Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225743 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1200 on: 06 March, 2020, 02:23:04 pm »
As noted by pcolbeck, Ms Fish on fine form last night too.  Her four-string cigar box guitar is the most evil-sounding example of the species I think I've ever heard.
Oh yeah, she's good, isn't she?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1201 on: 12 March, 2020, 10:30:39 am »
Explosions in the sky were on good form last night.  Not the best I've seen them, but still very much enjoyed the night.
All-seated concert @ glasgow royal concert hall:  It felt like everyone in the central 20 seats got up to the toilets and/or bar about 10 fukkin times tho

Saw them in Bexhill-on-Sea.  Going to see the support - A.A.Williams tonight in her only headline show.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1202 on: 15 March, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »
Spent much of yesterday hitting F5 on Nells' webby SCIENCE but Joanne Shaw Taylor's gig was not virused into oblivion, praise be!  New rhythm section; only ex-King King Hammond-botherer Rob the Dutchman left from last time.  She played the whole "Reckless Heart" album followed by a handful of songs voted for online by We The Audience and was, as usual, ’kin wonderful.

Support from a small woman with a medium-sized guitar and a huge voice, who I think is called Sonia Lee.  The singer, not her voice.  She's from Nashville.  "I'm goin' home tomorrow!" she proclaimed.  "Oh no you're not!" we chorused.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1203 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:35:18 pm »
I've spent much of this afternoon as a 6 hour-long online gig with Carsie Blanton https://www.facebook.com/carsieblanton/videos/668195710585449/

She's one of my absolute favourites at the moment.  And she did an Anais Mitchell number because I requested it, and Joe gave the SmallestCub a 10 minute bass tutorial because I asked if there was any chance of getting the bass parts for two songs so he can learn them :D

They've raised the band's rent money for the month, a fair bit towards recording the next album and a wodge for some of the charity/Not for Profit/3rd sector organisations that she was going to be featuring and supporting on her (cancelled) tour.

« Reply #1204 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:47:53 pm »
David Byrne at the Hydro in glasgow. What a fantastic show, the dance and music were excellent, and made it a gig unlike any I've been to before. 11 musicians on stage with DB, each of them either with their own instrument or were singing and dancing. If you go, make sure you get a good view of the stage, sadly at the Hydro the seating wasn't tiered and there was lots of very tall folks in as ever.  The big screens don't capture the big picture of the whole stage.

A very different show from the techno lights/screen spectacular which is more the norm. The atmosphere was the best I've felt in the Hydro.
Top marks, and strongly recommended.

David Byrne at the Hydro by sg310, on Flickr

Bought the DVD of this and we watched it tonight. Loved it.  You do miss being able to concentrate on 1 person, but its still a superb show.  The dancing and choreography are the best I've seen.  "David Byrne's American Utopia"

A nice bonus is the cycling scene at the end where the cast go on a ride around NY.

« Reply #1205 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:52:58 pm »
Otway at the Launderette in Durham.

Damn, 11 bloody months ago :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1206 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:03:12 pm »
Graham Gouldman.

A fun evening through 50 years or so of popular songs..

It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1207 on: 02 October, 2021, 12:09:58 am »
Don Letts.

Legend.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1208 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:54:44 pm »
David Byrne at the Hydro in glasgow. What a fantastic show, the dance and music were excellent, and made it a gig unlike any I've been to before. 11 musicians on stage with DB, each of them either with their own instrument or were singing and dancing. If you go, make sure you get a good view of the stage, sadly at the Hydro the seating wasn't tiered and there was lots of very tall folks in as ever.  The big screens don't capture the big picture of the whole stage.

A very different show from the techno lights/screen spectacular which is more the norm. The atmosphere was the best I've felt in the Hydro.
Top marks, and strongly recommended.

David Byrne at the Hydro by sg310, on Flickr

Bought the DVD of this and we watched it tonight. Loved it.  You do miss being able to concentrate on 1 person, but its still a superb show.  The dancing and choreography are the best I've seen.  "David Byrne's American Utopia"

A nice bonus is the cycling scene at the end where the cast go on a ride around NY.

That seems like a long time ago, on a different planet.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1209 on: 08 October, 2021, 12:21:39 am »
Grace Petrie.

Focussed on fund-raising for the local Food Bank.

« Reply #1210 on: 09 October, 2021, 04:17:46 pm »
Went to see Genesis a fortnight ago in Manchester - they were excellent.

My parents have got tix to see them at the O2 next week, but that's been postponed yet again cos COVID.  At least they hadn't yet bought their rail tickets.  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1211 on: 10 October, 2021, 12:29:17 am »
The Magic Numbers.

Which was nice.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1212 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:20:26 am »
The Shires.

Very, very good!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1213 on: 13 October, 2021, 10:30:02 am »
Jaded, do you do the gig photography thing professionally? If not, it's uncanny how you always seem to get such a good vantage point - and the pics are excellent!

Last gig I went to was Squid at Printworks in Rotherhithe. It was incredible - they are such a tight live band. They've put a clip on YouTube of one of the songs - if you watch carefully, you can catch a brief glimpse of me and the boy bopping at the front at 1m29s:
https://youtu.be/qn9vPM9Q6bU
(this is possibly one for the tenuous claims to fame thread)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1214 on: 13 October, 2021, 02:36:13 pm »
Ah, thanks!

Well, I'm now the house 'tog at a local venue, but there isn't a pit, so I have to choose my vantage points. Usually there's no issue - it's quite easy, and I generally have to stick the the three song rule, so quick observation and working to capture what the artists are doing. The Magic Numbers was different - almost no room at the front and I had to use guile, cunning, surprise and ruthless efficiency  ;D

Always been interested in gig photography, and love it...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1215 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:40:06 pm »
Graham Gouldman.

A fun evening through 50 years or so of popular songs..

Went to this show at the gorgeous Union Chapel in Islington last week. Very impressed with both him and his accompanying musicians - some of the vocal harmonies were superb and Gouldman's own voice is in better shape than several others of his age that I could mention.

The only downer was the choice of Dreadlock Holiday as an encore. Hated it when it came out and it hasn't improved with time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #1216 on: 15 October, 2021, 07:41:41 am »
Pizzagirl at the Lexington.  Upcoming indie pop-rock combo with good mix of live (3 piece) and b. tracks.  Very entertaining and first gig since early 2020.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1217 on: 17 October, 2021, 05:31:17 pm »
Henge

Completely bonkers, and very watchable, with great music.

« Reply #1218 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:24:24 pm »
Drat, missed them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1219 on: 18 October, 2021, 12:26:39 am »
Fairport Convention

Quite astounding quality of sound, the clarity of the instruments and the separation was brilliant. The d&b sound system a level above the usual.

The group have clearly been affected by the pandemic, and were really enjoying being out performing again. However they didn't want the audience singing, nor did they do a signing session at the end, to reduce their risk of COVID.

Simon Nichol

Being of advanced years, they didn't leave the stage before the encore - they hid behind their instruments instead.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1220 on: 19 October, 2021, 01:24:02 am »
The Waterboys.

Cannot believe I haven't seen them before. Mike Scott rallied the troops, to produce a memorable gig, there are quite a few photos, but this is what I can show...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1221 on: 22 October, 2021, 12:10:05 am »
Rory McLeod at the Green Note in Camden.  Well up to par in spite of being only his second gig since the Coronalurgi arrived in town.  The rest of the “tour” is Southampton and Middlesbrough, so do pop along if you’re in da 'hood and fancy being entertained by a left-leaning guitar/harmonica/spoons-toting folkie whose mouth frequently can’t keep up with his head-branez, leading to him saying “Anyway…” a lot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1222 on: 24 October, 2021, 08:17:07 am »

Waldo's Gift last night. 90 minutes of angry music.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1223 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:36:32 am »
KT Tunstall. One of her few headline shows this year. Recounted what has happened with her ear, and that she has been learning new sign language with her brother. Some of you might know what she is signing...

« Reply #1224 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:40:01 pm »
Caribou at the O2 in Leeds. Excellent stuff, a bit like Orbital with drum solos.