Author Topic: burglar / smoke alarm recommendation?  (Read 6173 times)

Re: burglar / smoke alarm recommendation?
« Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2022, 08:11:37 am »
Thread necromancy…
Our smoke alarms are at about their 10 year life and one seems dead on testing at the weekend. I want a set of three that will talk to each other, as the perpetual palace is spread over 3 floors and I want woken if the washing machine blows up in the night. One is usually in the kitchen. I don’t want to wire them in (light fitting might work). I don’t have any interest in fire detection depending on an internet connection.
Is there anything else to choose between alarms now? Should I just get 3 of the £50 ones from the screw fix round the corner? (I’m sure that’s more expensive). Any recommendations?

« Reply #26 on: 04 May, 2022, 08:51:48 am »
For interlinked alarm advice, there's quite a bit on this thread (it's about the Scottish legislation, but plenty of advice on interlinked alarms in general).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #27 on: 04 May, 2022, 09:06:06 am »
Although in general I'd advocate wired systems, in some situations it's not really practical.  I'd not fancy trying to run wires across 3 floors, with poor or no access to the necessary void spaces.  So I'd probably go with wireless interlinked in this situation.

I'd be looking as a minimum at one smoke detector in each hallway / landing, and a heat detector in the kitchen.
It's normal practice to use heat detectors in kitchens rather than a smoke detector, to avoid false alarms from normal cooking.

I don't have any particular advice re brands, I'll let others comment on that.  I can't imagine there's much wrong with whatever screwfix are selling.

Your thread title also mentions intruder alarms.  These are nothing to do with fire detection systems, and not interconnected.  This would be a different system. Seems this is a thing.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 04 May, 2022, 10:33:01 am »
Your thread title also mentions intruder alarms.  These are nothing to do with fire detection systems, and not interconnected.  This would be a different system.

The one at Fort Larrington does both, as well as producing an intriguing series of random blinkenlights to aid navigation to the bathroom in the wee smalls.  Switching these off requires such arcane skills that no-one has yet managed it.  Not even the service techs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 04 May, 2022, 12:40:33 pm »
I think it's relatively common for monitored intruder alarm systems to be able to communicate with a fire alarm, if only with a dry-contact input.  No doubt you can get more integrated solutions from the same supplier.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 04 May, 2022, 02:14:31 pm »
Our system from https://www.actexcel.com was/is not cheap.

We have CCTV cameras at strategic points, door detectors, smoke detectors upstairs & down stairs and a CO detector in the kitchen. I also have a panic button/pendant.

All the peripherals feed into a central control panel via radio connections and we have key fobs to act remotely.
The control panel is hard wired to our landline and also has a GSM phone link to the Monitoring Station.

We paid for installation and for servicing and monitoring…

All singing, dancing &spying...

« Reply #31 on: 04 May, 2022, 08:24:58 pm »
The thread title mentions intruder alarms, but is from 2008. I’m just using an old thread and more concerned with fire than scrotes. But thanks for the comments.

I do, indeed, not fancy running extra wires.

The current layout is in the utility area (which is the room all others connect off on that floor) on ground; kitchen on 1st which has a no door doorway to the lounge; and landing on 2nd.