Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3887900 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1000 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:44:54 pm »
I managed to avoid most of the rain but it was quite breezy for my 2 x 20 interval session.  Endorphintastic now though :D :D :D

« Reply #1001 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:06:53 pm »
Thirty miles of utility cycling today in the wind and rain. Twenty two mile round trip to naturopath appointment and then 8ish mile round trip to local market town for shopping.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1002 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »
A wet walk on Two Tree Island this morning. Baby avocets, oystercatchers and common terns, and a wader we couldn't identify. A type of plover, I think, but we couldn't recognise the markings. It seemed to have a slightly yellowish tinge to the breast feathers where they disappear under the wings, but otherwise white breast feathers. No speckles.

I commuted in the car because I just didn't trust the weather - quite rightly as it turned out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vince

« Reply #1003 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
I got out 8)

34 miles this evening: Chesterfield - Barlow - Owler Bar - Fox House - Hathersage - Grindlow - Calver - Baslow - Beeley Moor - Chesterfield

A bit hilly, light rain at the end, but the views were smashing.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1004 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:52:43 am »
A 25 miler last night around Benthem ,Wray ,wennington Burton,Ingleton Newby then over to Clapham and home via Keasden .I managed not to get rained on which considering the regular nature of the heavy showers we have had around here lateley was quite pleasing.

« Reply #1005 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:58:03 pm »
Yep, went to Salisbury - then came back.  Went to the bike shop.  Spent money on Assos and other kit.  I like Assos.  Very very very well designed kit.  Just wish I could afford more.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1006 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »
Went off up to the Downs first thing this morning. Back for food then off to meet Mrs. J. for a whizz around the triathlon route she will be riding on the 20th. Caught the odd shower but otherwise a fine ride until I punctured.

Then two miles from home something slashed the side of my tyre. Limped home. Changed tyre then realised brakes needed doing, new blocks needed spacers but got them to fit in the end.

All good fun. Oh, also stabbed myself betwixt thumb and nail with Mrs. j's chainring, hurts like cr*p. Mrs. J. thinks that bicycles can only be cleaned and lubed by qualified engineers......lucky Mrs. J.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

annie

« Reply #1007 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:20:32 pm »
No, just a run and the gym :(

Went to the theatre tonight to see 'Working' a wonderful production.

« Reply #1008 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:20:42 am »
yes, and I got absolutely soaked.   :thumbsup:

I love cycling in the rain when it's only an hour till I'm in the shower getting lovely and warm :D

« Reply #1009 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:28:08 am »
Came to work on my bike, my Fixed actually, does that count ?

« Reply #1010 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:59:19 am »
Yes...

annie

« Reply #1011 on: 09 July, 2008, 12:48:14 pm »
Yes :)  out in the pouring rain (something I wouldn't do normally, unless I was already out) so a first.  The roads were awash with water.  I have never encountered so many dare devils drivers of 4 x 4's, WVM and HGV's in all my life, neither have I sworn so much in all my life, I was not invisible.  At one stage I thought my number was up but managed to ride into a driveway at the last minute.  My 20 mile outing turned into ten, 37 minutes of terrror.  My bike is going to be cleaned and put away.

« Reply #1012 on: 09 July, 2008, 12:56:34 pm »
Deep breaths Annie, and relax..............

annie

« Reply #1013 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:12:26 pm »
Deep breaths Annie, and relax..............

Thank you.  I went out into the garden in my wet cycling gear and flip flops and got even wetter, now feel much better.  Hot shower and hot coffee  will soon sort things out.  Still aghast at the behaviour though, even when a muppet reversed out of a space as i was cycling along the High Street and another guy overtook a vehicle and headed straight towards me.  I waved my hand in the air and looked at the two coppers sat in their parked vehicle, they just smiled.  It was their vehicle that was parked in front of the zebra crossing.

LEE

« Reply #1014 on: 09 July, 2008, 01:19:33 pm »
Yep, went to Salisbury - then came back.  Went to the bike shop.  Spent money on Assos and other kit.  I like Assos.  Very very very well designed kit.  Just wish I could afford more.

Stonehenge Cycles?  I'd like to at least try an Assos Intermediate Evo Jacket.  Expensive but would seem to suit October-April riding pretty well.

« Reply #1015 on: 09 July, 2008, 03:30:06 pm »
I've just been out for my first ride since doing the Bridge Too Far 600k at the weekend.
The weather is glorious so I grabbed a pool bike and wandered off around the area.

Riding without lycra or cycling shoes on a single speed bike with no brake levers (back pedal only) and the squashy gel saddle mounted at a jaunty angle, wind in the hair, freewheeling downhill with feet off the pedals in "Five go mad in Dorset" mode, stopping at one of our outlying offices to grab some water and a banana (there is free fruit at our offices over in Sweden!), pottering back via nice dedicated cycle routes. Lovely  :)

I really, really must get myself a half decent bike to use here.

« Reply #1016 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
Only about 4 miles today- too and from football in the park.
It proved to be good practise for Dunwich since it poured down.
Three French English language students joined us for the game and they did seem a little surprised that we carried on playing as the rain got steadily harder. We explained that if we didn't do things in Manchester when it rained, then we probably wouldn't do anything at all.
On the way back through the park a huge heron landed near me. For a non-twitcher it was a fabulous sight.
When I got home I was wetter than a wet thing stood in water.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow night's ride.

« Reply #1017 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:59:52 pm »
Did about 18 miles or so, fairly flat and quick - and very wet indeed.  I took the Pinarello and not even the rain could remove my big stupid grin.  However, some tart in a car soon fixed this after overtaking me and immediately turning left.  Much gesticulating followed, you know "Thank you for cutting me up." ::-)

« Reply #1018 on: 09 July, 2008, 11:02:52 pm »
I ran out to the shed and back.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1019 on: 10 July, 2008, 07:05:54 am »
I was out last night on the CTC Wednesday night run.

Came back with moistness.

H

« Reply #1020 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:14:10 am »
Yesterday was horrendously wet.
The drying room at work was not drying anything as the heater was on the blink.
There is not much worse than having to put on wet lycra after a day at work to cycle home in the rain.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1021 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:29:14 am »
I just went to meet a friend for pint, only a couple of miles away and the rain stopped just before I set off so I arrived dry. We spent a very pleasant hours sitting under a large umbrella designed for the smokers (it was too hot in the pub). During the course of the hour it went from light rain to torrential by the time we left. The ride home was just brilliant, rain bouncing off the road, light fading and a tailwind. I was beaming from ear to ear by the time I got home.  :)

vince

« Reply #1022 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »
Second time this week  :thumbsup:

20 miles of fairly steady spinning tonight after Monday's hilly ride and before the pastry encrusted delights of Saturday. Chesterfield - Tupton - Holmewood - Stainsby Mill - Ault Hucknall - Palterton - Heath - Chesterfield. The rain held off too :)

« Reply #1023 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:10:55 pm »
2nd chaingang ever. To Kirkby Lonsdale and back to Lancaster on the A683. I am rather pleased to have lasted much longer than on my first ride. 24mph average.

« Reply #1024 on: 10 July, 2008, 09:51:30 pm »
Long ride out, over the downs at Arundel and onto the wilds of Sussex. Saddle started creaking so stopped at South Down Cycles in Storrington. Martin who runs it is as mad as a barrel of monkeys, but quite affable. Sorted, across country to Steyning for lunch. Climbed Bostal Hill with a cream soda float inside me (mmmmm). Down into Worthing and then into the wind all the way home (should have gone into Hampshire). First day this week without mudguards, hooray...