Author Topic: Le déluge  (Read 2123 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Le déluge
« on: 20 September, 2014, 12:08:27 pm »
Yesterday our weather station recorded something like 33mm rain in an hour. Dez has yet to examine the analogue rain gauge in the garden, which tends to record more by about 20%. Laura and Rob, who are with us atm, told us that Witham is mostly under water. The tarmac on the road outside our house has been lifted by the vast amount of water it has had to put up with.

Anyone else suffering today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Le déluge
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »
Yesterday and today dry as a bone here. Sun was even out for a little play in the afternoon yesterday.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:15:35 pm »
I either slept through this or had rather less rain than you but nw3weather (about 7 miles away) has recorded this.
http://nw3weather.co.uk/wx12.php

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:24:06 pm »
Yesterday our weather station recorded something like 33mm rain in an hour. Dez has yet to examine the analogue rain gauge in the garden, which tends to record more by about 20%. Laura and Rob, who are with us atm, told us that Witham is mostly under water. The tarmac on the road outside our house has been lifted by the vast amount of water it has had to put up with.

Anyone else suffering today.

Wow, I'm in Blackmore so not too far from you and closer to Witham.  Hardly a drop has fallen here.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »
My brother spent 42 years working for the Essex Water Co, who have been keeping weather records since 1960. The wettest day recorded there up to his retirement 4 years ago was in Sept 1968, when a little over 50mm fell in 24 hours. He reckons we have had 4 wetter days than that in the past 13 months, the wettest being in August last year when our station recorded 64mm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »
BBC's report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29292705

Seems your déluge was yesterday but Hampstead's was earlier today.

I got up at 7 o'clock. It was no more than light rain here, despite what would appears to have been a Biblical Fludde in Hampstead.

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2014, 12:48:44 pm »
According to the local uni weather station (Chester) last nights drizzle doubled the monthly rain total from 0.4 mm to 0.8 mm
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »
Despite being able to see Sarfend from just out the front door we've had no rain at all here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »
Previous post amended to add the word "brother". Dez sez 50mm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2014, 04:07:37 pm »
Previous post amended to add the word "brother". Dez sez 50mm.

Have amended my post too.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »
Thuderstorm in Ipswich this morning, probably the same one.  But roas OK to Witham until we ctually got there.  We avoided the centre, apparently underwater, as already mentioned.
Ipswich was fine aiui.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2014, 03:45:05 am »
Round here we've been clobbered by the tail end of Hurricane Odile.  Yesterday morning was vile and US-285 was closed at the Texas state line thirty odd miles south of Carlsbad NM.  The detour added up to a hundred extra miles.  Today west Texas was supposed to have a repeat dose with El Paso supposed to receive 10-15 cm, but here in Alpine TX it doesn't look to have been too bad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2014, 07:29:54 am »
It's dry in Wales! :)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:12:48 am »
Landing into Heathrow yesterday morning, it was notable that all the thunderstorms (and there were many) were East of the M25. The first - very, very active - was just north of Heathrow at 6:20 am. West of there, it was a nice morning. The drive home to Sudbury was Wet, though I missed the central downpour of the various storms around me.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:07:51 am »
Here in Witham, yesterday morning, we had some incredible weather. It started about 0615 and went on for a couple of hours. Spa Rd, which is a hill, and very close to our house, was a raging torrent judging by the photos on social media.  The water also ran into some poor people's houses. There was also flooding around the town. The thunder and lightening was also quite spectacular.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:37:11 pm »
I've just got home. Some temporary traffic lights have been installed outside our house. An entire manhole assembly and the tarmac surrounding it has been lifted about 6 inches by the force of the water in the drains. For some reason the manhole cover didn't come off so the tarmac it was attached to so the manhole assembly and its surroundings will need some fairly major repairs in the not-too-distant future. This is a busy, narrow road and to have single lane working at peak hours will almost certainly have some sort of knock-on effect for a good deal of central Southend.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2014, 11:05:24 pm »
These were the sights that greeted myself and the girls when we walked up that way to retrieve our car (which had been left parked near to OD Towers the previous evening).

This was yesterday, around 11:45, so a good few hours after the rain had stopped.

Looking across Spa Rd. towards Highfields Rd. and Asda:-

Slightly different angle showing a bit further up Spa Rd.  The yoof on the left were deliberately standing as close to the road as possible to get soaked.  Plenty of drivers were more than willing to drive through at high pace and oblige them (and anyone else who wasn't actually trying to get soaked!  >:().

Houses just off Spa Rd. - possibly the ones OD mentioned as being affected by water ingress.  That water is actually flowing left to right at a decent rate (feeding the stuff flowing down then across Spa Road in the other pics):-

The view across the car park entrance at Asda.  Again this is flowing left to right, before disappearing into a ditch on the far side of the car park entry road.  This is where the girls and I finally decided to cross - they were wearing Crocs, so just plodged through.  I removed shoes and socks and went barefoot until well clear of the splash zone.:-

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2014, 07:45:40 am »
Blimey  :o

« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:08:34 am »
Last week I passed through such torrential rain that my eye sockets were filling up with water. 6" of water on the road, literally nearly halfway to my axles.

5 miles away in York it was bone dry. Not a drop of rain all day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:15:44 am »
That is the nature of showers, however large and intense they are. They have limited extent, and only those under their ground track will be affected.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:58:41 am »
The drills are busy this morning.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 22 September, 2014, 03:37:03 pm »
I've just been out to chat to the blokes doing the work.

The hole covered by that manhole cover is very deep - 10 to 15 metres, according to them. I had a look down it and the ladder disappeared into the depths. It's a storm drain, as distinct from a sewer.

Eyewitness reports from across the road at the Royal Naval Association include that it was struck by lightning and that the whole road surface was lifting and dropping in a pulsating kind of way. I'm thinking we need to call in Prof. Quatermass.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »
More flash flood warnings around here (Las Cruces, NM) today.  I'd take a few snaps of the mountains over the way if I could see them :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #23 on: 22 September, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »
I've just been out to chat to the blokes doing the work.

The hole covered by that manhole cover is very deep - 10 to 15 metres, according to them. I had a look down it and the ladder disappeared into the depths. It's a storm drain, as distinct from a sewer.

Eyewitness reports from across the road at the Royal Naval Association include that it was struck by lightning and that the whole road surface was lifting and dropping in a pulsating kind of way. I'm thinking we need to call in Prof. Quatermass.

Have you given your roof the once over with the binos?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 22 September, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »
No, I'll just send a man up there with a quadcopter and gopro!!  :D