Author Topic: TDF 2023  (Read 26432 times)

Re: TDF 2023
« Reply #475 on: 22 July, 2023, 04:14:13 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #476 on: 22 July, 2023, 04:28:48 pm »
Well, that was grand.  Loved Giccone rolling in and saluting the crowd as to the manor born. Wonder if he had spotty glasses on today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #477 on: 22 July, 2023, 05:34:15 pm »
Excellent afternoon's entertainment!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #478 on: 22 July, 2023, 09:08:32 pm »
To add insult to an impressive collection of injuries from today’s stage Carlos Rodriguez copped a 20” penalty for, one imagines, drafting the Ineo$ team car beyond reasonable limits.  Doesn’t affect the stage result or the GC though, unless Pello Bilbao somehow manages to nab 11” tomorrow.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #479 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:59:18 pm »
It's been a terrific Tour to watch.  The French really seem to have town planning sorted out: every village looks the same - but beautiful.  All the time I'm reminded of a song from my youth by Les Compagnons De Chanson "The Three Bells": "There's a village, hidden deep in the valley, beneath the pine trees, etc."  Anyone else know it?  I've loved everything except Philipson's sprinting (and the accidents).  Pogacar has been sensational, Vingegaard unbelievable (especially in the time-trial) and there have been countless heart-warming results and efforts.  Slight downside is Matt Rendell, the human drone's, commentary.  He knows his stuff but who on earth is "Vinyergol"?  David Millar reads a race very well as you might expect.  All this and cracking Test Matches to catch up on in the commercial breaks!  August is going to be a real bummer, mad worse by the start of the football season and resumption of monied mundanity.

One of the best ever, I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #480 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:03:28 pm »
Maybe we'll have to go cycling...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #481 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:04:31 pm »
Agreed, one of the best tours I've seen/followed. Start to finish full of action, all we needed was a 100km solo breakaway by little Thomas and it would have had it all ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #482 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:14:51 pm »
Oh, and an unusual claim to fame for the Yates twins - not only were they born and brought up 7 miles away but I still pay tax here.  Talk about a coincidence.  Finishing 3rd and 4th pales into insignificance!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #483 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:15:39 pm »
...Slight downside is Matt Rendell, the human drone's...

He's positively dynamic compared with Sean errrrrrrr Kelly.

« Reply #484 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:18:53 pm »
That's not the same as being dynamic, though.  Fortunately, you don't get Sean on ITV.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #485 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:21:53 pm »
Matt Rendell's crowning glory, at least on this year’s race, was referring to a certain USAnian KOTM contender as “Neilson”, “Neil” and “Nils” in the course of a single sentence, but he can be forgiven a multitude of sins purely on account of that utter bobbins about St Martha of Bethany and an army of hedgehogs overcoming La Tarasque during the 2021 edition, which had Nice C Boardman, Mrs Pingu and me all laughing ourselves inside out :thumbsup:

David Millar undoubtedly knows his Stuffs but can never be accused of taking a position and sticking to it unless it concerns Crazy P Sagan being well past his use-by date :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #486 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:45:14 pm »
For Peter, featuring Jacques Anquetil (or maybe not): https://youtu.be/FQ1YJPYXqKQ
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #487 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:50:35 am »
Thanks Cudzo!  I'm aware of that performance - it's one in which they have altered the words to make them rhyme (the original 78 which we had at home managed to rhyme "above" with "wed", possibly because recording time cost money and they didn't know what they were singing anyway)!  I think the lead singer looks more like Bahamontes than Anquetil - do you think the jerseys may actually be jaune?  I'm one of four brothers and we used to sing that with Mam on the piano.  We probably wore that record out. 

Thanks again!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #488 on: 23 July, 2023, 08:14:24 am »
By the way, did we all see the Mohoric post-race interview yesterday? Bloody hell. Talk about from the heart...

https://youtu.be/zgVp-CfNRrs?t=325

All the more incredible considering he was being that eloquent in what was not his first language.

Excuse me, I seem to have got some dust in my eye...
Just incroyable. I have a new cycling hero ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #490 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:07:25 am »
Pas exactement une guerre, je pense.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #491 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:13:15 am »
Has the yellow jersey ever changed hands on the last day of the tour?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #492 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:16:43 am »
It might do next year. I read the last stage is a time trial.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #493 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:31:55 am »
In 1989 Lemond took the win from Fignon on the last stage time trial.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #494 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:53:59 am »
Ah yes, I remember it well.  </Chevalier>  :)

Lordy, was it really that long ago?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #495 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:49:45 pm »
I wish there were highlights on ITV4 of the TdF Femmes. I’ve not the interest in watching all of a stage (that applies to most of the stages of the men’s TdF too) but I’d like to be able to watch the finale’s with the ITV commentary team. Especially as I’ve visited most of the stage finish towns in the past. One day perhaps.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #496 on: 23 July, 2023, 12:57:11 pm »
In 1989 Lemond took the win from Fignon on the last stage time trial.
I should have been clearer. If we’d arrived at today with Pogo only 10 seconds adrift, would we have seen racing? Is it only convention that they ride into Paree Paris in an orderly fashion, or is it in teh rulez?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #497 on: 23 July, 2023, 01:19:19 pm »
Jean 'Leatherhead' Robic won the 1947 TdF on the last day by breaking away from the yellow jersey, Pierre Brambilla. Reputedly, Brambilla was so cut up at losing that he buried his bike in his garden. He must have got another bike because Brambilla used to ride sportifs for fun in his dotage.
https://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf1947.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #498 on: 23 July, 2023, 01:38:42 pm »
Aren’t the last three laps neutralised these days?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #499 on: 23 July, 2023, 02:39:27 pm »
The live coverage isn’t on until 4:30 pm! I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!  Though this does mean we won’t get all the trundling through the suburbs, photobombing, champagne-swigging and other titting about such as might offend Nice C Boardman…