Author Topic: The Brylcreem Thread  (Read 3185 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Brylcreem Thread
« on: 29 December, 2009, 11:43:21 am »
I feel the forum really needs this.

I don't use it but I'm sure that there are plenty of ex-fupballers here who would love to discuss the finer points the Real Man's cosmetic and I want to learn from them. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The Brylcreem Thread
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:46:54 am »
Brylcreem inna toothpaste tube?

6:AM all Bleary eyed with greasy teeth.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:48:54 am »
That parting looks like it's been done with an axe

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:52:14 am »

In all the old movies the men are always whipping out a comb and pulling it through their Brylcreemed hair.
They're not tidying it. They are actually removing all the tiny flies that have stuck to it.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:16:20 pm »
I use the red pot of Brylcreem and have done for years now. It is brilliant for looking after well behaved hair. Providing you don't use too much, it doesn't look greasy - it just looks like you have hair product on, it doesn't wash out in the rain and preserves your hairstyle for ages without being crunchy.

I have a pot on my desk right now in fact :thumbsup:

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:22:32 pm »
"Hair product"? The only things I know of that hair produces are dandruff and nits, which does Brylcreem look like?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:24:39 pm »
It's certainly no use for baldies.

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:39:13 pm »
It's certainly no use for baldies.
So what do they use to hold the comb-over in place then?

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2009, 12:46:07 pm »
I didn't know you could buy that stuff anymore

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »
That parting looks like it's been done with an axe

Back when I was a small kid in the early sixties it certainly felt like it was done with an axe. 

My dad used to grip my jaw in a vice-like grip and close one eye to line up the target.  This was followed by the descent of the metal comp onto my scalp, in a chopping motion.

« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
I didn't know you could buy that stuff anymore

They've been trying to market it to a younger generation for some years now after it became unbelievable unfashionable. Someone bought me some for xmas a number of years ago. It was minging.

The current Brylcreem boy is the South African England Cricketer Kevin Pieterson. Before that it was David Beckham. Denis Compton was the all time best though!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2009, 07:03:21 pm »
Someone bought me some for xmas a number of years ago. It was minging.

Was it at that time when the hat came into play?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2009, 02:32:16 am »
Tis far to greasy. I use V05 Studioline or something.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2009, 02:39:25 am »
The smell of Brylcreem and Old Spice remind of me of my grandad. I remember getting into trouble when I was about 8 or 9 for using a bit of his Brylcreem. Nobody noticed until a day later when my hair started falling out in big clumps and I came clean. :o Obviously designed for the older generation (though I'm sure I'm there by now, unfortunately have a distinct lack of hair).  :-[

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:22:18 am »
Tis far to greasy. I use V05 Studioline or something.
Two versions of brill cream, one greasy one is not, give it whirl.

I used to use the non greasy back in the days when I did not have a thining crew cut.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 17 December, 2011, 10:02:40 am »
I've just noticed that the "safety razor" thread has just been given a new lease of life and I thought that this one could do with another boost.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 17 December, 2011, 10:18:45 am »
Brylcreem do seem to make various forms of concrete for 'messed up' hair which resides in our bathroom for use by offspring
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: 17 December, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
Horrible stuff! I do a fair amount of film extra-ing, and the rump of the work is 'period', i.e., the 'Brideshead' look - short back and sides and a big dollop of Brylcreem for good measure. The hair and make-up artists with a bit of a heart who pamper and preen us try to use a modern non-greasy substitute, but it goes without saying that in general, we don't have a say in the matter. It ruins the lining of my motorbike lid, and believe me you look like an absolute twat if you have to pop into Tesco on the way home.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly