Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1742764 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #15800 on: 14 March, 2021, 09:37:29 am »
Oops, I've just seen this!

Can book another table, or is that pushing our luck with the rulz?

I guess if The Compasses are okay with the idea then it’s okay?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15801 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:26:45 pm »

Let me ask them
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15802 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:34:25 pm »

Let me ask them

Do you need a phone number?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15803 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:35:58 pm »

Let me ask them

No, got that but no one’s answering. You’d think they’d be open on a nice day like today
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15804 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:38:27 pm »

Let me ask them

No, got that but no one’s answering. You’d think they’d be open on a nice day like today

::-)  You'd think so wouldn't you?  Try again tomorrow and let us know what you find out.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #15805 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:40:14 pm »

Let me ask them

::-)  You'd think so wouldn't you?  Try again tomorrow and let us know what you find out.

Bollox, it would have been funnier if I’d said they’re always engaged...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15806 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:42:30 pm »

Let me ask them

Bollox, it would have been funnier if I’d said they’re always engaged...

Don't worry, you've plenty of time to work on your stand-up routine  :thumbsup:

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15808 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:08:09 pm »
It's unlikely that anyone on the list will know each other, quite a number of months have elapsed, many of us will have had a drink in the intervening period, some of us may have slept too plus many of us are getting on a bit!

« Reply #15809 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:28:25 am »
Thank you, guys!

1. huggy2. miss huggy
3. OD
4. Grey Sheep
5. Andyc33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333.1
6. Tedshred

MEMWNS
1. Jorgen
2. JEM
3. fandango
4. psyclist
5. Tomsk
6. Team Car

ACME
1. Nick

« Reply #15810 on: 16 March, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »
Chain ring is buggered. Any ideas for where to buy a 110BCD 50t without spending £50 upwards?
EDIT: Looks like they're all at least £50. I must be getting even tighter. :thumbsup:

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #15811 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:50:11 am »
Spa Cycles have a selection of their own brand chainrings which I've used before. I replaced a 50T outer on a double with a 46T a a few years ago on a bike that sees a fair bit of usage, and the new ring has performed and worn fine since. Might be worth a look if you want to avoid paying £50+ for a branded ring

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15812 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:53:33 am »
Depends if it's a 4 or 5 bolt fixing Nick, like bernster says, spa cycles. 4 bolt rings are always expensive though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15813 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:05:04 am »
Spa Cycles have a selection of their own brand chainrings which I've used before. I replaced a 50T outer on a double with a 46T a a few years ago on a bike that sees a fair bit of usage, and the new ring has performed and worn fine since. Might be worth a look if you want to avoid paying £50+ for a branded ring

I've used Spa's chainsets - very good!

« Reply #15814 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:32:25 am »
Bikester have a Shimano 105 50t in silver for £30

https://www.bikester.co.uk/795142.html

They are German based and shipping will be about £4.  But they sort out the post brexit VAT stuff. So there will be no extra charges beyond what you see on their site. I ordered some stuff in February and took about 11 days to arrive. Even with shipping the stuff I got was much better than UK prices.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15815 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:15:50 am »

I've used Spa's chainsets - very good!

As a paperweight?

« Reply #15816 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:27:48 am »
Thanks and I will take a look. If I replace my 50t, with something slightly smaller, do I need to remove links?

Ta,
Nick.
Depends if it's a 4 or 5 bolt fixing Nick, like bernster says, spa cycles. 4 bolt rings are always expensive though.
Sorry, yes - mine's a 5. Thanks.

Bikester have a Shimano 105 50t in silver for £30

https://www.bikester.co.uk/795142.html

They are German based and shipping will be about £4.  But they sort out the post brexit VAT stuff. So there will be no extra charges beyond what you see on their site. I ordered some stuff in February and took about 11 days to arrive. Even with shipping the stuff I got was much better than UK prices.
Thanks, Phil - that one is a 130BCD but great pricing there so let me see what else I can find.
Another general question is do I need to worry about 10 speed or 11 speed on the front ring spec? I don't see what it matters but maybe it does!

Thank you, everybody.

Nick.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15817 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:35:06 am »
You won't have to remove links, but you'll have to lower the front derailleur until it's about 2mm above the big front ring and readjust the cable.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #15818 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:36:18 am »
Thanks and I will take a look. If I replace my 50t, with something slightly smaller, do I need to remove links?

Someone with more technical knowledge will be along soon, but I would say you don't need to. That said, you could remove links if you wanted as reducing the large chainring size would mean that you don't need as long a chain if you ever happen to be on the big ring and biggest rear sprocket (which you probably shouldn't be).

One other thing to think about is chain wear, if your chain is worn, you may find that it doesn't play nicely with a new chainring, so it's probably worth measuring the chain (and looking at the cassette) for any signs of wear.

« Reply #15819 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:36:40 am »
You won't have to remove links, but you'll have to lower the front derailleur until it's about 2mm above the big front ring and readjust the cable.
OK, that makes sense, I'll bear it in mind and thank you.

« Reply #15820 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:39:04 am »

Someone with more technical knowledge will be along soon, but I would say you don't need to. That said, you could remove links if you wanted as reducing the large chainring size would mean that you don't need as long a chain if you ever happen to be on the big ring and biggest rear sprocket (which you probably shouldn't be).

One other thing to think about is chain wear, if your chain is worn, you may find that it doesn't play nicely with a new chainring, so it's probably worth measuring the chain (and looking at the cassette) for any signs of wear.
OK, thanks for that, and i have a new chain so I will keep my fingers crossed for the cassette!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #15821 on: 17 March, 2021, 11:45:22 am »
You can change the inner ring to a 30 at the same time and run 30/46 which is what a lot of us old codgers do.

You will have to shorten the chain then or as Bernster says, you're probably best to fit a new chain anyway.

Measure the chain length by putting it over small front chainring and smallest rear sprocket, the derailleur will be folded over itself, have just enough chain length so the derailleur isn't touching the chain underneath it.

« Reply #15822 on: 17 March, 2021, 12:48:45 pm »
You can change the inner ring to a 30 at the same time and run 30/46 which is what a lot of us old codgers do.

You will have to shorten the chain then or as Bernster says, you're probably best to fit a new chain anyway.

Measure the chain length by putting it over small front chainring and smallest rear sprocket, the derailleur will be folded over itself, have just enough chain length so the derailleur isn't touching the chain underneath it.
Great stuff and thanks again - I'll bear this in mind for the future as I've ordered a 50t from Spa at a bargain £28.50. Thank you to everybody.

« Reply #15823 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:21:49 pm »
Thanks, Phil - that one is a 130BCD but great pricing there so let me see what else I can find.
Another general question is do I need to worry about 10 speed or 11 speed on the front ring spec? I don't see what it matters but maybe it does!

Thank you, everybody.

Nick.

Ah so it is. Shimano 5603 was 110BCD outer, then went to bcd130 outer with 5703.  My Shimano XTR 9 speed cranks (on recumbent) are 110BCD outer. Currently 44t outer but I’ll change that to my spare 46t when that wears out. Still got its ring sizes from when mounted on mtb bike.

« Reply #15824 on: 17 March, 2021, 10:44:32 pm »
Thank you, guys!

1. huggy2. miss huggy
3. OD
4. Grey Sheep
5. Andyc33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333.1
6. Tedshred

MEMWNS
1. Jorgen
2. JEM
3. fandango
4. psyclist
5. Tomsk
6. Team Car

ACME
1. Nick

As a rather infrequent visitor to the forum I’ve just seen the list of participants of the this reintroduction of social life. Can I be added to the group, only Nick looks a bit lonely there, sitting on his own? Thanks