Author Topic: Perfectly sensible chid actions  (Read 10734 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Perfectly sensible chid actions
« on: 24 June, 2013, 10:52:26 am »
4 year old niece, at wedding reception, attacks smoked salmon sandwich, opens it, adds lettuce from tray of garnish, closes and eats...

Re: Perfectly sensible chid actions
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »
Funny chid!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »
Child has learned how to make sandwiches from my Mum.
Sister-in-law now has to come to terms with having given birth to her mother-in-law and living with her!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »
Sister-in-law now has to come to terms with having given birth to her mother-in-law and living with her!

*snorts*

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:30:25 pm »

*snorts*

At least s-i-l is now only living with one m-i-l. She had two when my parents and her family shared a house!

Found email exchange from s-i-l >two years ago. S-i-l worried about my Mum.
Told s-i-l not to worry about my mum but to 'worry about daughter who was wasting no time turning into my Mum...'

Oh dear!

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »
This seems to be the place for this...

Mum was visiting my sister and nephews this weekend. One day, they were at the library, and there was little history display, with an old school desk and an abacus. Oli (6) asked what it was, and Mum explained, and then things moved on to Roman Numerals, which she explained to him back at home - how they worked, and how it was hard to do sums, on account of not having a zero and so on.

Next day, they went out to meet a friend of Mum's for tea. This friend isn't very good at talking to children, so Oli got a bit bored. Quietly, he got out a notebook and pencil he'd been bought, and starting writing. After a while, curious about what was keeping him so occupied, Mum took a look. He was writing out sums for himself. In Roman numerals.

Now she's worried he'll go back to school and demand to be taught in Roman! He's already been moved up a year in maths apparently.

I'm wondering whether to bring up binary when we go down there next week....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2013, 12:46:13 am »
Seems reasonable.  He presumably hasn't encountered long division yet, which is where the Roman stuff really gives you a headache (DAHIKT).

Binary seems like an entirely sensible idea.  I think my granddad introduced me to it at around that age, in order to solve some puzzle or other.  (He also introduced me to the basics of algebra and simultaneous equations under similar circumstances, which I didn't grok, but followed enough to see that there was something to this Maths thing, and decided it would be a lot more interesting at some point if I stuck with it.)   :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:31:20 am »
This seems to be the place for this...

Mum was visiting my sister and nephews this weekend. One day, they were at the library, and there was little history display, with an old school desk and an abacus. Oli (6) asked what it was, and Mum explained, and then things moved on to Roman Numerals, which she explained to him back at home - how they worked, and how it was hard to do sums, on account of not having a zero and so on.

Next day, they went out to meet a friend of Mum's for tea. This friend isn't very good at talking to children, so Oli got a bit bored. Quietly, he got out a notebook and pencil he'd been bought, and starting writing. After a while, curious about what was keeping him so occupied, Mum took a look. He was writing out sums for himself. In Roman numerals.

Now she's worried he'll go back to school and demand to be taught in Roman! He's already been moved up a year in maths apparently.

I'm wondering whether to bring up binary when we go down there next week....

Just tell him you can count up to 1023 on your fingers ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2013, 11:34:30 am »
Try base 8 with the help of Tom Lehrer.  :D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2013, 08:01:40 pm »
My Mum has sent me the piece of paper, on condition I return it to her when I visit next week.

Written on it is:

V + V = X
IV + VI = X
C + C = CC
X + X = XX
IC + I = C

All his own work, after about half an hour of her explaining Roman numerals. She admitted she didn't actually know how to do arithmetic in purely Roman, but had a guess at how it's done. I'm assuming he did these by translating in his head back to arabic, and then the solution back to Roman, but even so, I'm impressed!

(I've since looked up online how to do sums in pure Roman, so if he asks I can show him...)

If he gets his maths ability from anyone, it'll be his Dad, I think, who did Physics. My side of the family are competent at arithmetic but no more.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2013, 10:22:48 pm »
He might like the 'magic' cards and appreciate them all the more if you explain how they work.

(Six cards, each with half of the numbers 1-63 on them; think of a number, ask which cards show this number, 'discover' the number by adding up the first number on the cards that contain the number.)

« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2013, 09:55:46 am »
Waiting in advance box at Micklegate bar last night with bike and big trailer.

4 kids, maybe 10-11years old on on new fixies there. New bikes, those coloured ones with flat bars and deep-section rims. All with a front brake. One little girl (maybe 8 or nine) one standard 24"-wheeled cheap 'girls' bike. One ofthe boys was riding round backwards in circles.

Lights change, they are slow to set off so I'm in front. Boys come flying past, little girl is behind me, a bit reluctant to pass (the trailer is bulky). I pull left and tell her to come on through, "Thank you" she squeaks, and flies by, legs spinning like a pro.

At lights ahead, the boys get tired of waiting and jump the red (it's in a odd phase with no traffic moving). "What are you doing" squeaks our little flier, waiting for the lights to change.

Apart from the light-jumping, it was lovely to see them out and about. I've always loathed those coloured fixies, but if they get groups of kids out and riding like that, then they are fantastic.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2013, 10:07:17 am »
Lovely (except the RLJ)
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2013, 07:59:20 pm »
Waiting in advance box at Micklegate bar last night with bike and big trailer.

4 kids, maybe 10-11years old on on new fixies there. New bikes, those coloured ones with flat bars and deep-section rims. All with a front brake. One little girl (maybe 8 or nine) one standard 24"-wheeled cheap 'girls' bike. One ofthe boys was riding round backwards in circles.

Lights change, they are slow to set off so I'm in front. Boys come flying past, little girl is behind me, a bit reluctant to pass (the trailer is bulky). I pull left and tell her to come on through, "Thank you" she squeaks, and flies by, legs spinning like a pro.

At lights ahead, the boys get tired of waiting and jump the red (it's in a odd phase with no traffic moving). "What are you doing" squeaks our little flier, waiting for the lights to change.

Apart from the light-jumping, it was lovely to see them out and about. I've always loathed those coloured fixies, but if they get groups of kids out and riding like that, then they are fantastic.
Good point. Even the crappiest BSO in worst condition is still a bike and therefore good as long as it's not being ridden twattishly. And even if it is, it's still better than many/most/all other vehicles being ridden in the same way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2013, 10:08:32 am »
Yesterday, while waiting at the airport for their luggage, my nine-year-old nephew took a ride on the baggage carousel. It was his (and his parents) first time flying, so you can see the attraction. While definitely not a sensible action in the usual sense, this does seem very sensible in the sense of sensing sensations.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
This morning a very little girl, she can't have been more than 2, thought I might be interested in the bits of Lego she was holding as she went somewhere with her mother. She was right of course, as Lego is always a good idea.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 07 October, 2016, 05:35:40 pm »
Two totally independent Facebook friends have reported that their junior school-aged kids have used their phones to send them what I call 'clinical selfies'.

Pictures of sick parts of their bodies.

Modern times...