19 pm »
It won't let me place an order, when I get to 'shipping' it says 'There is no carrier available. Check back soon if we are already delivering to your destination.'
 :'(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #58 on: 13 December, 2020, 11:50:53 pm »
"There is no carrier available. Check back soon if we are already delivering to your destination."

Fuck Boris,
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #59 on: 18 December, 2020, 10:16:21 pm »
Well I must say the Dao 2017 is rather nice and the Porta 6 is yummy. Both from the same winemaker in the country of our oldest ally. We must be mad.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #60 on: 26 December, 2020, 07:18:13 am »
Did anyone else follow my suggestion of the Moscatel? I went for this which turned out to be an absolute winner.

Jaded

• The Codfather
Re: Portugal Vineyards
« Reply #61 on: 28 December, 2020, 03:17:23 pm »
I bought     Águia Moura White 2019    which was very drinkable, and
 Cadão Red 2018     which we haven't yet opened on account of being given some reds for Christmas.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #62 on: 19 January, 2021, 02:40:57 pm »
They are starting shipping again, but it is going to be more expensive...

e.g.

One of our best sellers to the UK market, the Vidigal Porta 6, before the BREXIT at 3.60 GBP plus shipping, it will be now 3.19 GBP plus 2.23 GBP excise and 20% VAT tax, so a total of 6.50 GBP per bottle.
The shipping cost is the same in terms of transport cost but it takes per order an extra fee of 9.79 GBP for the exportation customs dispatch so it means that if you buy more than one case of 12 bottles, you will save money since it’s a flat fee per order and not per case.
In the end a bottle of Vidigal Porta 6 that in the past was around 4.7 GBP with all taxes and shipping included, will be now between 7 and 8 GBP depending on the number of bottles ordered.
This information is very important because if a client refuses to pay the importation duties, the parcels will return to us and we will have to deduct the return costs to the value paid for the order.
The transit time to the UK is not yet stable because there are some delays in the customs clearance but this means also that some parcels can reach you without the payment of the local duties and taxes.

Davef

« Reply #63 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:00:17 pm »
Ah return of the booze cruise to Calais. At least eurotunnels woes might be eased in due course.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #64 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:04:37 pm »
Not really, there are personal allowances 24 bottles of wine, etc.

It is now a total of:
42 litres of beer and
18 litres (24 standard 75 cl bottles) of still wine and
4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres (12 bottles) of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% alcohol

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #65 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:53:32 pm »
I got that email today too, very good of them to explain it so clearly. A big % increase in price but still not tremendously expensive per bottle. (Goes off to study the Quinto do Noval port prices....)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #66 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:56:02 pm »
Also, are they saying at the end of that email, 'chance your arm now and you might get your order cheap while the UK customs system is in a state of omnishambles'?

« Reply #67 on: 19 January, 2021, 06:07:46 pm »
Certainly sounds like it.....

« Reply #68 on: 03 March, 2021, 10:21:24 am »
Just had a delivery of Porta 6 reserve with no apparent difficulties. Transport significantly more expensive than hitherto but no additional charges this time out. However, charges could well apply in April. Not sure how the 24 bottles of still wine duty free allowance affects on line orders, if at all.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #69 on: 03 March, 2021, 05:37:48 pm »
I was going to ask if anyone had been brave enough to order recently....

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #70 on: 03 March, 2021, 06:20:55 pm »
... Porta 6 reserve ...
That's a favourite of mine. How many did you buy? What did it work out at per bottle?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #71 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:42:22 pm »
Just had a delivery of Porta 6 reserve with no apparent difficulties. Transport significantly more expensive than hitherto but no additional charges this time out. However, charges could well apply in April. Not sure how the 24 bottles of still wine duty free allowance affects on line orders, if at all.

AFAIAA duty free allowance only applies to accompanied goods
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #72 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:32:45 pm »
A fraction over 7 euros a bottle.

« Reply #73 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:30:40 pm »
Has anyone ordered recently ?   I finished my last delivery at the weekend. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #74 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:33:16 pm »
No, but they have been very busy with marketing emails, which suggests:

- they are missing the business
- it's not that hard to deliver to the UK