Author Topic: Fabrice Muamba  (Read 2150 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Fabrice Muamba
« on: 17 March, 2012, 09:01:46 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17417973

I've just noticed this worrying report amid all the rugby-related euphoria. I hope the poor chap pulls through.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Fabrice Muamba
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:03:46 pm »
Twitter says he's stable in hospital, which sounds a lot better than what Twitter was saying a couple of hours ago.

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:04:47 pm »
He was out for 10 mins or so. Not good.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
BBC News 24 says he's "critically ill" in the heart attack centre. Very sad, and it must have been very distressing to everybody in the stadium.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:39:47 pm »
I can't say I've ever noticed this guy because I don't follow football, but it just seems so wrong when someone who appears to be in the best of health is suddenly struck down with a debilitating condition. I've just watched "The Mervyn Davies Story" and I can't help thinking about poor old Wilf Slack.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2012, 11:15:24 pm »
BBC now says "critical".

Doesn't sound good.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:26:04 am »
BBC now says "critical".

Doesn't sound good.

Long-term outcome for out of hospital cardiac arrest is dreadful, unfortunately.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:41:29 am »
I'm wondering whether such a high-level game has ever been abondoned after just 41 minutes due to 1 sick player.

I can only guess that the players and officials were just in shock from such an unusual event. Must have been very distressing.  :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:52:12 am »
you escape from your country becasue of the threat of imprisonment or death. At age 11 you come to a place where you don't have the native language. You leaern it and also gain qualifications - more than anyone else in your team. You play for England under 21s and become a father.

Sometimes life really sucks. As helly says, this doesn't look good.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2012, 10:39:01 am »
Poor bloke. Struck down in his prime.

That always seems worse.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:44:59 am »
Hopefully this will inspire more people to learn how to do CPR. Kudos to the paramedics in keeping him going to get to hospital alive. Hopefully they kept enough blood moving through the brain to prevent severe damage.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:53:05 am »
Timely reminder to self to get the training.   

Some while back one of my sisters did the training with work.  Soon afterwards she saved the life of a man who collapsed in front of her in a shop. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:55:29 am »
One of our (reasonably) local schools had this to deal with last week. Horrific.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9595699.4_000_join_in_tribute_to_Basildon_schoolgirl_Leonie/

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #13 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
Apparently ITV Tonight is reporting that 'Fabrice Muamba now breathing independently and can recognise family members'

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #14 on: 19 March, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »
Hopefully this will inspire more people to learn how to do CPR. Kudos to the paramedics in keeping him going to get to hospital alive. Hopefully they kept enough blood moving through the brain to prevent severe damage.

Apparently saved by a member of Willesden CC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03/19/fabrice-muamba-heart-attack-dr-andrew-deaner-spurs-bolton_n_1362714.html?ref=uk

<quote>
In his personal profile for Spire, Dr Deaner writes: "I was born and brought up in south west Essex.

"I am married with three teenage children, and spend much of my spare time cycling on a Colnago C50 road bike.

"Amongst numerous cycling achievements, I have successfully ridden an amateur stage of the Tour De France on six occasions and have completed the ultra-long distance Paris-Brest-Paris cycle event on two occasions. <unquote>

Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2012, 11:45:45 pm »
I can't say I've ever noticed this guy because I don't follow football, but it just seems so wrong when someone who appears to be in the best of health is suddenly struck down with a debilitating condition. I've just watched "The Mervyn Davies Story" and I can't help thinking about poor old Wilf Slack.

Sometimes very fit people can have heart conditions that only manifest themselves suddenly and, usually, fatally. I had a friend who was outwardly in perfect health - a fireman, runner, cyclist, etc, who was enjoying a leisurely swim with his wife, got out of the pool and keeled over. Aged 28. The autopsy revealed a longstanding condition that could not have been diagnosed until the attack that killed him. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #16 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:15:40 am »
A friend of mine in his late twenties suddenly died overnight for no apparent cause.

It happens. It is shocking.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:36:31 am »
A friend of mine in his late twenties suddenly died overnight for no apparent cause.

It happens. It is shocking.

Same here. Best man at my wedding, and best mate. He went to bed one night and didn't wake up. He was 26. I still miss him.

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 20 March, 2012, 01:27:47 pm »

Apparently saved by a member of Willesden CC.

Yes;

I did my first 600 with Andrew in 2003 (and also met him in Brest 4 years later to ask if he knew anything about hernias)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 20 March, 2012, 05:31:04 pm »
Some people, whose hearts are initially 'normal' get a viral myocarditis when they have a cold or 'flu, which can trigger a potentilly fatal arrhthmia.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 20 March, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
I've had something similar, although by the time I got to the GP the next day everything was normal (he checked BP and did an ECG).  Some viruses just elevate your heart rate enough that you hit MHR when you wouldn't normally, and hitting MHR, and I mean *maximum* heart rate, is never pleasant.  If it happens to you, either keep going slowly or get off the bike and lie on the ground.  If you just get off and stand there, like I did, you'll probably faint as the blood pools in your legs, and faints are never good because you tend to crack your head.

The weird thing was the way consciousness came back - everything was black, but I got to my feet (back of head very sore from hitting the pavement).  A passer-by asked if I was OK and I said yes, but I couldn't see anything.  Then the streetlights started to pop into view, then his silhouette, then his face.    Apparently 40% of the brain's oxygen uptake is just to run the visual system, so it's the first thing to go and the last thing to come back if there's not enough blood.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21 on: 21 March, 2012, 06:43:02 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17460781

Remarkable story. Absolutely top notch resus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17460781

Remarkable story. Absolutely top notch resus.

Indeed. Amazing 78 mins downtime; few recover after 18...