Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575806 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #475 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
It's certainly got a pretty unusual collection of GSM/3G antenna directions.  And some TETRA :)

I predicted that would happen.  (Image was the 1937 photo of the Alexandra Palace mast when I grumbled.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #476 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »
It's certainly got a pretty unusual collection of GSM/3G antenna directions.  And some TETRA :)

I predicted that would happen.  (Image was the 1937 photo of the Alexandra Palace mast when I grumbled.)

That's why I said you should have screenshotted it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #477 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »
That would have been a bit nerdy.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #478 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »
That would have been a bit nerdy.

Cos knowing one kind of "aerial shaped thing" from "another aerial shaped thing" isn't nerdy?

And indeed knowing it's not just the wrong aerial but which wrong 1937 aerial it is?  :-*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #479 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
You want the iconic transmitter?  You can't handle the iconic transmitter!
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #480 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »
Fear not, I bored barakta at length about Emley Moor and its history when we lived in the People's Republic.  The route over the A628 to The Wet Place is a mast-spotter's delight.  I should really do that by bike at some point, though I anticipate serious grimping.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #481 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:04:34 pm »
It's amazing.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #482 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:06:42 pm »
Iconic masts, eh? I had anticiapated something like the SS Great Britain! But I have to admit that Emley Moor, erm, towery thing is strangely attractive in an ugly, once-this-was-the-bright-future, see-how-we-have-dreamed, way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #483 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »
Fear not, I bored barakta at length about Emley Moor and its history when we lived in the People's Republic.  The route over the A628 to The Wet Place is a mast-spotter's delight.  I should really do that by bike at some point, though I anticipate serious grimping.
Many years ago, I worked with a bloke who had been a radio tech at Holme Moss and Emley moor.

He had interesting tales and photos. They have ex-ship's engines as backup generators - starting them involves compressed air and pixies. Switching the power from mains to backup generators involves knife switches activated by gunpowder charges.

Ice formed on the Holme Moss mast one year and fell off in chunks. They evacuated the station - when they went back, one chuck had come clean through the concrete roof and flattened cabinets - he had photos of the mess.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #484 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
Iconic masts, eh? I had anticiapated something like the SS Great Britain! But I have to admit that Emley Moor, erm, towery thing is strangely attractive in an ugly, once-this-was-the-bright-future, see-how-we-have-dreamed, way.

I think it's quite impressive, given that it was built in a hurry using reasonably novel techniques after the original guyed steel mast collapsed without warning (due to ice and high winds) in 1969.

Still the tallest free-standing structure in the UK, apparently.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #485 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:37:03 pm »

Now you've reminded me of the last stretch of the Spurn Head 400, which passed pretty close to Emley Moor.  It was bloody freezing and that Mr Crossland chappie had put a metric fuckton of hills in the last 60 km :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #486 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »
I've only seen Emley Moor mast from a distance (best view from Brierley Gap, on the B 6273 above Grimethorpe) but I have been to the top of the Sandy Heath Transmitter.  You donarf get marvellous views from 800 feet up! :thumbsup:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/230023
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #487 on: 28 July, 2011, 05:03:22 pm »

Now you've reminded me of the last stretch of the Spurn Head 400, which passed pretty close to Emley Moor.  It was bloody freezing and that Mr Crossland chappie had put a metric fuckton of hills in the last 60 km :(
Yebbut Yorkshire's flat. Everyone knows that ;) (ask anyone who rode my old York 600 all those years ago  :demon:)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #488 on: 28 July, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »
Pan flat.  Especially Rosedale Chimney, Sutton Bank and Park Rash. ;)
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #489 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »
Ice formed on the Holme Moss mast one year and fell off in chunks. They evacuated the station - when they went back, one chuck had come clean through the concrete roof and flattened cabinets - he had photos of the mess.

Emley Moor Mk 2 went over when it iced up in about 1969. That's why there's a concrete tower there now

I'm told they had to dig the UHF array out of the next field with a bulldozer.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/emley/eyewitness/index.shtml

« Reply #490 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »
Oh, thanks very much for posting links to geograph. Never seen it before.  There's the rest of my life wasted....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #491 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »

Emley Moor Mk 2 went over when it iced up in about 1969. That's why there's a concrete tower there now

I'm told they had to dig the UHF array out of the next field with a bulldozer.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/emley/eyewitness/index.shtml

I remember that. My televisual habits were severely curtailed for some time.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #492 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:43:21 pm »

I think it's quite impressive, given that it was built in a hurry using reasonably novel techniques after the original guyed steel mast collapsed without warning (due to ice and high winds) in 1969.

I would have guessed it was a bit older than that. What's the definition of "free-standing"? I can't believe something that tall doesn't have foundations! And yes it is impressive, in an ugly kind of way. The kind of thing I'd enjoy gazing at on a bike ride or indeed any journey, but probably would prefer not to have in my view every day - not that I'd actually object to it. I also rather like those tall red-and-white painted steel pylon-type towers, especially against a background of pale blue sky, sunny sky.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #493 on: 28 July, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »
Oh, thanks very much for posting links to geograph. Never seen it before.  There's the rest of my life wasted....

Oh oh! they haven't got a picture of my house!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #494 on: 28 July, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »
You know when you drive past something like that and it looks like it's keeping up with the car? When we used to go to Skelmanthorpe to see my great great aunt and uncle, my grandad used to tell us that Emley Moor mast was on a trolley and men were running with it and pushing it to make it keep up. Eventually we got smart(er) and asked how they managed that for every car that went past. I don't remember what the answer was.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #495 on: 29 July, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »
The frame builder has the work order for your bike and it's on his list of things to do.

It's taken four weeks to get to this point?  :o

I thought the estimate of six weeks was a bit optimistic, but I'm getting the feeling it may be more like twelve.  :'(

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #496 on: 29 July, 2011, 04:54:26 pm »
LONDON
CYCLING
CAMPAIGN

Thank you for your

Membership
CARD

which arrived in the post today. I am sufficiently well-educated to realise this is a CARD without needing this to be the largest writing on the CARD

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #497 on: 30 July, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
Dear BBC, I don't recall any "Prince William marries in England" headlines so why "Zara Phillips marries in Scotland"? Do you think the rest of the UK is as London-centric as you are and therefore unable to realise that Edinburgh is in Scotland? Twonks.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #498 on: 30 July, 2011, 04:51:16 pm »
I would have guessed it was a bit older than that. What's the definition of "free-standing"? I can't believe something that tall doesn't have foundations! And yes it is impressive, in an ugly kind of way. The kind of thing I'd enjoy gazing at on a bike ride or indeed any journey, but probably would prefer not to have in my view every day - not that I'd actually object to it. I also rather like those tall red-and-white painted steel pylon-type towers, especially against a background of pale blue sky, sunny sky.

free-standing = no guy wires
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #499 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »
Me.  Next time you order a latte in Aberystwyth, ask them for one that actually tastes of coffee. :-(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.