Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1616956 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12475 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »
Damn hard water. Mixer tap dripping less than a year after replacing CW cartridge. Bring back tap washers is wot I say.

That’s exactly what we did, replaced the posh cartridge tap with the cheapest washer stylee mixer. 10 years later it’s still working just fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12476 on: 03 September, 2020, 06:45:57 am »
Water softener.  A lot of houses round here have them fitted, make a massive difference.  I wouldn't have fitted one myself necessarily but there was one here when we moved in.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12477 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:06:08 am »
Damn hard water. Mixer tap dripping less than a year after replacing CW cartridge. Bring back tap washers is wot I say.

That’s exactly what we did, replaced the posh cartridge tap with the cheapest washer stylee mixer. 10 years later it’s still working just fine.

My task for today is to take the cartridge out of the shower - then hotfoot it down to the plumbing shop (while the water is switched off) for "one of these please"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12478 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:48:24 am »
Crack! I was just moving off from the lights when, with a sharp noise, my foot slipped and something fell from the bike. Fortunately, it wasn't me. Unfortunately, it was the r/h pedal. The body had broken away leaving the spindle in the crank. Roadworks at the junction combined with quiet traffic meant being stranded in the middle of the B4469 wasn't anywhere near as traumatic as it could have been, and I only had about two miles to walk home. Unfortunately, this means I only got two miles riding.

Looking at the pedal now, there are small cracks and chips in the inner surface of the sleeve, for want of a better word, that forms part of the pedal body and goes round the spindle itself. I'm not sure if this is what caused the failure or is a result of the failure. It also looks as if something might have either snapped (very cleanly) or simply unscrewed itself at the end of the spindle where it fits into a bolt on the outside of the pedal body. I hadn't noticed any looseness previously. They were cheap pedals but only 18 months old. Genetic brand. Came from SJS – I'll see how they respond to an email.
The Pirates of Bridgwater say no.
"I'm sorry to hear that you have had an issue with these pedals.
Unfortunately these pedals only have a 1 year warranty so given the age of these now we would not be able to offer a refund for them.

I'm sorry I could not be more help than this. "

Pah! I'll look elsewhere for replacements. At least they replied quickly though.

What pedals are they?
These: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/genetic-pro-mtb-pedal-black-silver/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #12479 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:20:16 am »
Tesco dog poo bags. Plastic bags, inside a plastic bag. Why make it resealable? What possible purpose does making it resealable do? What problem does it solve? Dog poo dogs do not go off. They are not going to get crispy and inflexible if I don't reseal them when I've taken a few out when I go on a walk.

All that stupid little bit of tape does it catch on the poo bag as I pull it out of the container, often putting a hole in the bag. I've taken to just pulling the tape off and sticking it somewhere on the container when I open them. Why have it? Pointless waste.

« Reply #12480 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:25:49 am »
Crack! I was just moving off from the lights when, with a sharp noise, my foot slipped and something fell from the bike. Fortunately, it wasn't me. Unfortunately, it was the r/h pedal. The body had broken away leaving the spindle in the crank. Roadworks at the junction combined with quiet traffic meant being stranded in the middle of the B4469 wasn't anywhere near as traumatic as it could have been, and I only had about two miles to walk home. Unfortunately, this means I only got two miles riding.

Looking at the pedal now, there are small cracks and chips in the inner surface of the sleeve, for want of a better word, that forms part of the pedal body and goes round the spindle itself. I'm not sure if this is what caused the failure or is a result of the failure. It also looks as if something might have either snapped (very cleanly) or simply unscrewed itself at the end of the spindle where it fits into a bolt on the outside of the pedal body. I hadn't noticed any looseness previously. They were cheap pedals but only 18 months old. Genetic brand. Came from SJS – I'll see how they respond to an email.
Unfortunately these pedals only have a 1 year warranty so given the age of these now we would not be able to offer a refund for them.

Pah! I'll look elsewhere for replacements. At least they replied quickly though.

What pedals are they?
These: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/genetic-pro-mtb-pedal-black-silver/

Pity.

I have two pairs of oedals coming off the tandem that I recently purchased which are surplus to requirements.   They are double-sided cleated ones.

I'll check the model number and post it.

« Reply #12481 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:31:15 am »

i

My task for today is to take the cartridge out of the shower - then hotfoot it down to the plumbing shop (while the water is switched off) for "one of these please"

Good luck! When I looked at replacing ours the variety was huge, and mostly very similar looking.

« Reply #12482 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:32:52 am »

What pedals are they?

Pity.

I have two pairs of oedals coming off the tandem that I recently purchased which are surplus to requirements.   They are double-sided cleated ones.

They are PD-M540's. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12483 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:41:36 am »
Thanks PB  :) but I've already ordered myself a pair of these: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan-Touring_18210.htm
I'm being all old skool with trad toe cages on this bike, because reasons. Got the green bike to ride till these arrive.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12484 on: 03 September, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
Tesco dog poo bags. Plastic bags, inside a plastic bag. Why make it resealable? What possible purpose does making it resealable do? What problem does it solve? Dog poo dogs do not go off. They are not going to get crispy and inflexible if I don't reseal them when I've taken a few out when I go on a walk.

All that stupid little bit of tape does it catch on the poo bag as I pull it out of the container, often putting a hole in the bag. I've taken to just pulling the tape off and sticking it somewhere on the container when I open them. Why have it? Pointless waste.
Go use Tesco nappy poop bags, 300 for 35p, much cheaper and don't have the tape bit at all. I have only had one "blow" up on me in 7 years of using them and that was because other debris around the deposit. 

If only bio gradable bags where as cheap ...

Side note : There is 1-2 dog walkers in town who much spend a fortune on poop bags. Everyday I get free poop bags. Cause they clearly don't take any care with their bags. Some times it is a pile of them or even a whole roll of bags, just laying there unused blowing the the wind. And going from the print on some and the quality of them, they are clearly on the dear end of the scale - over £2-3 for a pack of 75-100.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12485 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:22:28 pm »
Thanks PB  :) but I've already ordered myself a pair of these: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan-Touring_18210.htm
I'm being all old skool with trad toe cages on this bike, because reasons. Got the green bike to ride till these arrive.

Both me and my principal Captain are "old skool" too which is why the Shimano pedals are surplus to requirements.

I have a pair of the Sylvans on order from Bike24.  They arrived at DPD's Hinckley depot on 17th August and have been "in transit" since then.  I was goinv to order from Tredz but I see that Tredz are quoting 10 days too.  Crazy world.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12486 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:33:27 pm »
Ordered yesterday, dispatched yesterday. "Please allow up to 10 working days." I'm confident(ly hoping) it won't be that long. Normally I wouldn't mind anyway but...

« Reply #12487 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:42:25 pm »
Lucky you.  Hope that they arrive ...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12488 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:43:40 pm »

What pedals are they?

Pity.

They are PD-M540's.

If still available, can I trouble you for a pair for a reasonable fee?  I use these and have room for another pair on my MTB.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12489 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:47:49 pm »
Lol, I just PM’d Mike about them too  :).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12490 on: 03 September, 2020, 03:32:26 pm »
Ordered yesterday, dispatched yesterday. "Please allow up to 10 working days." I'm confident(ly hoping) it won't be that long. Normally I wouldn't mind anyway but...

Remember when "mail order" ads (Scotcade and the like in the Sunday papers) quoted "allow 28 days for delivery" ?  - Amazon just delivered something to me same day as I ordered it  (and I'm not one of the mugs that pays for Prime, nor did I pay for delivery)   

Crazy - the how many white vans are running around with just a few parcels on board to satisfy what (to me) is an unnecessarily short delivery time?

I guess Viking Stationery in its heyday were a major culprit with delivery in sub-3 hours.

ian

« Reply #12491 on: 04 September, 2020, 10:55:11 am »
I had forgotten how much I didn't miss the daily tide of screaming, litter emitting schoolkids every day.

Although they seem to be going home at 11 am. Orientation, I am told by teacher friends. They all have to go to school briefly to be told how to go to school.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12492 on: 04 September, 2020, 04:27:07 pm »
And delivered today. A lot less than 10 days! In a very smart box too (well, they are Japanese).

« Reply #12493 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:19:25 pm »
Trying to donate an old wardrobe to charity today has created a bit of a grumble fest...
First up, 930am is not the afternoon. I hadn’t gone out yet, but was about to - in anticipation of needing to be in for the afternoon.
Second, if I don’t pick up the phone at 9am, a voicemail or text might be better than a missed call from a random unknown mobile. You could even email.
Finally, if you’ve got a thing against (intact, clean, well applied) white paint then why not say so in advance.
If no random passer by wants it I’ll have to chop it up and take it to the tip. It is, of course, 2cm wide to get in the car.

« Reply #12494 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:27:31 pm »
UPS have managed to mangle the delivery address for my parcel of recorders. The building and street name for the delivery address (work) with the town and postcode of the billing address (home). Their system therefore says no to delivering it.  :'(

Have spoken to seller and to UPS and have straightened it out but the parcel that should have arrived Thursday is still at the UPS depot and will probably arrive on Monday, I just don't know to which address.  :o

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12495 on: 05 September, 2020, 10:06:55 pm »
And delivered today. A lot less than 10 days! In a very smart box too (well, they are Japanese).
And today, rummaging through a box of bits in search of something else (which turned out to be in a completely different place hibernating under a pile of dry bags), what did I find? A pair of flat pedals. Nowhere near as nice as the MKS but perfectly usable. Oh well, it's always good to have spares. Unless you don't know you've got them.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12496 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:27:46 am »
Gah.  Got up at sparrow-fart for street cleaning only for it to be called off at the last minute.  Rain.
I could go back to bed, but as I have consumed a weapons grade coffee, there wouldn't be much point.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12497 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:30:59 am »
So have another coffee.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12498 on: 06 September, 2020, 08:32:27 am »
I'm ahead of you there.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12499 on: 06 September, 2020, 10:09:32 am »
See that's why I don't drink coffee. If there is a chance for some kipping I did not want drugs/chemicals/stuff preventing time in bed.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit