Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2964245 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23300 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:30:16 pm »
Anecdotally we had an engineer in who tried to get on a 'plane (from Edinburgh to Brizzle) with a higher spec mask he had from working in some factory or other and he was refused- he had to have a bog standard FFP2. The staff who are letting you on don't know what the rating of your respiratory protection is- they can only go by what it looks like- 'right' or 'wrong'.

This is often a problem.  I ain't gettin' on no damn plane, fool, but I have been past the mask-enforcement wallies[1] at the orthopaedic hospital a lot.  About half the time they note that my mask is clearly better than the ISO standard surgical ones they're making people wear.  The other half of the time they aren't having any of it, and insist that I swap to one of theirs.

Barakta claims a can't-hear-with-steamed-up-glasses / insufficiency-of-ears-to-hang-it-from exemption.  People are surprisingly reluctant to press the issue when you've got bolts in your head.

[1] This is presumably the wally job they give to the HCAs who are too thick to be allowed to break the drain valves on catheter bags and similar.

ian

« Reply #23301 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:32:18 pm »
I got some bog-standard Amazon disposables in the end, it's a short flight to Swizzlerland.

I can't imagine the cabin staff have any expertise in such matters, so they just look for FFP2 printed on the front.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23302 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:32:40 pm »
Is the non-availability of specific varieties of rubber another of those Brexit BonusesTM about which we hear so much these days?
It hasn’t been said, but my local garage, my usual first choice, because support local, said he couldn’t get an “Y” rubber and to try a large chain. My suspicions are on transport and import difficulties though.

A Y rating is supercar territory - 186mph+.  You'll probably only need a V at best, so V or W would do - assuming your choice of tyre comes in thsose flavours.

My approach would be to get 2 new tyres, and keep the part worn good tyre as an emergency spare.
thanks for that, I’ll bear it in mind when I look for winter tyres in a month or so. Because I’m looking to change over to winter tyres soon, I’ve just ordered the one for the time being. I’d normally do what you say, but tyres aren’t cheap.

I’m not sure why it’s got Y tyres though, I suspect just over speculation by the manufactures for kudos and arse covering.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23303 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:39:07 pm »
I got some bog-standard Amazon disposables in the end, it's a short flight to Swizzlerland.

I can't imagine the cabin staff have any expertise in such matters, so they just look for FFP2 printed on the front.
Even if they do know, they also know that they've been told to enforce Rule Xyz and their boss will get ranty/dock their pay/make them clean the bogs for the next seven years if they let anyone through with something superior but noncompliant.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23304 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:55:29 pm »
I've also got a mask similar to Jurek's , but I'm saving that for the Epsilon variant.....  :hand:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23305 on: 20 October, 2021, 03:21:36 pm »
I'd just grab any old mask and write FFP2 on it in crayon.  That'll fool 'em.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23306 on: 20 October, 2021, 04:03:22 pm »
IME no they won't.  Announcements & signs will be read/placed as required by procedure by that's where it ends. Even ze highly efficient germans.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #23307 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:35:16 pm »
I'm getting pissed off with selling stuff on ebay now.
Firstly,they pulled PayPal as a means of receiving payment but it's still the place that they pull monthly fees from.
In the last 3 weeks I've had two sales go wrong.
Maybe its Hermes that are the real problem but by and large they have delivered everything in good time and good order.

First was a bike rack that Hermes deemed to be oversize so they charged another tenner which blew away most of the sale value.
Second was a food mixer that was working perfectly fine when I tested it but when the buyer plugged it in, it started smoking and grinding.
The money  isn't important , so I refunded the value because I just don't want the aggro.

The main reason that I sell stuff is so that it doesn't go to landfill.
And on that front ,I'm starting to think " fuck it" and just take it to recycling .
 I've just pulled three items off ebay tonight to do just that. Dumping stuff in a skip feels like a waste but it's also quite liberating.
Am I wrong?

« Reply #23308 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:53:09 pm »
If it is not working for you then how can it be wrong?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23309 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:55:02 pm »
Checking out the possibility of a day trip to Milton Keynes.... £74 return from Liverpool   :jurek: ,  and that's booking several weeks in advance.  Splitting it into shorter legs doesn't seem to help either.

Hmmm….. the Trainline app offers me a “SplitSave” ticket for £51,  their website doesn’t.  One to remember for future purchases.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23310 on: 20 October, 2021, 09:17:47 pm »
I'm getting pissed off with selling stuff on ebay now.
Firstly,they pulled PayPal as a means of receiving payment but it's still the place that they pull monthly fees from.
In the last 3 weeks I've had two sales go wrong.
Maybe its Hermes that are the real problem but by and large they have delivered everything in good time and good order.

First was a bike rack that Hermes deemed to be oversize so they charged another tenner which blew away most of the sale value.
Second was a food mixer that was working perfectly fine when I tested it but when the buyer plugged it in, it started smoking and grinding.
The money  isn't important , so I refunded the value because I just don't want the aggro.

The main reason that I sell stuff is so that it doesn't go to landfill.
And on that front ,I'm starting to think " fuck it" and just take it to recycling .
 I've just pulled three items off ebay tonight to do just that. Dumping stuff in a skip feels like a waste but it's also quite liberating.
Am I wrong?

Try Freegle or Freecycle rather than the nuclear option of the tip. You don't need to go anywhere or do anything, people come and collect it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23311 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:16:25 pm »
or gumtree
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23312 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:28:14 pm »
Or put it out on the street with a 'Please take me' label prominently displayed.

If it doesn't go, swap that label for one that says '£5'. That generally gets rid of stuff.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23313 on: 21 October, 2021, 07:31:09 am »
or gumtree

Indeed - we've had quite a lot of success with Gumtree - no fees, simple - just a bit limited on the area you're promoting to.

BUT sometimes bizarre : I put a complete granite kitchen worktop + sink/taps etc on Gumtree for £500 - a couple of local-ish enquiries but I sold it to someone 170 miles away!! It was obviously heavy and the buyer sent a man and a van to collect it.

« Reply #23314 on: 22 October, 2021, 04:42:19 pm »
Freecycle is just full of chancers looking for a free TV/laptop/cooker/fridge.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23315 on: 22 October, 2021, 05:12:51 pm »
Food Recycle Bins.

Why is it that we keep ours clean and when collected we get back foul ones that are covered in mould, slime and running with leachate.  :sick:

>:( >:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #23316 on: 22 October, 2021, 06:05:27 pm »
Food Recycle Bins.

Why is it that we keep ours clean and when collected we get back foul ones that are covered in mould, slime and running with leachate.  :sick:

>:( >:( >:(
Put your house number on it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #23317 on: 22 October, 2021, 06:20:22 pm »
Oi! We don't have a house number!!!

;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #23318 on: 22 October, 2021, 06:23:13 pm »

:-D

If you’re that posh surely you have staff to insulate you from such tawdry concerns ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23319 on: 22 October, 2021, 08:28:32 pm »
Freecycle is just full of chancers looking for a free TV/laptop/cooker/fridge.

Not much chance if I'm only offering unwanted cat litter or used tights then…

I have rehomed these.

I ignore the chancers and advertise serviceable clutter I really don't want. Facebook reminds me that two years ago today I was grouching that Freegle wanted me to help someone with some bulky and unserviceable item, 'only' two miles away and I was not interested.

ian

« Reply #23320 on: 22 October, 2021, 08:43:00 pm »

;D

You're allowed to use letters.

I keep seeing houses with the same name as ours. It makes me unaccountably angry.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #23321 on: 22 October, 2021, 09:44:39 pm »
Let me guess.  Nia Roo?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #23322 on: 22 October, 2021, 11:04:56 pm »

;D

I keep seeing houses with the same name as ours. It makes me unaccountably angry.

Our house name is so long it would go round three sides of the receptacle.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23323 on: 22 October, 2021, 11:17:21 pm »

;D

You could always go from top to bottom or bottom to top.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #23324 on: 22 October, 2021, 11:21:10 pm »

;D

You could always go from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Hmm, on the bins that would work, but not the food recycling thingies.

There would still be the question of the mould, slime and leachate in other receptacles in the street!