Author Topic: Best reply?  (Read 8420 times)

Best reply?
« on: 12 January, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »
Got from another forum, check it out. Made me chuckle.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/96-jeep-cherokee-need-opinions-1149721/

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Best reply?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
Brilliant!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

Not exactly the reply that she hoped would come, but it is brilliant  ;D ;D

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »
They're assuming it's a girl posting.  What a wanker.

S'pose it's a bit like someone posting on here asking how to break her husband of his Sturmey Archer fixation.  "I wear my sexiest underwear but all he wants to talk about is internal planetary gears."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:55:56 pm »
Poor Mrs Rogerzilla  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »
Wot Deano said.

In my experience, when you think you are in too deep to back out, that's the time you need to cut your losses.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
Hello? Is there a sence of any humour here?
So what it was thought the OP was a woman. Can you not just see the post as abit of a joke?
Do you not have a sence of humour, or do you just look too deep into everything? Deeper then you need to go?
But actually, just take offence.

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
1gear, maybe you need to grow up a little.

I didn't take offense, I just think that the guy posting the very long rant needs to chill a bit and not be so rude.

Think on, the OP described the bf dropping nearly 6k on a vehicle that was still non-functional. That's a heck of a lot of money. No wonder they were worried.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »
And how much have you, and others spent on bikes? How much have you spent on A bike, or bikes?
I bet you have spent quite abit. I know I've spent a vast amount on bikes.
He decides to spend his money on something with 4 wheels. He must have the money, or like the car or he wouldn't do it.
You spend money on bikes because you enjoy them and you can afford to.
Different people like different things.
I might need to grow up, but you could do with lightening up a little and seeing people will spend a lot of money on whatever they want, which is their choice. I don't think they would comment on you spending a grand or more on a bicycle, or bicycles.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:55:30 pm »
I didn't take offense, I just think that the guy posting the very long rant needs to chill a bit and not be so rude.

His reply seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek to me. And almost funny. Didn't seem like he intended any malice.

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
Exactly, it wasn't put with any hurt intended I don't think.
Yet again I need to grow up, sorry, but if growing up is anything like your painting the picture of, I shall stay as I am!

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:05:39 am »
 I don't think  it was malicious  - but I think they could have shown more appreciation towards the fact that s/he is just not getting it. 

The reply smacked of "stupid-woman-doesn't-understand-jeeps".  A more nuanced reply wouldn't have been as funny, but would have probably helped.  Hell, I know FA about jeeps, and I don't think my life would be enhanced by increasing my knowledge in that area.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:19:09 am »
That was excellent! Incidentally I just get anyone saying the guy isn't anything but a comedic genius (did someone here have a sense of humour bypass?).

Really that was the best reply ever! Yes. Let's hope he never gets into bikes or he might put one or two of us in our place the next time we ask what gear ratio to ride the South Downs!

« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:20:59 am »
And how much have you, and others spent on bikes? How much have you spent on A bike, or bikes?

That's different, bikes are important! ;D

In all seriousness, the boyfriend had sunk $6k into a vehicle that still doesn't run, and may not ever provide dependable use of any kind. It's important to let your boyfriend/girlfriend follow their passion, but the boyfriend seems to be shoveling cash into a money pit at this point, and the girlfriend may have good reason to be concerned.

The reply was funny, but the bits about making his meals, etc., etc. were a little over the top. Would the boyfriend do the same for her?

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:40:17 am »
I'm not an engineer, but ... oh hang on a minute, yes I flippin am.

If someone is going to go on THAT forum with THOSE complaints, they should think themselves damn lucky that the first reply wasn't a simple 'Sod Off', but a great answer to all those ... those ...

Look, I'm as open minded as anyone in the Navy can be. I read the Guardian and I'm aware that PC is a way of being polite to people we'd previously have made the butt of our jokes. That said, the OP on that forum is a prize fanny (M or F) and needs to zip up their man suit and realise that some things are as alien to them as the precise arrangement of cushions on the sofa is to blokes (whether M or F)

And if the reply was funny in places, but OTT in others, isn't it possible that the writer is at least as clever as you and employing hyperbole and irony to make a point byond his actual target?

Because that never happens here ...

And the very idea of Mrs PB in a pair of overalls, with her hair in a ponytail, smacking a wedge with a hammer and greasy marks on nher from manual labour ... I may have to go and lie down in a darked room for a bit.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:10:38 am »
Hello? Is there a sence of any humour here?

Don't let the forum Humour Police patronise you, 1gear. There's no shortage of po-faced sanctimonious people on this forum ready to try and take the moral high ground....even when their shallowness means they totally miss the subtlety.

The Jeep forum reply was so obviously massively over the top that it was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:41:07 am »
I can seem humour - but the OP was clearly upset and asking for advice. What was dished out was a pile of unhelpful criticism, albeit tongue in cheek.

1gear, I'm one of the people who only spend on bikes when necessary, and use a lot of 2nd-hand bits and pieces. Sorry to let you down, but your trying to get me to own up to spending unnecessarily won't work, because I don't. Too many responsibilities and bills for that.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:54:14 am »
Well I'm pleased for you.
What an interesting person you are.
Persdnally(and I'm not sure if you know this) I and other people are quite happy spending money on cars, bikes and whatever else they like.

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:58:23 am »
Persdnally(and I'm not sure if you know this) I and other people are quite happy spending money on cars, bikes and whatever else they like.

That's because you are a kid, and don't yet have those things called 'responsibilities'; ie, other people to think of.

Enjoy yourself now, make the most of it.

Edit:
I lie, partly. I spend pretty much what I like on booze. Until I can't afford it. Good thing there's so much left over after xmas.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:05:54 am »
So does the YACF POTD actually have to be from YACF?

;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:06:17 am »
Problem is, even after all that, the very best you can hope for is a Jeep Cherokee.

Bummer.
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:17:05 am »
yeah.

Now, if it had been a landrover . . . . (thinks of the rusty heap he currently has sitting in a field).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:21:54 am »
Firstly, don't call me a kid.
Secondly, I don't drink alcohol. I don't piss my money into a toilet.

I see you waste your money on something you piss down the toilet, I waste my money on something that lasts abit longer.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:30:25 am »
Jesus, 1gear, lighten up. Don't you have a sence of humour?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #24 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:41:50 am »
Problem is, even after all that, the very best you can hope for is a Jeep Cherokee.

Bummer.

See, now that is POTD worthy ;D

The original post on that forum missed my sense of humour.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart