Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163986 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14600 on: 23 May, 2020, 02:12:38 pm »
Sharpening gouges.  Boring.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14601 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:46:02 pm »
Fettled my daughter's 'Henry hoover' back into working order, by removing the speed control PCB and associated wiring - the speed control switch and/or PCB had borked, and the easiest fix is to just connect the motor to the main on/off switch and only have it full speed.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14602 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:26:58 pm »
Molished a shallow 5U rack out of nearly all the 12mm plywood that was in the shed, with a view to the downstairs ethernet switch and associated gubbins not falling on my head whenever I go groping in the Cupboard Of Doom for bike tyres or hoover accessories.

That plywood was in the shed for a reason, namely being the wonky bits left over from the last woodjbex project, and one of the corners had got damp.  As such, all the assuming-the-wood-is-flat measurement errors added up to a couple of pretty shoddy corners, but it's not like it has to look pretty.  Ideally I'd filler the worst bits and slather it in black Hammerite, but I have neither wood filler nor Hammerite.

Need to do a bit more sanding, improve the countersinking on a couple of screws, install the rack rails and dig up a 4-way to screw to the back, but I'm leaving that till tomorrow.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14603 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »
Started rebuilding the sparkly kermit Disc Trucker. Headset, mudguards, rack (I were reet glad of the 8mm Wera Joker ratchet spanner purchase for that), wheels on. While it was all stripped down took the chainset to bits and eventually Pingu managed to get the recalciltrant pedal off.
Looks like a bike now, just needs gears and brakes & chain all connecting up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14604 on: 24 May, 2020, 09:44:25 pm »
In the lockdown I have been buying tools from Screwfix and getting on with those DIY/garden jobs I have been putting off for... erm... 8 years...

Bought an angle grinder and have sharpened my pick and mattock. They are lovely, sharp and shiny now.

I just need the council to empty my brown bin of garden waste so I can continue on with decimating 8 years of weed grown in the borders... :-)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #14605 on: 24 May, 2020, 10:27:31 pm »
Fettled my daughter's steel shed doors, by replacing the plastic runners with scrap aluminium extrusions (ex roller whiteboard joining/pulling strips).  :smug:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14606 on: 24 May, 2020, 10:29:36 pm »
Connected the brakes & gears up. Come 3pm we were still fettling the gears & gave up for the day.

« Reply #14607 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:45:17 am »
I've had some unused Campag Skeleton brake calipers in one of my spares boxes for a few years now,
so decided to fit them to my Dolan Dual.

Campagnolo Skeleton Dual Pivot Brake Calipers - Silver  - Click to view a larger image

« Reply #14608 on: 25 May, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »
Eldest wanted a pannier rack. Her bike with a 20" wheel doesn't have rack mounts but does have bolt hole for a mech protector and one on other side. Cut down an old rack I had drilled holes in the legs as the correct position was where the legs goes from two tubes to one. Then used the saddle clamp bolt to hold a modified bracket for the top of rack. She's happy although I did have to try and stop her carrying her sister who isn't much smaller then here on the back

Dave_C

« Reply #14609 on: 25 May, 2020, 07:30:27 pm »
Managed to get the square taper BB off my galaxy. Also got the fork race and headtube races, it has a quill stem.

So now the frame is stripped, I am sending it to be stripped and resprayed. Do the masses suggest leaving old hex bolts in the frame to keep the threads clean? And what should I do about the Bottom bracket shell? I assume if I take it off, it will just be blasted off when they clean the frame for paint and rust?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14610 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:06:07 pm »
Managed to get the square taper BB off my galaxy. Also got the fork race and headtube races, it has a quill stem.

So now the frame is stripped, I am sending it to be stripped and resprayed. Do the masses suggest leaving old hex bolts in the frame to keep the threads clean? And what should I do about the Bottom bracket shell? I assume if I take it off, it will just be blasted off when they clean the frame for paint and rust?

Rob said it all upthread

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1241.msg2499569#msg2499569

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14611 on: 25 May, 2020, 08:31:40 pm »
Replaced the chain and jockey wheels on the Roubaix. The jockey wheels removed were a bit lot graunchy.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14612 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:16:05 pm »
Pingu helped finish this off today.

IMG_6096_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #14613 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:23:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:

How does it ride?

I've been doing some essential fettling on my Surly - replaced the knackered BB and the rear brake cable run. Might need to look at the rotors, they're still dragging, and the rear tyre needs re-fitting, there's a massive dip in it which is really noticeable and annoying.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14614 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
It felt a bit funny in an unspecified manner when I took it round the block earlier. I'm hoping that's just because I've been riding the Roberts for a while. Didn't help I had the saddle set for a dwarf either. No doubt Pingu will report back if I ride it into the river tomorrow....

« Reply #14615 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:04:06 pm »
Fettled the drive pulley from the original mains motor onto the 24 Volt motor I am now using for the mini lathe, made some new heat=weld drive belts, and turned piece of aluminium bar with it.  :thumbsup:

I want to get my Drummond lathe running, and spent some time working out how to get a 'skip find' MEM Memota series 6 motor starter tested and working to run a single-phase motor for the lathe, as it will be a bit safer than pulling the 13A plug in & out.  :o  These have an electromagnet that closes a number of contacts, including contacts for the electromagnet so that it releases if the supply is cut. It also has an adjustable current cutout. There isn't clear info online, and the instruction label isn't easy to follow, so I got a multimeter and worked it out. It had some jumpers on some of the contacts and I realised these needed to be removed. I wired it to a 13A plug and socket to test it out, and it works fine. These are supposed to be more reliable than the newer versions, and at about £60 in value, it was a good skip find.  :smug:

I just need to design & make a suitable bracket to mount it to the lathe stand now, and make a pedal and linkage to operate the clutch...  :-\

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14616 on: 28 May, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »
Swapped the broken camera in my iPhone 6S for the working camera from my wife’s old 6S. Very satisfying. And not nearly as difficult a job as I was expecting. Even managed to avoid losing any of the tiny pingfuckit screws.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14617 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:35:44 am »
Put yet another coat of oil on my plane handle.

« Reply #14618 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:41:21 am »
New freezer door hinges. £15 each FFS.
Rust never sleeps

Dave_C

« Reply #14619 on: 29 May, 2020, 11:44:25 am »
Watered the pots in my garden, potted up some wild growing chives, and a cutting off the yellow rose (called Texas)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14620 on: 30 May, 2020, 08:59:16 am »
Doing a fork swap on the Bob Griffin.  The original fork is Raleigh threaded  :sick: and the frame is reamed to ISO, so it gas a frankenheadset with the top cup shimmed.  It'll just be ISO after this.  Fork needs cutting to length but is chrome so doesn't need painting.  £15 from a guy on Retrobike.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14621 on: 30 May, 2020, 10:33:49 am »
Fitted handle, put plane back together and set about tidying up the bench.  What with off-cuts, screwdrivers, scribers, French curves, bevel, sliding square, 20 cm rule, sander, discs, 600-grit paper, pencils, oil bottle, wax can, cloths, etc. by the end of the job I was working in about a dozen square inches in one corner and on top of the vice.  Oh aye, bike was leaning against bench as well.

Next job of Earth-shattering magnitude will be drilling weep-holes in the bottom of the soap-dish in the shower. Should add about a week to the life of each bar.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14622 on: 30 May, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »
Fettled my daughter's 'Henry hoover' back into working order, by removing the speed control PCB and associated wiring - the speed control switch and/or PCB had borked, and the easiest fix is to just connect the motor to the main on/off switch and only have it full speed.

There is a way to repair the board cheaply if you want to keep the two speed nature on the henry.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14623 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:07:25 am »
Finally went back to fettling the quick release wheels spindles on two different sets of wheels.

Did a front wheel, but still not happy as there is play once compressed, did another rear and that was easy, so went to the other bike wheels and wasn't happy so opened up the hub and I didn't regrease it.  So regreased the hub and had a play looks sorted now.  So to go back to the other wheel.  At least I have marine wheel bearing grease to repack with.

Had a play with gearshifters and the rear is borked, now to find a replacement.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14624 on: 31 May, 2020, 10:01:05 am »
After leaving it in the garage for a suitable length of time (circa 9 months) I have finally fitted the R8000 11-32 cassette to the Renegade.

No extra chain needed, just a tweak of the cable adjuster.

Hopefully this will dissuade me from the thought that I need to swap to a GRX gear set.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State