Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518759 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Tiny Rebel tzatziki sour.

I had some of that and didn't even like the first taste,  but then I'm not that fond of tzatziki

And I think mint in drinks is wrong (yes, I'm looking at you, mojito)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

It was on tap in our local for ages, he wasn't getting another keg of that. That wasn't our suggestion – though he's very good at sourcing our suggestions. One day we might actually go sit in there again rather than grab takeaways. Puts the micro in micropub.

Crisps are practically my favourite food, but I want them with and not in my beer.

As part of tonight's tea, we finished the Christmas prunes in Armagnac.  :thumbsup:

That's Christmas 2020 of course.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Things postponed by Coronalurgi:
  • Euro 2020
  • The Olympics
  • SteveC's Chrimbleprunes
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Not postponed!
We eat some of them last year. They have been lurking in the very back of the fridge ever since.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Things postponed by Coronalurgi:
  • Euro 2020
  • The Olympics
  • SteveC's Chrimbleprunes

4. SteveC's poos

This years Christmas Dessert was a super fancy tiramisu which was fecking delicious.

Bloody good job as the Christmas Pudding was gluten free and fairly rank. I think the flour was rice flour, it ended up grainy and quite unpleasant. I made the thing so I should know what kind of flour I used but it was ages ago- these things need maturation time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My Sainsbury's delivery today included two punnets of strawberries I had not ordered.
I have not been charged for these.
What a shame!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
So has anyone tried blue potatoes?

Going to boil them for a bit so I can have them with raclette.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/04/quite-incredible-some-of-worlds-rarest-camellias-discovered-in-yorkshire

Camellias in Yorkshire. Only obliquely related to food and drink because the tea plant is one of the camellias. So perhaps Yorkshire tea can be home-grown!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

We used to get them in Norn Iron when I was a kid.  Never noticed any difference from the white ones - my mum cooked all spuds so long that they stuck in your throat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

My 18 month old grand nephew won't eat any food which is green in colour.
If you give him lettuce or cucumber he'll pick it off his plate.
The other day managed to open the fridge and take out the bags of green salad before emptying their contents all over the floor and then walking all over the salad.
I guess at least he has learned that you don't eat stuff which has been on the floor.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

We used to get them in Norn Iron when I was a kid.  Never noticed any difference from the white ones - my mum cooked all spuds so long that they stuck in your throat.

A short boil then on the raclette lid for a crispy skin and I found that the potato does taste different but not sure that if it was actual taste or texture.  Was nice and will eat again.  Have found that some white potatoes taste the same what ever type of potato breed (?)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
The other day managed to open the fridge and take out the bags of green salad before emptying their contents all over the floor and then walking all over the salad.
I guess at least he has learned that you don't eat stuff which has been on the floor.

Not bad for an 18th month old.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Is he from Glasgow?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
…Whereas my then 4 year old niece just HAD to rearrange her tuna sandwich from a wedding buffet.
Sandwiches were presented on a bed of salad but contained none.
Niece picked up sandwich, disassembled it, inserted lettuce and then ate sandwich.

No tuna sandwich is complete without salad...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't know why, but I suddenly craved halva last night.
Ordered some from Sainsbury's.
Delivered today.

I've been picking.

Cheap Calories are CHEAP!

£0.001/kcal approx...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
D craved crumpets on Sunday.
I ordered some from Sainsbury's but they could not supply cheapies I'd ordered on Monday.
D was FURIOUS and went on a Crumpet Foray.
D descended on M&S food & bought one pack of 'Five Grain' and one pack of 'Ultimate' crumpets.

I had an Ultimate with butter and honey for breakfast.

It were LUSH!

What's you least-favourite pasta shape?  I'm not a fan of farfalle: to get the nipped-together bit in the middle cooked, the edges always go soggy.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What's you least-favourite pasta shape?  I'm not a fan of farfalle: to get the nipped-together bit in the middle cooked, the edges always go soggy.

IKR? Very annoying.

I don't think I've bought farfalle pasta for a long, long time. Mainly for that reason.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Least favourite would probably be gnocchi, but I'm so fond of tagliatelle that's all we ever buy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Alphabetti Spaghetti never comes with the right combination of letters to make Rude Words with your dinner.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Today, through an unplanned series of events, I ended up having lunch in a rather nice Japanese restaurant (with a special discount cos my friend's stepdaughter was waitress!). I managed to eat the whole meal with chopsticks, in as far as I ate everything and didn't use any other implements, though I'm sure a Japanese person would have winced. But it made me wonder on the extent to which cuisine drives utensils and vice versa. Clearly there's a relationship, but which is more important? Obviously there are other factors to consider, like natively available (or assimilated) foodstuffs, and probably various other cultural aspects too. My friend, who's been to Japan (his partner lived there and his stepdaughter was born there), said it certainly influenced Japanese rice, ie that it's sticky, in contrast to that preferred in eg India.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
As a wise man once said: if the ancient Chinese were so clever how come they didn’t invent the fork :demon:

I would have thought rice in India is sticky enough to clump together, so it can be picked up with fingers.