Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518854 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It has taken nearly three months for a member of this parish to Facebook/rediscover something I disliked before Xmas.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I was jokingly moaning on Twitter that as I had no beer in the house, I'd have to drink - gulp - wine. The horror.

An hour later, Wadworth brewery down the road in Devizes see the tweet and decide they're going to post me a case of their excellent 6X and IPA.

Winner!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
And now the got a loyal customer for years :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I was jokingly moaning on Twitter that as I had no beer in the house, I'd have to drink - gulp - wine. The horror.

An hour later, Wadworth brewery down the road in Devizes see the tweet and decide they're going to post me a case of their excellent 6X and IPA.

Winner!

:thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

That's fantastic
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Winner!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I could do with another cuppa (hint, hint).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs

Winner!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I could do with another cuppa (hint, hint).
T42 I pretty much did the same to Yorkshire Tea and they send me a few bags to me and my friend in Denmark and they even remembered my birthday :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Aha! Must try that. Ta.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Tonight I shall sing what I eat. Bass.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Which reminds me.   I filleted an absolutely fee-youge sea bass yesterday.  It would have been easier if I'd had a decent knife that i could sharpen properly.

Wasn't there a kitchen knife thread somewhere?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
My free beer arrived today - three bottles of Wadworth 6X and three bottles of their IPA.

they're delicious  :thumbsup:

ian

My wife is good at getting free booze by writing winsome emails to the brewers. I can't help but feel I'd be less successful unless I wrote the email while wearing a dress (I have to be in character). It's less successful these days owing to the more general availability of obscure brewski.

I once got drunk with the Sierra Nevada sales team in a Philadelphia hotel and they sent me two entire sample cases (48 bottles). I must have been entertaining. I don't entirely remember.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've just heard a wonderful food-related quote from, of all places, Star Trek. Odo, an alien who does not need to eat, says "I'm fascinated by the humanoid preoccupation with eating." Indeed!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Yes.  It is pickled.
Yes.  They are cheese and onion.
Yes.  It is about to be mashed with a fork.
Yes.  There is a glass of generic whisky off shot.

:D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Has this month's pension cheque not arrived?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Yes.  It is pickled.
Yes.  They are cheese and onion.
Yes.  It is about to be mashed with a fork.
Yes.  There is a glass of generic whisky off shot.

:D

What a way to go!

Cudzoziemiec

If you can't get to the Country Girl, you can at least recreate it at home.

citoyen

Basil wins the thread.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A containment dome might be appropriate.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
A containment dome might be appropriate.
For Basil or for the "food"? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

This may be of interest to ian, if no one else, but over the weekend I made chicken fajitas using Wahaca garlic and chipotle marinade in place of the usual Discovery/Santa Maria spice mix, which a) is no longer stocked in Tesco, and b) disappointing since the New! Improved! Recipe! was introduced.

It's pretty good. I was expecting it to lack punch, given that it only has a 2 out of 3 chilli rating on the packaging, but it was surprisingly piquant. We also tried the Wahaca smoky chipotle salsa and tomatillo salsa, which were also good.

We tried the New! Improved! Recipe! Discovery/Santa Maria fajita spice mix a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what they have done to it but it is now hardly any better than Old El Paso, with a sweet, synthetic flavour. Shame.

Cudzoziemiec

Today being doughnut day, I went to the Lithuanian shop up the road and got six. Gave three to the LBS for doing a job without pay the other day and for generally being good guys, took three home. Ate two, saved one for the boy. They were ok. Not as good as the ones with plum jam and powder sugar from the Polish shop down the road, but that's closed; these were with icing and indeterminate jam. Might have got better ones from the place I've heard about not been to in the wild lands the other side of the river, I thought. Mrs Cudzo came home with some from there. They were awful! Greasy, entirely covered with over-sweet icing and just not right.

ian

This may be of interest to ian, if no one else, but over the weekend I made chicken fajitas using Wahaca garlic and chipotle marinade in place of the usual Discovery/Santa Maria spice mix, which a) is no longer stocked in Tesco, and b) disappointing since the New! Improved! Recipe! was introduced.

It's pretty good. I was expecting it to lack punch, given that it only has a 2 out of 3 chilli rating on the packaging, but it was surprisingly piquant. We also tried the Wahaca smoky chipotle salsa and tomatillo salsa, which were also good.

We tried the New! Improved! Recipe! Discovery/Santa Maria fajita spice mix a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what they have done to it but it is now hardly any better than Old El Paso, with a sweet, synthetic flavour. Shame.

I shall endeavour to try this. Combinations of chili powder and spices have failed to replicate the original Santa Maria formula. I've followed instructions on the internet to make authentic tacos and they weren't. I've eaten authentic tacos in gang 'hoods in LA and weirdly, Santa Maria captured that whole essence of taco-ness (obviously without the stares) far better. M&S do a taco mixture which, while a lot better than New! Improved! Formula! lacks a little punch.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
They were saving them for their new range "Mice en place"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State