Author Topic: The 'bloody foreigners' thread.  (Read 17177 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
The 'bloody foreigners' thread.
« on: 05 February, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »
I feel a bit left out in the other threads, so I started this one, for us from the them there foreign bits, you know the parts on the map that says "here be dragons".
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: The 'bloody foreigners' thread.
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »
I feel a bit left out in the other threads, so I started this one, for us from the them there foreign bits, you know the parts on the map that says "here be dragons".

What, Wales?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »
Fog in Channel; Europe Cut Off.

As a second-generation Economic Migrant, I claim the right to be foreign when it suits me.  The downside is that the half of me that isn't English is

Irish
 :thumbsup:
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »

As a second-generation Economic Migrant..

Ah, the qualifications of the run of the mill Johnny Foreigner bashing, anti-Europe Tory politician  :thumbsup:

cometworm

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »
I'm only here till the money and jobs run out, then I'm putting my English other half (heavily sedated) in a big duffel bag and getting back in the longboat.

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »
I must admit to being fascinated by abroad; Denmark; opened the first University in India, sold the Virgin Islands to the USA, was first to abolish slavery, oldest national flag in the world and is entirely alluvial apart from Bornholm. I'm always interested to know if the people of Copenhagen are even less typical of their country than Londoners are of ours. I also know that Danny Kaye was not Danish.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDvUlx7Z5ak&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oDvUlx7Z5ak&rel=1</a>
I think the main reason I'd visit would be to drool at the women, and that would be unseemly in a man of my years.

Damon.

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:26:49 pm »
Full foreigner reporting.
But unsure what kind of foreigner I am :D (Mother born in Belgium, Father born in the Netherlands, Grandfather born in Germany)

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:31:41 pm »
But unsure what kind of foreigner I am

Rest assured, you are a 'bloody foreigner'.

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
(Mother born in Belgium, Father born in the Netherlands, Grandfather born in Germany[/sub])

That goes some way to explaining why you're such a cunning linguist.

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:35:20 pm »
I'm only 3 generations removed so I'm not that foreign. Only when we beat the English at cricket or rugby or whatever, is it an issue !!  Therefore that has not been an issue for a number of years  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »
The standing joke in Denmark is that the people of Zealand, have hired our flag and is only using the language because "we" let them. Though there are people who are bit more serious about that one. There is even parts in Denmark that want to independent or at least have more say in what is going on in their area, than always being told what to do by them there people on the island. I think that the "being different" part is the same all over the world,  if you are from the country or the capital.

Didn't know about the first university in India.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:40:17 pm »
Mother Scotish, father from Berlin.

Makes me pretty Englidh I think.

234th in line to the throne.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:49:09 pm »
As far as you can go back in the books (around 350 years) in Denmark I'm Danish both sides of the family did a tree. So over there I'm not Jonny Foreigner :)

spindrift

« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:52:33 pm »
Dad second generation Irish, mum East London native and an eighth Jewish.

Dad was RAF so I was born in Germany and you wouldn't believe the lederhosen jokes I've endured because of that.

Really Ancien

« Reply #14 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:56:46 pm »

Didn't know about the first university in India.
It's actually a bit complicated, a college was founded in Serampore, part of Danish India until 1845, by three Englishmen,but it was the first college to issue degrees in Asia, under a Danish Charter. So the first degres on the continent of Asia were Danish qualifications.
Serampore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damon.

« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:59:54 pm »
I'm only 3 generations removed so I'm not that foreign. Only when we beat the English at cricket or rugby or whatever, is it an issue !!  Therefore that has not been an issue for a number of years  ;D

Don't start
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:12:00 pm »
My ancestor was Admiraal Michiel de Ruyter, in charge at the Raid on the Medway where the Dutch laid waste to much of the English fleet.  The greatest defeat in English naval history, LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

cometworm

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:17:13 pm »
As far as you can go back in the books (around 350 years) in Denmark I'm Danish both sides of the family did a tree. So over there I'm not Jonny Foreigner :)

I'm Danish if you go 350 years back... but that's a bit too far - it still sounds like you're talking with your mouths full to me.

Really Ancien

« Reply #18 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:27:49 pm »
My ancestor was Admiraal Michiel de Ruyter, in charge at the Raid on the Medway where the Dutch laid waste to much of the English fleet.  The greatest defeat in English naval history, LOL!
One feature of the Second Anglo-Dutch war was the presence of many Englishmen among the Dutch forces, refugees from the restoration of Charles II, Colonel Thomas Dolmen, the leader of the Dutch Marines being one such man.

Damon.

« Reply #19 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:39:36 pm »
I must admit to being fascinated by abroad; Denmark;..., was first to abolish slavery, ...
Damon.
Much as I might like that to be true, it isn't. Denmark made trading in slaves illegal before the UK, but didn't abolish slavery in the colonies until 1848, 15 years after the British Empire.

Odd thing was, slavery was either illegal or had no legal basis (hence effectively illegal) in some European countries in the 17th & 18th centuries, but legal in their colonies. In England, slavery was never legislated for, enslavement was impossible, & the legal status of those brought in as slaves from countries where slavery had a legal basis was disputed for over 200 years (there were court decisions both ways), until finally it was decided they were free. Until then, slavery rested entirely on the tendency of the authorities to favour the property rights of rich Britons over the personal rights of poor non-Britons. In France, the courts had decided by the 16th century that all slaves taken into the country became free, but slavery was explicitly legislated for in the colonies.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #20 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:41:05 pm »
Where from? My Danish ancestors were from Fyn, Copenhagen, & Holsten. All ended up in Copenhagen by the 1880s

Jens udenlandsk?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jakob

« Reply #21 on: 06 February, 2009, 12:35:48 am »

I'm Danish if you go 350 years back... but that's a bit too far - it still sounds like you're talking with your mouths full to me.

Norwegian, right??

Then you were Danish if you go back less than 200 years :P

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #22 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:46:41 am »

What, Wales?
If you are talking foreign, would you all please bugger off back to Saxony, et al?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #23 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:02:06 am »

What, Wales?
If you are talking foreign, would you all please bugger off back to Saxony, et al?

Aren't the Celts from France?

Me, My Grandad was Dutch can trace his name back a few 100yrs to a place with his name in Belgium.
Nan was English.
Other Grandad was Scotish and Nan was from Ireland somewhere along the line.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:15:42 am »

Careful, GruB, the English are foreign. Now, run that rugby score by me once more...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.