Author Topic: Adding graphics memory to laptop  (Read 852 times)

Adding graphics memory to laptop
« on: 11 December, 2020, 04:38:40 pm »
Is this possible? I’m looking at a laptop to run Zwift etc on, as the current 13” laptop plus TV combo has some drawbacks, not least bench real estate in the shed where I use it. There’s a suitably cheap (cosmetically damaged ex-display)  17” laptop on eBay, but the graphics memory is unspecified. The manufacturers spec for the graphics card (NVidia GeForce 940MX) is a maximum of 2GB, which is probably the minimum I’d want for the application. So, if I buy this laptop, is there any way of increasing the RAM if need be? I have messaged the seller (twice now) with no success.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Adding graphics memory to laptop
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2020, 04:46:41 pm »
Zwift runs fine on my 2015 laptop with integrated Intel graphics (i.e. no actual graphics memory). It is not a demanding 3D app at all.

Upgradable graphics memory is extremely rare.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2020, 04:51:20 pm »
Don't go too old school - Zwift won't run on 32 bit Windows.

« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2020, 05:04:47 pm »
It’ll be win10, so no problem there. I guess I should see if I can find out what the old machine I have has on it. As it was a business machine I doubt it’s got anything special graphics-wise. And a bit of Googling seems to indicate the answer to my original question is “No”. Graphics cards for laptops are what they ship with and are soldered to the motherboard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »
If it's integrated graphics, it will share with the rest of your RAM. Usually can set in the BIOS how much memory to allocate to the graphics card.

And make sure you can add enough RAM.