General Category > Audax

BP history

(1/2) > >>

GdS:
Having a conversation with a couple of clubmates about how AUK differs from other countries.

Is it true that sub 200 rides don't really exist outside the UK or are covered by FFCT etc?

slugbait:
I've ridden audaxes in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany (and I organize BRMs in the Netherland). And, yes, we don't do sub-200 rides and it's all BRM. If you want anything shorter, then there are plenty of options but those rides are typically organized by local cycling clubs.

LittleWheelsandBig:
ACP and UAF organise some sub-200km brevets but they were originally intended mostly for wives and children while the blokes rode 200+km (it was quite a while ago). AUK followed ACP's example and expanded it. Audax Oz, RUSA and some randonneuring organisations in Canada organise sub-200km brevets, mostly derived from AUK ex-pats. Only Audax Oz has quite a few sub-200s.

FFCT covers a range of brevets, most of them not as codified as ACP's brevets. ACP and UAF are both within FFCT's overarching event calendar/ system.

GdS:
Thanks  :) I heard an urban myth that a respected female AUK member set BPs up in the UK only

LittleWheelsandBig:

--- Quote from: GdS on 02 May, 2024, 10:48:42 am ---Thanks  :) I heard an urban myth that a respected female AUK member set BPs up in the UK only

--- End quote ---

Indeed, Sheila was a big part of introducing BPs in the UK, amongst a variety of awards and concepts, some of which were novel e.g. RRTY, DIY perms. Some concepts died after a while e.g. gold and silver standards for long distance perms, Sea-to-Summit perms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version