Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338728 times)

Davef

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #975 on: 15 May, 2020, 07:43:41 am »
“marking as impossible” and “heat map”.  I may have been exploring new routes since February, but clearly not explored the website fully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #976 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:45:17 am »
That's from the rideeverytile.com website, not veloviewer itself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #977 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:06:12 am »
Someone has taken photos from the track leading through that impossible unlikely square  https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/656646  Possibly military, looking at the date - when ranges closed to public.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #978 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:25:35 am »
I reckon that this is the bit of the track that you need to get to to just nibble into that square.  There seems to be an awful lot of strange crater-like features if you zoom in a bit!

« Reply #979 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:30:57 am »
Ideally the truly impossible squares (like RAF Lakenheath) get marked as impossible within Veloviewer itself and therefore don't interrupt max squares for people who just happen to live near them.

« Reply #980 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:53:50 am »
Ideally the truly impossible squares (like RAF Lakenheath) get marked as impossible within Veloviewer itself and therefore don't interrupt max squares for people who just happen to live near them.

RAF Lakenheath have base tours twice a month, in normal times. Would that not be an opportunity to acquire the problematic square(s) there? Just a suggestion, as I have not looked at where the squares line up.

Re marking squares as impossible, that sounds like a good idea.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #981 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:11:36 pm »

RAF Lakenheath have base tours twice a month, in normal times. Would that not be an opportunity to acquire the problematic square(s) there? Just a suggestion, as I have not looked at where the squares line up.

Re marking squares as impossible, that sounds like a good idea.

Why wait for an open day? I've a daring idea for you. A few years ago CND were protesting there, me and my buddy threw a carpet over the razor wire, climbed in and had the run of the place for several hours. When we were spotted the American MPs were so unfit they couldn't catch us. We gave ourselves up when we got bored and hungry.

You're as fit as a whippet off you go.

« Reply #982 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:17:27 pm »
If people are allowed to collect tiles in canoes I don't see why I shouldn't use my glider to bag the 'impossible' Lakenheath tile.  I need to look through my .IGC files and get uploading to Strava  ;)

« Reply #983 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:24:13 pm »
If people are allowed to collect tiles in canoes I don't see why I shouldn't use my glider to bag the 'impossible' Lakenheath tile.  I need to look through my .IGC files and get uploading to Strava  ;)

Gliders need non-human power to get them into the air thobut.

« Reply #984 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:38:46 pm »
Not always:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-EeuEi-KY

Although I confess that I have never had a bungee launch.

« Reply #985 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:48:30 pm »
Interesting, but I don't think it would quite be in the spirit of the competition anyway. (And the other humans providing some initial power might disqualify it too.)

Climbing to the top of a mountain (unaided of course) and wingsuit flying down (and over an otherwise inaccessible area) would be a similar conundrum.

« Reply #986 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:53:43 pm »
Why wait for an open day? I've a daring idea for you. A few years ago CND were protesting there, me and my buddy threw a carpet over the razor wire, climbed in and had the run of the place for several hours. When we were spotted the American MPs were so unfit they couldn't catch us. We gave ourselves up when we got bored and hungry.

You're as fit as a whippet off you go.

I've got quite some way to go before I need that square. Just checked, and I'm good up as far as 60x60 before I would need it. But others might be tempted sooner!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #987 on: 15 May, 2020, 02:07:36 pm »
Bollocks. There's one centred about here   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.0844/-0.6934 that I physically cannot get, given that I would prefer not to be shot.

According to https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap/8160x5331 , one person has got it ticked in on VeloViewer. Unfortunately but the ride itself now seems to be hidden or deleted on Strava. Maybe the extreme north-west of the tile is outside the danger zone?

That'll be my ride - linked to by the Rider 1 Link. My Strava profile is private so that may be why you can't see it.

The route I took was Highfield Drive and then there is a farm type track off diagonnaly left that will take you to the square. There is a footpath in to the square from this point as well but I didn't bother with it.

Look out for the red flags flying at the gate you get to - if they are the range is in use so best return another day.

I know of at least one other square hunter who has had that square for some time so not sure why I'm showing as the only one.

« Reply #988 on: 15 May, 2020, 02:11:33 pm »
Bollocks. There's one centred about here   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/53.0844/-0.6934 that I physically cannot get, given that I would prefer not to be shot.

According to https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap/8160x5331 , one person has got it ticked in on VeloViewer. Unfortunately but the ride itself now seems to be hidden or deleted on Strava. Maybe the extreme north-west of the tile is outside the danger zone?

That'll be my ride - linked to by the Rider 1 Link. My Strava profile is private so that may be why you can't see it.

The route I took was Highfield Drive and then there is a farm type track off diagonnaly left that will take you to the square. There is a footpath in to the square from this point as well but I didn't bother with it.

I know of at least one other square hunter who has had that square for some time so not sure why I'm showing as the only one.

At the moment it is only capturing data that has been 'public' in VeloViewer. Roughly ~half of tilers make their VV data public. 

« Reply #989 on: 15 May, 2020, 02:11:54 pm »
Struggled getting a tile yesterday that is basically just farm, no roads in it.
Ended up in the farmyard unable to get through a locked gate to the road, with no choice but to turn back across the bumpy fields. Was only a few hundred yards from Roseland business park, but no way through.
In the farmyard there were some goats and turkeys, but then there was a dead cow in a digger bucket. Disturbing.
Saw lots of hares though.
Hopefully there aren't many more like that.

I'm curious which square you were getting. I've got them all round there with little problem.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #990 on: 15 May, 2020, 02:57:28 pm »
13 new tiles today, increased the cluster by 20 to 950.

Davef

« Reply #991 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:09:25 pm »
That's from the rideeverytile.com website, not veloviewer itself.
Thanks I will take a look. Another whole website, I think this World Wide Web is going to take off.

Ben T

« Reply #992 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:17:31 pm »
Struggled getting a tile yesterday that is basically just farm, no roads in it.
Ended up in the farmyard unable to get through a locked gate to the road, with no choice but to turn back across the bumpy fields. Was only a few hundred yards from Roseland business park, but no way through.
In the farmyard there were some goats and turkeys, but then there was a dead cow in a digger bucket. Disturbing.
Saw lots of hares though.
Hopefully there aren't many more like that.

I'm curious which square you were getting. I've got them all round there with little problem.

https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap/8157x5340
Wasn't difficult to get it, but it was to do it using a loop rather than go back the way I came. (Which was bumpy, more bumpy than is comfortable for the non-suspension-forks of the halfords-bargain-basement-bin shitter.)
https://www.strava.com/activities/3436066107
I might just have failed to update but the one to the left didn't seem to have been recognised by a ride down Foston lane that clips the corner of it, so I tried to do a loop that does both of those.
Although looking back i could have just gone all the way down sewstern lane which comes out at bottesford lane allington, if I'd known the foston lane corner was enough of 8156x5340.

« Reply #993 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:50:55 am »
8156x5340 should have been covered by a your trip down Normanton Lane (Foston Lane?) - make sure that when you do a ride that you click on it in Veloviewer to get the definitive tile list from your ride. If you don't do this Veloviewer uses a summary of your ride data so it can miss or give you tiles incorrectly especially the ones that are only just clipped by your route.

Bottesford Road, Allington was the way I approached a couple of the squares in that area.

Veloviewer has an OS map layer that's very helpful, it would have given you confidence that you could get over the gate at the end of Highfield Drive and get the tile at the Beckingham Range. You can see that there is a public footpath so you have every right to be there (just not when the red flags are flying).

Enjoy your tile hunting.

Ben T

« Reply #994 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:44:09 am »
Thanks for that, got the rifle range one now https://veloviewer.com/athletes/7624706/activities/3456252487
Thanks for the tip about clicking on a ride, didn't realise that did anything other than highlight it but can see how it would.

« Reply #995 on: 16 May, 2020, 11:21:34 am »
Thanks for the tip about clicking on a ride, didn't realise that did anything other than highlight it but can see how it would.

If you go to the activities tab you'll see your activities list and a map if you've selected to view both. Scroll to the very right on the activities list and you'll see a column labelled 'Tiles Calculated' - it'll say 'Yes' for the ones that you've clicked on and these are the ones Veloviewer has analysed your ride data fully.

« Reply #996 on: 16 May, 2020, 11:32:41 am »
NB Clicking on a ride should credit you with tiles that you have been to but VeloViewer didn't register.  It may also uncredit you with tiles that you haven't been to but VeloViewer previously thought you had.  It is the 'right' thing to do though so I have laboriously clicked on all of my longer rides.

Davef

VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #997 on: 16 May, 2020, 01:08:30 pm »

I think my route this morning across the military firing range would have been hazardous if the flags were up.

« Reply #998 on: 18 May, 2020, 02:04:27 pm »
Another successful tile bagging trip has to my surprise taken me from 3 overlapping 11x11 squares to one 13x13. I thought I had a blocking square but not so.
I really ought to screenshot where I've got to but I get lazy and decide it is too much of a faff!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #999 on: 18 May, 2020, 02:09:04 pm »
Climbing to the top of a mountain (unaided of course) and wingsuit flying down (and over an otherwise inaccessible area) would be a similar conundrum.

Seems about at legit as cycling:  Human power, gravity, wind.