Author Topic: Gravel Tro Breizh  (Read 6188 times)

Gravel Tro Breizh
« on: 13 September, 2022, 12:04:19 pm »
I just signed up for this event to dip a  toe into multi day mixed surface adventures.
https://erminig.cc/epreuves/la-gravel-tro-breizh/
The exact route isn't out yet but will ape previous editions.
It's fairly early in the season and in a famously wet area so I'll be ditching the Bermuda shorts for rain gear.

It's relatively accessible via the ferries to the UK if anyone is interested.
often lost.

Re: Gravel Tro Breizh
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2022, 12:42:29 pm »
Looks like a nice event.

I won't have the time next year to ride this one. My big focus is the Race Across South Africa in June.

I'll keep an eye on your progress on this one, as it could be something I do in a future year. As you say, it's convenient from the UK.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2023, 01:21:37 pm »
New Year, new type of event.
A few weeks to prep for this one.
Its a fixed route so no hours of poring over maps like TCR. (not that that did me any good!) I can spend the time boning up on French with Duolingo instead!
Ive got a new rig (firefly ti, all road)  that goes into production this month and should be ready mid to end February.
That will give me a few weeks to familiarise myself with the bike and some new equipment.
Ive tried to use smaller owner-run companies with decent ethics where possible for the add ons as well as the bike.
Some full frame bags (Gramm) who were great to work with.
Ive got a saddlebag, which I prefer over a seat sock, that are made by swift industries, and work well with the carradice QR bagman support hung off the back of the saddle. Saddle is an infinity, the answer to blisters!
I'll likely get a couple of dry bags for the forks from Road Runner. They make some chunky volume numbers that should be able to take a tent.
yeah a tent...Not my first choice of overnighting. That would be a hotel and a hot shower, but I'm not confident of finding a  guaranteed crash pad in that part of rural France. Im opting for a tent rather than risking a week in a wet bivy, and will embrace the change for at least 2 nights before I get pissed off and go in search of somewhere to lick the wounds.
I haven't nabbed a tent yet. It's a minefield and I was frankly gobsmacked by what you can spend. I'll like go for a small 2 man so that it can do double duty  as an occasional when I tour with my partner, but still small and light enough for a solo bike packing event.
The daily distance to finish within the cut is about 150 km. A week to finish which doesn't sound too onerous, but then I might be in for a rude awakening with the mixed surface element, and SOG may be a lot lower than I envisage.
Ill give myself a couple of extra days to allow a finish outside cat and account for any mechanicals.
The bike will have massive tyres and gearing down to 0.75. Ive gone with Ingrid cranks to stay away from the big behemoths of the industry.
If feels a bit weird not signing up for TCR again after the disappointments and cancellations. A GC finish could have been on the cards if Id sorted my routing out properly, and not busted my pelvis the month before.
All in all though, Im pretty excited to try something new and as I get older, Id like to spend the time left in the saddle in beautiful scenery wherever possible, preferably without a truck up my bum.
Toute les choses que tu fais? La vie ne sera jamais la même.  La vie change!
often lost.

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2023, 11:05:02 am »
Good luck - looks like fun.
I'd like to do it but it's a bit too much time away, on top of what I've already committed to.

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2023, 05:27:12 pm »
Good luck - looks like fun.
I'd like to do it but it's a bit too much time away, on top of what I've already committed to.

cheers Frank, have fun with your adventures too.
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2023, 08:14:52 pm »
Just received some images of the new pony I had built for the race.
Really looking forward to climbing aboard and putting in some mixed trial miles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/albums/72177720305994834/with/52687548393/
often lost.

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2023, 11:59:57 am »
I did an interview with Kevin at FF for seido components that covers the thought process behind the new build. Link below.
https://seido-components.com/blogs/articles/a-blog-post-for-pete

Their sister company is Bombtrack bikes that make some really interesting niche machines, and I noted that they are involved with The Tuscany trail and The Veneto Trail. They look like fun events in lovely surroundings.

GTB is going to be a grind, I think. Covid got me good recently and I'm still not firing on all cylinders. Hopefully there is muscle memory in the legs and mind from previous efforts to do some long days.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2023, 09:15:35 pm »
I got the bike safely here to Brittany and have been test riding my set up for GTB with a few local sojourns.
Alarmingly the rig is already over 23kg and there are a  few other bits and bobs to include on the kit list.
I'm not overly obsessed with weight etc for this event though. Its really a tester to see if I still have the will and drive to complete in these sort of events.
It can be pretty chilly around here up on the moors so I packed a fair bit of warm weather kit and my bivy set-up is overkill, but Im treating this more as a fast long camping trip than a TCR type event. It's slated as a brevet and not a race. All new to me really. 1250 km on MTB type stuff, trail and back roads; 180 hours to complete.
The bike feels very well behaved on the local farm tracks, though Im not sure what the organiser has up his sleeve, it could be worse than what Im rolling on right now.
Worryingly Im STILL experiencing some annoying hangover effects of covid. Primarily blocked ears, periodic metal/gas taste and wheezy. It seems to be ok riding in lower zones, though when the hours stack up Im not sure what will occur, but will be prudent.
Apparently the parcour will be sent by email tomorrow, a week before the start. Not ideal for route muppet here!
I do like the fact that the start is only 100km up the road and a circuit,. No big journey prior. If I was in full fettle I would liked to have ridden to the start, but with the whole chesty thing I'll likely drive up the night before for the briefing and sleep in the van.
I'm looking forward to meeting a few predominately French bike packers who I might not come across on the likes of the more international ultras, and to discover some of the parts of Brittany we haven't experienced yet.
Image of the set up below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrWKSyVMQcW/
often lost.

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2023, 01:07:27 pm »
Nice setup @morbihan

You've certainly got a lot of storage space.

One thing I learnt after my first big bikepacking race is the need for easily accessible space to carry at least a days worth of food. With mandatory routes that tend to go where there aren't many people / facilities, supermarket stops can be a once-a-day phenomenon. I use the tailfin for spares and stuff, and use one of the mini panniers to store food ... the left hand one, as I tend to lean the bike up against something on the right side. These mini panniers have a single roll-top clip, so quick to access, and scrunch down as the contents get consumed.

Good luck on GTB this weekend, and hope you're not hampered by the covid after-effects. Weather looks mostly promising. I'm heading to the Ardennes for some training over the weekend, following a route based on the Ardennes Arbalète.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2023, 01:19:23 pm »
I note it says waterbottles on the front - can't see them. How much can you carry there?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2023, 07:32:04 am »
Good luck - hope it goes well!

« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:19:20 am »
Thanks all.
The routes were sent out late last night. The organiser has asked us not to share before the start.
Suffice to say that its 100km longer than previous editions at 1350km. The trade-off apparently is that some of the route is faster.
The route does in fact go right past our front door! That will be on day one ,ideally, about 120km in. I am familiar with some of the route round here along the river and it is very agricultural! I do hope that some of the rest of the route has some smooth rolling stuff to bump up the speed. The riders on mtb's will be okay.
The weather does look pretty good as you say psyclist. Thats a relief. I hope you get the same over in the Ardennes. Ref the food supplies point, unlike the rest of my set up Im actually pretty compact in that area. I have to eat a pretty low carb diet, so dried sausage and cheese in the sides of the feedbags generally gets me a long way, with a once a day food stop to devour a chicken or something. I am taking a thermos too on the chance I can top up with coffee if I camp out.
Charly, I have a 700ml bottle on the off side fork, and 2 small bottles in the feedbags tucked under the handlebars. I think it will be okay to get top ups round here without too much drama; ideally from churchyards etc and avoid the plastic.
I was going to ride up to the start and camp but to stay fresher I'll probably drive up and kip in the back of the car.
It sure feels a little surreal after all the cancellations of the past three years.
Hopefully all will go well and Ill post a report after the event in case anyone else wants to give it a whirl.

often lost.

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2023, 04:26:33 pm »
Two days to go - good luck.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2023, 11:05:15 pm »
Good luck! One hell of a challenge (though I'm a total wuss about off-road of any kind, my gravel bikes only do tarmac, and what passes for it), but the bike & kit looks more than up to it- most impressive. Fingers crossed for you.

« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2023, 11:23:04 pm »
Thanks peeps. I rode a bit of the parcour North and south of here and its way worse than I envisaged.
I have done Unbound Gravel a few years back and some pretty ridiculous route options on TCR but this stuff was to me was MTB territory. Maybe I just live near the technical bits (he says crossing fingers) I was banking on some Strade Bianchi type rolling miles TBH.
Either way I'll give it a thrash and crazy Rocky Horror show aside there was some beautiful scenery in the backwoods.
There is a thunderstorm forecast for Sunday which at least will eat I won't feel bad about loading up with waterproofs.

often lost.

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2023, 12:08:15 pm »
The front of the Saturday morning starters are about 20 km upriver of my place here about now. I may see them just before I head up to the start near Rennes in a couple of hours. They are closing in on the section I rode a few days ago. I hope I see some stripped down mountain bikes off the front or Im in for a World of hurt on my 60lb lump.
Ive stuck a motivation signing the garden. Maybe the mid pac k who are not chewing the stem will see it!
often lost.

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2023, 08:27:45 pm »
Checking in for updates, but probably good that you're not wasting time posting here!
Look forward to hearing in due course....

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2023, 08:45:42 pm »
I agree Frank- hopefully too busy. He did post a pic on Instagram a few hours ago, he was going to have to do some wading!

« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2023, 06:38:29 am »
Some interesting accounts on Strava and Facebook.  Sounds like it was tough going! 
But I'm sure Jonah will be along in a while to fill in the details so don't want to spoil it!

« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:21:36 am »
Ok I’m back safely in the Morbihan hideaway and here is the debrief.
In a nutshell, the “trace” as the French call the route was way, way harder than I had anticipated. It consisted of multiple sections of muddy steep single track linked with some lumpy road bashing, cobbled farm tracks, forest roads etc. The single track was what I would describe as hiking trails where you put some boots on, take a stick and set forth with a map and a backpack. Indeed most of them were marked with the red and white painted signs as part of the French randonee’ network.
Often down an escarpment to a river or similar they would become ambiguous as the path would split as previous travellers have made their way around fallen trees, to avoid a swampy section etc. The breadcrumbs would often drift a bit in the woods so it wasn’t totally clear if you were off route or not.  The more experienced riders in this sort of stuff would, Im sure be able to stay on their bikes pedalling for longer. I was frequently off the bike (which  weighed in at about 60lb and likely heavier as it became more caked in mud.) hefting it over r mossy rocks/logs/streams etc. It was incredibly fatiguing.
Descents were often bone jarring and I ended up sore in places that don’t normally register on regular endurance rides.
I would have called it serious mountain bike territory, but there were a good few all road bikes out there too so lets say its inexperience from this rider. I’ve not done anything like the Dale Divide, so nothing to compare it to really. I did ride Unbound Gravel Stateside a few years ago. Very different! Champagne gravel as one of my mates called it.
I put in 2 solid days, initially, moving time about 12 hours. They felt like 15 plus hour road rides mind you. I was pushing on where I could and kept the average speed to about 15kph or a little more.
Day three I broke camp and headed for the first CP. It was pretty horrific going almost off the bat. Bushwacking down forested paths etc. A couple of wrong turns not helping. I arrived at the checkpoint in a pretty sorry state and my average speed for the day was about 11kph. You need to cover about 175km a day to finish the Brevet in the required time and there was no way I was going to make it up. Riding in the dark on those paths, for me,  would be foolish.
Just prior to CP1 the route crossed the Nantes Brest canal, so I made the decision to turn off the tracker and had back tourist style along the canal to Redon, up the Vilaine to just South of Rennes then across the hills to the start to pick up my van.
If I was forced to do an event like this again, because I won’t be! A suspension fork and a lighter set up. I’m not too sure what you would leave behind though. A bivy over a tent perhaps, but I did get a good kip night 2 in my tent and a minimal bivy in the woods? No thanks!
Some or the riders were travelling light. MTB, small back pack.
Physically, I’d equate the 3 days on this event to how Ive felt in the second week on the likes of TCR.
My wife illness last year has undoubtedly refocussed some of the drive and priorities, but TBH I don’t think I would have had it in the locker to finish that event in any frame of mind.
There was no bitter disappointment rolling back along the canal, more a feeling like Id escaped form some sadistic reality game show :-)
often lost.

« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2023, 08:39:44 am »
That does sound extremely tough.

I guess the big lesson is to go light, really light.

175km per day sounds extremely difficult in those conditions.
I'm good with a map and compass but wouldn't fancy tackling route finding in those conditions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2023, 09:45:56 am »
Bloody hell! You did very well to last that long under the circumstances. Sadistic is putting it mildly…

« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2023, 11:51:01 am »
Your experience of the conditions is similar to what I have encountered when riding Normandicat Gravel. You learn to ignore the 'gravel' word because you know in Europe most 'gravel' is mud!

These types of event are physically tiring. Your whole body is working out. So a lighter setup does help tremendously.

Well done for completing as much as you did, and doing the sensible thing and enjoying a touring route back.

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2023, 01:13:19 pm »
Well done, Jonah!
As I said on Facebook, I really appreciate the detailed descriptions you gave as it allows me to safely rule out all events that sound anything like this.  It sounds like it was really hard, way beyond my fitness and skill level! 
I did have concerns that you were taking a lot of stuff, but it sounds like it would have been challenging with any bike. 

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2023, 02:15:55 pm »
Thanks all.
I must add though that not all the riders looked like honed athletes, but seem to cope well on the terrain. I guess if you come with a decent amount of MTB experience its going to give you a distinct advantage. You are going to be riding and twisting through the trees where the likes of me have dismounted and are  pushing the bike through the branches.
Equally they must have been riding through a lot of the sucking mud where I was stuck in it.
Yes weight too. Im reasonably strong but when you are knackered and having to heft 60lb over a slippery rock its incredibly draining. Again Im sure there is technique that comes with experience. My right shin is peppered with blows from the pedal.
I'm de-rigging the bike right now and going through my gear as I empty the bags I used pretty much everything aside from the spares. Im not sure where you could drop a lot of carrying weight.  Sealant and tubes are pretty heavy. The sleep set up was OTT. All super light gear but a lot of it. I think a few riders just had a bivy and no sleeping bag or anything. I couldn't do that and ride hard the next day.
There was one other English guy on the event and we ended up riding together a fair bit as we were making similar progress. He's a pretty big fellah nothing like a racing snake, but has done a fair bit of these type of events before. He had just done the dales divide and had had a couple of stabs at the French Divide. He was on a rigid fork MTB and I was horrified how fast he went down hill on the rough!  it  was nice to have a chat with someone in English too.  He had put about 15km beyond me on that third day and was in better shape at the CP. It was great to see him crack on after I bailed.My French is pretty poor so it can be quite isolating at the likes of the check in.  That was a privilege to experience in one respect, as it gave insight into what it is often like for international riders doing the English speaking events.
Yup phyclist, when I see French gravel Im going to think Mud! That and whatever they were muck spraying over the fields got into everything.
often lost.