Author Topic: Garden of Eden?  (Read 1195 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Garden of Eden?
« on: 01 March, 2009, 10:05:20 am »
Do these mysterious stones mark the site of the Garden of Eden?  | Mail Online

This is amazing ...

The first is its staggering age. Carbon-dating shows that the complex is at least 12,000 years old, maybe even 13,000 years old.

That means it was built around 10,000BC. By comparison, Stonehenge was built in 3,000 BC and the pyramids of Giza in 2,500 BC.

Gobekli is thus the oldest such site in the world, by a mind-numbing margin. It is so old that it predates settled human life. It is pre-pottery, pre-writing, pre-everything. Gobekli hails from a part of human history that is unimaginably distant, right back in our hunter-gatherer past.

If this is true then all we take for granted have to be re:written. This so reminds me of seeing the underground burial site of Hypogeum on Malta which is from around 4-5000BC.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Garden of Eden?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
It's got competition from Nevali Cori which was found in 1933 and is of the same vintage :)

Göbekli Tepe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nevalı Çori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting that the temple site could have been the stimulus for the invention of agriculture, just by having too many people around it to sustain by foraging.

Eden?  Schmeden.  But very, very cool.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2009, 11:33:44 am »
Fascinating stuff.  And only a tiny fraction of the site has been excavated, so there is much more to come.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:20:11 pm »
Blimey.  That's intense.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »
I'm extremely sceptical about this. Those carvings are incredible. The preservation of them is almost too good to be true.

I'm not dismissing it out of hand (although I think the Garden of Eden thing is a bit of a stretch) but I'd need to see a lot more than an article written by somebody flogging a book to be convinced.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:52:02 pm »
As far as I understand it, there are only stones (and some arrow heads) on the site.
How do you carbon date stone?  Surely it's as old as er.. stone?

I'm not disputing the report.  Just wondering how you date carving.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »
Yeah, I didn't like the way the guy wrote the article. He seemed to cherry pick "facts" from Genesis, but was happy to ignore the "fact" that if the dating of this site is correct, God didn't create the Earth for another 6,000 years!  :P

Bloody amazing place though!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »
I gather there was some charcoal found in the bottom layers which provided a 'habitation date'

It's also possible to date the limescale? deposits on the carved faces of rock to get a rough idea of how long it's been exposed to the atmosphere

A lot more research to be done though especially on why on earth they buried it
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
The Garden of Eden link really seems to be a 'media angle'...

Archaeologist Klaus Schmidt downplays extravagant spiritual interpretations of Göbekli Tepe, such as the idea, made popular in the press, that the site is the inspiration for the Biblical Garden of Eden. But he does agree that it was a sanctuary of profound significance in the Neolithic world. He sees it as a key site in understanding the transition from hunting and gathering to agriculture, and from tribal to regional religion.
The World's First Temple
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2009, 02:44:12 pm »
Basil, you can date the surface from its quarrying-date.  That makes carvings hard, if the rock was exposed and then worked a thousand years later - a lot of that is done from analysis of either the toolmarks (and thus date the tools) or cultural crossreferences.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2009, 04:40:02 pm »
The very word 'Eden' comes from the Sumerian for 'plain'; Gobekli lies on the plains of Harran.
There could be some mix up here, the Eden we talk about could easy be another since it means plain.

What I find amazing is that the site was buried but someone, not just packed up and moved along to somewhere else, a natural disaster or war.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2009, 04:51:22 pm »
The big problem I have in believing this is its source (not Woolly, the DM).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »
True I was not sure to post this link but as others have posted other links and I have found other links about this I'm happy to believe DM for once :)

« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2009, 05:57:37 pm »
I've been reading some of the comments on the Smithsonian article. Oh dear. An awful lot of Armenian nationalists saying "It's Armenian, not Turkish" - when nobody is saying it was built by Turks, any more than anyone reckons Stonehenge was built by Englishmen, & there was no such thing as an Armenian that long ago, followed by an assortment of loonies. Sad.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897