Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815574 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #450 on: 10 May, 2008, 06:49:34 pm »
Not today but hope to get out early and do a quick 100k before the kids come round at 10 for a slower ride to the Stoke Goldington steam rally.

Rich.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #451 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:09:27 pm »
30 hot sweltering miles for me.  First 18+mph average of the year.   8) 8) 8) 8)

I love the summer!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mind you, some of those bloody insects don't half hurt when they smack into your forehead!  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #452 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:11:28 pm »
Yes, our first utility cycle ride in our new location. 1.5 miles each way to visit my mum. But it doesn't stop there, oh no. We shall soon be cycling along the seafront to visit friends and go to the pub. I could get to like this new life style.

alan

« Reply #453 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:35:17 pm »
I took Mrs Jaded out on a trip this morning, to breakfast by the canal near Slimbridge.

Would that be at the Chandlery by the Tudor pub/caravan site?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #454 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:38:04 pm »
I have been out! :thumbsup:

Not breaking any distance records, but Superstoker & I rode down the Wandle Trail to Earlsfield to get some bits for the new tandem.  Big event for Ss, because he's still very nervous of riding a solo.  Well done, that man! *proud dad*

Later, we went to Earlsfield again via quiet roads to do a bit of shopping.  This time on the tandem.  Superstoker took to the new machine really well. 

Whilst at the shops, i discovered why the rear brake was misbehaving - a badly fitted cable :(  I bodged, but didn't want to be on the roads too much, so we did the Wandle Trail again.  Superstoker was a bit concerned about the bits through (past - hah!) traffic, but he did great.  :D :D :D

Butterfly wants us to use a slower machine if she's to have a chance of keeping up ;D
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #455 on: 10 May, 2008, 07:48:16 pm »
I took Mrs Jaded out on a trip this morning, to breakfast by the canal near Slimbridge.

Would that be at the Chandlery by the Tudor pub/caravan site?

Indeed! The Chandlery stuff has moved next door to the cafe, which has been tarted up*.

* If you've never been there before, you probably wouldn't notice.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #456 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »
Really slow enjoyable pootle on Lea Navigation Tow Path with grandson #1.  I think he enjoyed it - cetainly he didn't stop talking all the time we were out.  I think it was a bit warm for both of us.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #457 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
Yes, a short pootle to Nunhead Cemetery. What an incredible place! 

Ice cream on the way back. Woolly had a blue one.  ::-)
yum yum yum, bubblegum and tutti-frutti :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #458 on: 10 May, 2008, 08:07:37 pm »
Yes, a short pootle to Nunhead Cemetery. What an incredible place! 

Ice cream on the way back. Woolly had a blue one.  ::-)
yum yum yum, bubblegum and tutti-frutti :)
I live in Kirriemuir, birthplace of JM Barrie, author of Peter Pan. Our local ice cream parlour does "Peter Pan Special" flavour.
Go on, guess.

Pineapple and marshmallow.  ??? :sick:

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #459 on: 10 May, 2008, 09:44:33 pm »
Oh yes!

75 miles (80+ for Julian I'd say) with the club; about 4 to 4.5 hours. I had a bad patch 2 hours in the ride which slowed us down a bit (I was flying before and may well have overdone it!  :-\ Sorry Julian et al.), but after a difficult 45 minutes I did recover somewhat and managed to go back into some rhythm. By the fourth hour though both Julian and I, who were heading home, were feeling quite cooked I think! It is not that we were slow by then; just a little bit slower.  ;D

A nice, warm ride!  8)

A gentle recovery is on order tomorrow I think.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #460 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:03:57 pm »
125km in the lovely sunny warm!  I have started on my tan lines with some real beauties, pink stockings of the finest spring order.  Fixed, on the flat from Wells to Taunton, up to Weston for an ice cream and back to Wells, buddying up with a tri friend who is getting the miles in for Iron in a month. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #461 on: 10 May, 2008, 10:24:02 pm »
My normal loop in 1h 7m 9s! :o

I must drink 4 pints of beer before every ride... ;)

A lovely evening.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #462 on: 10 May, 2008, 11:48:15 pm »
Originally planned a 3-days ride along youthhostels in the Ardennes. Problempoint was that the Namur hostel was full when I wanted to make a reservation. Noone had cancelled when I checked this evening, so I returned by train and will go back to Namur to continue tomorrow morning. Nice 116k though to Namur.

« Reply #463 on: 11 May, 2008, 09:44:31 am »
Oh yes!

75 miles (80+ for Julian I'd say) with the club;

A gentle recovery is on order tomorrow I think.

Frenchie
Which club do you ride with? is it the Clarion? I went out with the Beeston road club for a nice 32 mile loop out to Wyemswold on Thursday evening, nice bunch.
Yesterday out through Kegworth, Gotham, Clifton and home before breakfast: then got the girls out on the tag-along down the canal to the 'Raleigh exhibition' at the university.
This mornings ride was a reaquaintance with my P7 and a quick pootle up the Trent, Erewash, and through Toton sidings. (An old off-road commuting route of mine which would make a nice gentle recovery ride for tired limbs.)

gordon taylor

« Reply #464 on: 11 May, 2008, 09:56:10 am »
Eight miles - out to get the paper, plus an extra loop. That's taken me to exactly 2500 miles on Bikejournal since 1st January. I get really excited about these distance milestones!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #465 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:51:58 am »
About 25 hot miles on the Fuji track bike, including two 1:6 hills.  It hurt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #466 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:57:22 am »
A nice and easy 65k before it got too hot and I'm going walking on the Wolds and in the woods this afty. 

Si

« Reply #467 on: 11 May, 2008, 12:25:56 pm »
First ride of over 10miles since the start of April (indeed only second ride of any sort since then)!

Everything has gone green, not to mention a bit warm.

Felt great to be back out on the bike if only around 20miles and averaging around 11mph, plus am very tired now, spending rest of day sitting in garden and happily aching.

Fingers crossed that I don't have a reaction to the ride in the next couple of days and that I can start doing a bit more now.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #468 on: 11 May, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
A nice pootle from Jon's parents in Ashtead (Surrey) back to Pimlico - Jon is being lazy and will be taking the train later.  Route was Ashtead to Leatherhead, up the A234 and then on the cycle route to Kingston upon Thames and along the Thames Path to Pimlico. 

Luckily I was going against the flow of cyclists doing the London Bridges ride but the Thames Path was absolutely heaving.  As well as the London Bridges ride, there was a womens' sponsored walk going the other way and large numbers of kids on bikes.

All in all a pleasant 25 miles - the weather is glorious!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #469 on: 11 May, 2008, 01:51:48 pm »
I'm not going out today.  I'm melting at home.

Yesterday we did a gentle 50 miles on the tandem, but that was hot and horrible.  (The tarmac in Edwins Hall Road had melted!  Really slowed us down while the tyres were pulling through that glue)

How on earth do you lot cope in this heat?  I'm just waiting for October >:(

« Reply #470 on: 11 May, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »
Yep my SundayGruBrun of 50 miles today.  Twas lovely.
Just mowed the lawn - that was hot going.
Mrs G has entered the Race for Life and wants to go out this arvo.
Walk/run to the warf at Pewsey so the boys and I will ride the MTBs.  ;D
Then BBQ for tea.
What a life.

annie

« Reply #471 on: 11 May, 2008, 02:43:50 pm »
Not today, my little sis is heading back to Cheltenham, had a wonderful weekend with her and her husband.  I am pottering in the garden in my bikini.  I can't believe it is only early May.

« Reply #472 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:13:33 pm »
~31 mile around south Oxfordshire (Classic Oxfordshire ride)  :)

see route - http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/didcot/931269840452
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #473 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:13:45 pm »
Regulator: I too was dodging the Bridges riders on today's expedition to Weybridge. The marshalls kept clapping me on with their huge orange foam hands. :) I wasn't complaining.

A lovely, fast, hot 30 odd miles. I got home and Woolly presented me with a huge plate of bubble and squeak. Can't beat it!

« Reply #474 on: 11 May, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »
1½ miles, to Sainsburys and back with Bob the trailer.  I think that's probably the shortest cycle I've ever done, it's generally faster to walk that sort of distance, but I was intending to shift some heavyish stuff.

It was made a bit more interesting trying to get across three lanes of traffic on the Purley Way to turn right into the shops.
Actually, it is rocket science.