Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 122604 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #275 on: 17 April, 2020, 02:45:41 pm »
Anybody who enjoys the intersection of motorbikes and fine workmanship will enjoy Allen Millyard's channel (if they're not already watching it)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4hbNBjmdvXONmcxcLSNhg

I haven't seen anything more complicated than a hydraulic press - and that was for turning two four cylinder crankshafts into a six cylinder one.

That Velocette V-twin he has made out of two single engines is a thing of beauty.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #276 on: 17 April, 2020, 03:14:32 pm »
...... installed a couple of the new-fangled LED batten lights in my workshop yesterday - it's as bright as an operating theatre!

Ooh do tell I need more light. Which ones did you go for?

Screwfix - 2 x LAP Twin 4ft LED Batten White 43W 4400lm (364CC)   - £30 each - I just have two mounted lengthwise in the centre of a single garage - about 4 feet apart - light is enough for working at either of the two rows of benching along either long wall.

They're fine BUT the connector for the juice is rubbish being a sort of "bare wire and clamp" mechanism - I chopped them off and justr fitted a simple screwed nylon terminal block in each one.   Fitting to the joists was a doddle to with some U-shaped clips that they just op into.   5 stars from me.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #277 on: 17 April, 2020, 04:22:07 pm »
Anybody who enjoys the intersection of motorbikes and fine workmanship will enjoy Allen Millyard's channel (if they're not already watching it)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4hbNBjmdvXONmcxcLSNhg

I haven't seen anything more complicated than a hydraulic press - and that was for turning two four cylinder crankshafts into a six cylinder one.

That Velocette V-twin he has made out of two single engines is a thing of beauty.

Isn't everything he makes? I've had a look at some of them close up and the workmanship is amazing. As Eric used to say "you can't see the join"
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #278 on: 19 April, 2020, 11:55:20 am »
...... installed a couple of the new-fangled LED batten lights in my workshop yesterday - it's as bright as an operating theatre!

Ooh do tell I need more light. Which ones did you go for?

Screwfix - 2 x LAP Twin 4ft LED Batten White 43W 4400lm (364CC)   - £30 each - I just have two mounted lengthwise in the centre of a single garage - about 4 feet apart - light is enough for working at either of the two rows of benching along either long wall.

They're fine BUT the connector for the juice is rubbish being a sort of "bare wire and clamp" mechanism - I chopped them off and justr fitted a simple screwed nylon terminal block in each one.   Fitting to the joists was a doddle to with some U-shaped clips that they just op into.   5 stars from me.

Thanks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #279 on: 19 April, 2020, 01:52:22 pm »
Been stamping round the workshop swearing for the last couple of days because I needed hinges to go on building my router table and the DIY shops are locked down. Then this morning I did a bit of archaeology, and found 10 in a biscuit-box that had been stashed in a corner and forgotten when we moved here 30 years ago. They're a bit rusty, but who cares for something utilitarian: they work.

Other stuff in the box was a bunch of Ikea-style fixings of the sort that you save after the cupboard or whatever is no longer serviceable. Save, but never use.  I have a lot of stuff like that, including a set of brass-cup drawer pulls that my father never used either.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

« Reply #280 on: 19 April, 2020, 09:57:05 pm »
Been stamping round the workshop swearing for the last couple of days because I needed hinges to go on building my router table and the DIY shops are locked down. Then this morning I did a bit of archaeology, and found 10 in a biscuit-box that had been stashed in a corner and forgotten when we moved here 30 years ago. They're a bit rusty, but who cares for something utilitarian: they work.

Other stuff in the box was a bunch of Ikea-style fixings of the sort that you save after the cupboard or whatever is no longer serviceable. Save, but never use.  I have a lot of stuff like that, including a set of brass-cup drawer pulls that my father never used either.

Be interested to see how you're building a router table ..... I'm about to make one - the idea being that I can somehow mount the table (without the router attached) on an existing bench or flipcart to save space.  What material are you using for the actual table?

Rob

« Reply #281 on: 20 April, 2020, 05:30:31 am »
I'm looking at this as well along with a table saw. A lot of the videos on YouTube use a table saw and router (and possibly a planer thicknesser as well) to build a table saw and router which is typical of a lot of the US stuff on their. Look its easy and cheap to make this - provided you have $50,000 of kit in your massive workshop already. There are a few that start out with nothing but a hand held circular saw and router.
I think I will end up making a ghetto table saw and router and use those to build better ones.

« Reply #282 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:04:49 am »
Just so you know it exists, this Wolfcraft table does a good job at converting your circular saw, router, jigsaw into a bench unit for occasional use, and folds away (visible in THAT video @ 3:09, behind the sheet of Useful Ply, to the right of the 8" grinder, left of the chuck-it-all-on rack.)

Although the legs are relatively flimsy, the work table is solid and the guides reasonably accurate, they can be firmed up with a clamp. If you have room (!) for a permanent bench then that would be much better, but I have used it successfully over the years to do things like creating 6m of a simulacrum of Victorian architrave mouldings, rebatting for picture frames and the like.

robgul

« Reply #283 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:40:58 am »
I'm looking at this as well along with a table saw. A lot of the videos on YouTube use a table saw and router (and possibly a planer thicknesser as well) to build a table saw and router which is typical of a lot of the US stuff on their. Look its easy and cheap to make this - provided you have $50,000 of kit in your massive workshop already. There are a few that start out with nothing but a hand held circular saw and router.
I think I will end up making a ghetto table saw and router and use those to build better ones.

If you've not seen him - have a look at Steve Ramsey on Youtube.  He's pretty down-to-earth on machines and realistic with expenditure . . . I find him quite entertaining too.  Pretty sure he has a couple of videos aimed at the starting-out level with tools etc.

I started out many, many years ago with a Black & Decker drill that you could attach accessories to : circular saw, jigsaw, sander, hedge trimmer . . .   OK at the time but over the intervening years I've bought dedicated machines for those tasks + a table saw, router (2!), multitool, Dremel, mitre saw, bandsaw.  I don't know why I have 4 electric drills - 2 corded, 2 battery????   Space is an issue as I have an almost LBS level cycle workshop side of the garage too!

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #284 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:45:00 am »
I'm still mulling over design.  The top is a 100 x 50 cm x 22 mm sheet of hardwood ply with an alu plate set into it, but beyond that I haven't quite decided how to mount it.  I can either (1) screw it on top of one of my benches with the router hanging down in front and one of the face vices wound all the way out to support one side of the overhang, and maybe another leg to hold up the other, or (2) I can hinge it onto the front of the trolley I built a couple of years ago to accommodate my bench sanders.

1) is simple and fast, and puts it within easy reach of the dust extraction hose, but means that the drawer under the bench, which holds sundry drawing kit, calculator and a few other useful odds & sods, will be inaccessible while it's mounted.

2) is harder. It needs two relatively sturdy hinged legs that will fold away when the table is collapsed but will lock firmly in place when it's in use.  The advantage is that being already on castors I can put it anywhere in the workshop, and even use the sanders with the router deployed.  The disadvantages are that getting the extractor hose to it won't always be as easy, and while one of the sanders works beautifully with the extractor, the other one (belt) puts dust everywhere but the extractor port; so if I use it while the router table is folded down with the router in, the latter will be covered in dust, which could easily be metal.  I'd probably need to enclose the router, or panel three sides of trolley, to protect it.

I'm leaning towards (2) just now - lockdown occupational therapy - but stock to make the legs is a bit of a problem: most of what I have is far too good and the rest is weird-shaped offcuts or MDF, which I hate.  I don't have any of those locking arms you get on folding tables, either, short of cannibalizing something else.

@Ham, thanks for the suggestion.  I was looking at the Triton table too, but I rather overstretched the tool budget in the last couple of years and MrsT's eyebrows are very expressive.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #285 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:48:14 am »
I started out many, many years ago with a Black & Decker drill that you could attach accessories to : circular saw, jigsaw, sander, hedge trimmer . . .

Still got mine (1969 vintage) and it still works, though God help anyone who still listens to AM radio when it's running:

« Reply #286 on: 20 April, 2020, 01:55:33 pm »
I went a bit OCD this autumn, inspired by the ToolboxWars stuff on Cycling Tips. CNC machined foam inserts!
Nice old computer box:
IMG_20190831_102954 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
Filled with foam and tools:

IMG_20190831_103005 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

In layers that you can remove.
IMG_20190831_103020 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

I think I even bought the Park tools hammer for this box because I knew it needed a hammer and I didn't want to mess up the foam with a cutout of something rubbish! The Wera allen keys are just awesome.
I can probably stick a couple of thin things underneath the bottom layer, but if I decide I need anything significant, I'm going to have to rethink the whole packing strategy. I'm wondering about the lack of scissors/shears/knife. It's a bit fixie focused, hence the 15mm spanner and regular crank puller.

« Reply #287 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:51:25 pm »
Does your fixie generate hideous amounts of static that necessitates fettling it wit those Wera VDE compliment screwdrivers?

Lovely storage execution BTW.

« Reply #288 on: 21 April, 2020, 11:26:54 am »
Does your fixie generate hideous amounts of static that necessitates fettling it wit those Were VDE compliment screwdrivers?
No, I just needed some new screwdrivers to go in there, and the Wera ones shouted buy me loudest!  ;)

« Reply #289 on: 22 April, 2020, 03:50:41 pm »
Mum's been moaning that her lawn has become overgrown - the person who normally trims it is, understandably, keeping socially distant.
Mum's accustomed to having the lawn looking smoother than a  snooker table.
I've tried to reassure her that she shouldn't worry about it, and that when all this is over, I'll come over and hand cut it to a height that the mower can deal with it.

To that effect, I've just taken delivery of a Japanese sickle.
Jeezus, that thing is sharp  :o.
However, having given it a swift test drive on my lawn (5m x 5m) I think it'd be fine, but not on a lawn the size of my Mum's (With Mum's lawn you need binoculars to recognise anyone standing at the far end of it).

So I've ordered a scythe.

I'm resisting the temptation to see if I can also score a long, dark hooded gown on eBay.
So I could then don the gown, grab my scythe and nip down the road to sit beside the South Circular.
That'd make a few more people stay at home, wouldn't it?
Public service, and all that.

« Reply #290 on: 22 April, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »
We want pics !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #291 on: 22 April, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
We want pics !
My police officer niece has advised me that if I did this I'd most definitely run the risk of being arrested.
Going equipped.
To mow lawns. ;D

ETA - Am I alone in thinking that it is a bit bizarre that it is possible to pick up a Bosch electric lawn mower, for 2/3s of the cost of  a scythe?

« Reply #292 on: 22 April, 2020, 07:42:06 pm »
I've just ordered the Cyclus tools for removing Campagnolo bearing cups. Should be interesting...
I enjoyed that. One front hub with one new bearing cup, two new cones and (obviously) new bearings. Basically a 15-year-old hub fully reconditioned and ready for more decades. You still can't quite beat Campagnolo for spares availability - other brands offer cones, but not necessarily cups.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #293 on: 26 April, 2020, 03:30:13 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #294 on: 28 April, 2020, 12:48:26 pm »
For verily I didst buy myself an Elementary Screwdriver No 1 for Christmas

https://tinkerandfix.co.uk/collections/elementary-screwdrivers

And the Lord declared that it was a Very Nice Thing Indeed.
First used in anger yesterday as I want to keep it looking nice. I may revise this policy.

« Reply #295 on: 28 April, 2020, 07:59:09 pm »
For verily I didst buy myself an Elementary Screwdriver No 1 for Christmas

https://tinkerandfix.co.uk/collections/elementary-screwdrivers

And the Lord declared that it was a Very Nice Thing Indeed.
First used in anger yesterday as I want to keep it looking nice. I may revise this policy.

Ooh that's nice.

« Reply #296 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:04:41 pm »
Everyone needs a prodder. You know a nice big screwdriver for prodding stuff you really don't want to touch yourself as its either very dirty or too close to dangerous whirly bits.

So here is a nice one I picked up at a car boot sale last year for 50p.

It's a nice Stanley 25c, about 40cm long. Probably about 50 years old and someone has definitely been using it as a paint can opener.

Let see what we can do to make it look a bit better.

Shaft wire wheeled and polished. Handle scrapped and sanded:

Two coats of vinyl black, two of gloss red and two of clear coat:

Tip re-profiled:

I love the art deco ferules on Stanley's of this era:

Strangely here it is alongside another 25c that's a completely different size.

And now its finished it takes its place in the temple of screwdrivers:

« Reply #297 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:07:40 pm »
I'm a little concerned you don't have enough claw hammers there.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #298 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:16:02 pm »
Everyone needs a prodder. You know a nice bug screwdriver for prodding stuff you really don't want to touch yourself as its either very dirty or too close to dangerous whirly bits.

Can I add a few thousand volts worth of insulation to that specification?  (DAHIKT)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #299 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:17:13 pm »
I'm a little concerned you don't have enough claw hammers there.

Presumably most of them began life as tape measures.