Author Topic: Honey bees  (Read 999 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Honey bees
« on: 21 July, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »
I haven't seen a single honey bee in my garden in W.Wales (Fishguard) this summer. I know the chatterati think that pesticide poisoning is the problem and the Guardianistas are worried about colony collapse disorder  .

I did keep bees myself for 15 years + 1985-2003? and then varroa crept in and yields were puny. There are a few cycling beekeepers out there!

Amother wet July in the west after a dry, sometimes hot June. Is the rest of the UK faring better?

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Honey bees
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:34:48 pm »
Been seeing quite a few buzzing around our lavender in Brighton, Medders.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »
There are large Lavender beds all around the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital grounds, and they were alive with bees the other week.

It's been a very dry and sunny spring and early summer here - the grass is already brown and crispy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »
Perhaps they're all metrosexual bees and prefer the ambience of Brighton to Fishguard, Riggers?

srsly, I've seen fewer honey bees this year, but more bumble bees.
Getting there...

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »
We had a swarm of bees arrive in our compost bin about a month ago. I called a local bee-keeper who was very happy to come and collect them. I did consider our own swarm_catcher but assumed London was a bit far away ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »
srsly, I've seen fewer honey bees this year, but more bumble bees.

Ditto.

The only bee keeper I know lost their colonies last year and, according to the beekeeping expert I spoke to at the Highland Show, this has been the pattern all across the country.

Apparently lots of people want to take up bee keeping, but there are nowhere near enough queens to go round now.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2010, 04:13:22 pm »
but there are nowhere near enough queens to go round now.

Clarrers? The door is open for you…
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex