Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 132392 times)

Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #575 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:15:41 pm »

Thanks for the update.  My knowledge of assault weapons is extremely limited.  👍

Look at Hickok45 on Youtube to expand your knowledge.  Every type of firearm tried & tested by an avuncular old codger.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #576 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:18:13 pm »
The AR-15 is not an assault weapon, it's a 'sports rifle.' The sport is in running away from the person bearing that rifle.

I did discover yesterday that you can get a licence from the ATF to own full-automatic weapons for 'product development purposes.'

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #577 on: 19 February, 2021, 06:22:02 pm »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Tim lives in:
  • an underground bunker in the Idaho Panhandle so crammed with tinned food, bottled water and ammunition that there's barely room for Tim himself, or
  • Key West
Either way he'll have a generator the size of a 40’ shipping container, pride himself on living “off the grid*” and moan like buggery when SNO/hurricanes stop his diesel delivery.

* except for his internet connection, obv

Tim Boyd was the mayor of Colorado City, TX when he wrote those words, a post which he has since resigned rather abruptly. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/us/tim-boyd-mayor-colorado-city-texas.html

Mr Boyd seems to have followed the right wing practice of trying to make government as small as possible, while making sure he gets paid a fat salary by said government. Of course he just might be a MAGA wearing AR-15 carrying maniac, too.
Note to PB: I believe that the AK-47 is a Russian weapon developed during the Soviet era, and as such unacceptable to rightwing American loonies. The AR-15 is the US-designed assault rifle favored by mass murderers, rightwing loonies, and other very fine people.

Facts.  Bah :'(

My chum Fast Freddy, a self-confessed Republican ever since Jimmy Carter wouldn’t let him go to the Moscow Olympics, owns an example of both the AK-47 and AR-15.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #579 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:44:08 am »
In That Texas, some of the gas-fired power plants were offline for maintenance.  Fair enough, the usual peak load time is in the summer, for air conditioning.

About 2/3 of the wind turbines iced up (because no heaters on the blades, unlike further north).  The remaining ones produced well above their rated ability.

Coal-fired plants had problems with coal stockpiles freezing solid; operating gas-fired were short of gas, since others were using it for heating; nuke plants had to operate at lower capacity because cooling equipment iced up. 

All told, for the gas-fired part alone, the amount of electricity they weren't able to generate was about equal to what California uses on a daily basis.

Texas is #1 in energy use per capita in the USA.  They used to take it for granted.

And, then of course, water mains don't get buried very deep, because "what's a frost depth?", and the resulting bursting is to be expected.

There were similar, but smaller scale, cold weather tests in 1989 and 2011.  After each one, the toothless regulatory group made suggestions that energy suppliers examine their cold weather resilience.  Few did.  Even last week, during their regular conference call, they spent more time joking about cowboy boots than discussing the weather forecast.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #580 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:35:33 am »
I'd suggest moving that to the Darwin Awards thread but enough of them will survive to perpetuate the syndrome.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #581 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:52:16 am »
You know how you should always check under the toilet seat for spiders:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56136249   :o

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #582 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:53:26 am »
That's what happened to Pooh Bear.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #583 on: 20 February, 2021, 01:30:44 pm »
BEARS, woods, er…

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #584 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:24:08 pm »
In That Texas, some of the gas-fired power plants were offline for maintenance.  Fair enough, the usual peak load time is in the summer, for air conditioning.

About 2/3 of the wind turbines iced up (because no heaters on the blades, unlike further north).  The remaining ones produced well above their rated ability.

Coal-fired plants had problems with coal stockpiles freezing solid; operating gas-fired were short of gas, since others were using it for heating; nuke plants had to operate at lower capacity because cooling equipment iced up. 

All told, for the gas-fired part alone, the amount of electricity they weren't able to generate was about equal to what California uses on a daily basis.

Texas is #1 in energy use per capita in the USA.  They used to take it for granted.

And, then of course, water mains don't get buried very deep, because "what's a frost depth?", and the resulting bursting is to be expected.

There were similar, but smaller scale, cold weather tests in 1989 and 2011.  After each one, the toothless regulatory group made suggestions that energy suppliers examine their cold weather resilience.  Few did.  Even last week, during their regular conference call, they spent more time joking about cowboy boots than discussing the weather forecast.
They obviously need some of that global warming all the green folk have beeen going on and on and on about.  ::-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #585 on: 20 February, 2021, 06:33:42 pm »

« Reply #586 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:49:10 pm »
They obviously need some of that global warming all the green folk have beeen going on and on and on about.  ::-)
Climate scientists suggest that climate change has disturbed the normal path of the jet stream, allowing the polar vortex effect to move much further south, bringing that cold down with it.
So what they really need is less global warming.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #587 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:01:12 am »
Yet another exploding 'gender reveal' device.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56159731
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #588 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:32:32 am »
Why these fossicking idiots are allowed to reproduce is beyond me: they're obviously not doing anything for the gene pool.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #591 on: 27 February, 2021, 02:49:29 pm »
gross!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #593 on: 27 February, 2021, 05:12:59 pm »
Never bring a knife to a cockfight... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56224144

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #594 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:18:34 pm »
Never bring a knife to a cockfight... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56224144

I think that bloke in Florida actually brought a bible...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #595 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:39:02 pm »
I wonder how this happened:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/politics/mar-a-lago-closed-covid-outbreak/index.html

with overtones of "Florida man"

« Reply #596 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:41:35 pm »
and Florida man needs expensive aircraft repairs, must resort to flying in small private jet:

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-boeing-757-need-repairs-empty-ny-airport-2021-3

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #597 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:28:12 pm »
IIRC – I think there’s mention of it in the “Last Trump” thread downstairs – they were trying to source a replacement engine for it several months ago just so's they could fly it down to Texas for a full overhaul.

« Reply #598 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:57:32 pm »
IIRC – I think there’s mention of it in the “Last Trump” thread downstairs – they were trying to source a replacement engine for it several months ago just so's they could fly it down to Texas for a full overhaul.

For once, the search engine worked: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10502.msg2566507#msg2566507

For those who haven't opted into the P&OBI group, here's the story I was posting about: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/from-air-force-one-to-trump-force-one/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #599 on: 20 March, 2021, 11:03:36 pm »
Ha!  I knew That Spesh would rise to the bait and save me the bother of grappling with the Search SCIENCE ;D