Author Topic: Crossness  (Read 1506 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Crossness
« on: 24 January, 2010, 08:11:25 pm »
The old sewage works, I went down there for a recce for a music video today and I have to say what an amazing place, from the huge machines to the ornate decor. I shot a fair bit of video inside just wondering around exploring etc. Does anyone wanna see?  

I have the say the volunteers who are restoring the place are doing an amazing job, so much so that I offered to do a promo video and go down and help in my spare time.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Crossness
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
IIRC someone did a YACF Ride To The Shite Pumps a year or so ago.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »
It's absolutely wonderful :D. Lambeth cyclists did a ride there once when the pump was in steam and I fully expected to be bored rigid and spend the time in the cafe, but the amazing iron work and the stunning half-restoration is completely awe-inspiring! I'd love to see the video :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:44:30 pm »
Isn't it superb?!  :D There was a Greenwich ride  there last year and it was a lot of fun. I remember that Clarion, SuperStoker and Butterfly joined us  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »
Yes, which means I've seen the shitpumps in steam twice! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Butterfly joined us after we left Crossness on that ride :(
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2010, 12:57:28 am »
Hold on, they told me they weren't operational yet? :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2010, 08:37:11 am »
Never been anywhere near it, but the Victorians do seem to have liked decorative shite, if you see what I mean. Just take a look at any 19th-century public toilet. They weren't above a bit of toilet humour, either: the little bees you sometimes see on old urinals? Well, back then everyone (educated) knew that the Latin for bee was apis.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:37:35 am »
One of the engines runs a few times a year.  The others are a looong way off.  And there is a whole hall that was stripped out, so those engines may never be recreated :(
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »
My bad, she said that they weren't operation at the moment, something about climbing behind the flywheel.

Anyways here's my videos, unedited.
      YouTube
            - SamValiant's Channel

they're all in the Crossness channel. Was shot on a camera phone type camera so it's shaky and not great in low light. It's just me wondering and shooting.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »
Sam, did you know you've something very similar much closer to home, by way of Station A at Abbey Mills Pumping Station in E15?

Same engineer (Bazalgette) and same architect (Driver).

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:52:46 pm »
I know about AM but I have no contact with them. As far as I was aware it's been left to waste away?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »
As far as I was aware it's been left to waste away?

I think you're probably right - the conservation people have done shed loads of work on the interior of Crossness, what with restoring the beam engines (I think they're on the second of four at the mo) and what have you.
While the exterior of the Grade II listed building is pretty good, I'm not sure the same sort of care and attention has been lavished on the interior of Abbey Mills.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:30:22 am »
I've been told I can have full access now :) Crossness truly is beautiful inside.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:21:32 pm »
I've been told I can have full access now :) Crossness truly is beautiful inside.
Fantastic :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.