Author Topic: Ants: what’s going on here?  (Read 1019 times)

Ants: what’s going on here?
« on: 20 June, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »
These are two not very good images of a couple of tips of branches of a plant in my garden. On one or two of these tips, where buds are just sprouting, ants have climbed about 4 feet up:

What are they doing? Are those ant eggs?

Ruth

Re: Ants: what’s going on here?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
Those are aphids.  The ants are sucking all the nice sweet stuff off your aphids.

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
Farming.

They'll move the bloody things onto other plants too.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »
Thanks :) Strange - why are the aphids only on a couple of places on the plant? Or are they only getting started?

Edited: I been done Googled it. Farming eh? Clever b’stards.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »
It's good, innit?  Except when they're doing it on your broad beans and strawberries.  Lots of ladybirds in our garden this year, so that should keep the aphids down a bit.

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2014, 09:04:21 pm »
I've been exterminating ants for a couple of weeks now. I've got at least 6 nests in the back garden, with a few off shoot colonies. They're a bugger when they're in your pots and ruining roots of trees. They also empty the garden of all life except aphids. I used to love watching them but they've gone crazy, they're building the extension tube tunnels for the flyers now too.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert