Author Topic: Prescription Cycling Glasses  (Read 5991 times)

Re: Prescription Cycling Glasses
« Reply #25 on: 21 December, 2019, 11:37:14 pm »
Got some sports glasses from specsavers, which do the trick but being closer to the face and more wrap-around they mist up more.  I once had some “smart” cycle glasses with inserts and a choice of lenses; awful. They would mist up on both sides of the inserts and both sides of the lenses, I have bad vision but had to take them off riding in fog. Windrams I think thy were called.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 27 December, 2019, 01:22:44 am »
I've got optilabs flow frames. Vaguely wraparound but not aggressively so with a lens cutaway to allow for ventilation. Might well get a pair with a plain grey frame for regular civilian wear.

« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2019, 05:32:16 pm »
Ordered a pair of Rapide from Optilabs, Photo chromatic lenses too. Thanks for all the info  :thumbsup:
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #28 on: 02 January, 2020, 04:16:44 pm »
(Potentially) good news for speccy bargain hunters - PX are getting a load more prescription inserts in stock as per https://www.facebook.com/planetxbikes/posts/3234486849901150

Might be worth investigating. I have a set of carnac multiwhatsits which go dark in the sun and clear at night which I highly recommend but they're not seemingly stocking them right now. They're basically these but with posher lenses https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARSF2/carnac-rsf-v2-sunglasses

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:33:49 pm »
First run out today with the new glasses, very impressed ! Don't know how i managed without them for so long.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
First run out today with the new glasses, very impressed ! Don't know how i managed without them for so long.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 30 May, 2020, 03:06:17 pm »
Dropped my 2016 prescription sunglasses and they broke at the bridge, they can't be easily glued and the lenses were getting a bit scratched so I spoke to Optilabs again.

They'll do me another pair exactly the same (prescription hasn't changed) with a £20 discount for being a loyal customer. All done in a couple of emails and a single phone call.

:thumbsup:
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Prescription Glasses
« Reply #32 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:29:40 pm »
Hi All
I need to replace my prescription cycling glasses due to a combination of change in prescription and a broken leg on my existing glasses.

I have used Optilabs in Croydon for my last three pairs and have been happy with them. Just wondering what else is out there before I make my next purchase.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Prescription Glasses
« Reply #33 on: 29 December, 2020, 10:39:26 pm »
Is your spherical prescription for distance + or - ?

I found wraparound types distort badly with my + prescription.  Also, some sports frames have a minimum effective PD that is too wide for most humans, e.g. 69mm, so aren't suitable for prescription lenses at all.

The advice on here was to get some normal-shaped glasses, maybe a bit more "sporty" looking, and just use them.  I would strongly recommend photochromic lenses for cycling, if you can stretch to them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #34 on: 30 December, 2020, 06:55:21 am »
It depends on your riding position, which bit of the glasses you are looking through.  If Optilabs work for you already, they are good.  Their frames don't work for riding with aerobars where you need to see out of the extreme top of the lens. 

I have a pair that are better, but I won't recommend them as the curvature of the lens causes distortion: ok in the daylight but, at night, it looks like I am riding up hill even though the road is flat.  I now use contacts when I'm using aerobars. 

« Reply #35 on: 30 December, 2020, 06:26:06 pm »
I've used Optilabs in the past, no complaints. Two years ago it was time for a new pair and I was ready to get another pair from Optilabs. When I was talking to my Optician after my examination he showed me a pair of Leader frames, same price range as Optilabs ish  so I deceided to give the Leaders a chance .No regrets at all, I can recommend them. The bonus is that the Optician has fitted them and gave them the once over on my last examination this past Autumn. The lenses are detachable so if my prescription had changed I wouldn't have to buy a new set of frames. Another advantage of having a local long established business and using it.

« Reply #36 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:09:13 pm »
I have no issues with the Optilab glasses I have had in the past was just wondering what else was out there now that I have to replace the frame and update the prescription.

Rogerzilla - agree with your advice on the photochromatic lenses, they have been well worth the extra cost especially on the long events where night riding is very much a part of the event.

seasider - I'll have  look at the Leader frames and see how they stack up against the optilabs ones, my eye test was carried out at one of the chain operatives and when I mentioned sports glasses there was just a blank look  ;D ;D

« Reply #37 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:33:03 pm »
Prescription Oakleys are really good, and last well; but maybe pricey. I’ve had Optilabs and they are good, but aren’t perhaps as stylish. Personally experience has led me to avoid prescription insert models, where one ends up looking through two lenses - that both fog up.

« Reply #38 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:47:28 am »
I had some Puma/Specsavers insert things. Not very good. The shape of the lense/having 2x lenses to look through messed with my depth perception. Also suffered from misting problems described above.

I currently have a set of Boots sunglasses with photocromatic lenses in. Well worth the money not messing around with different lenses. Downside is, for my prescription (-4), the lenses are fairly chunky thus heavy. They have the tendancy to slip down my nose when i'm sweating. Some stick on rubber nose grips have helped, but I have considered getting a retention strap too. If I came off, I suspect they would leave my face fairly easily. Also, when they are clear, they look rather unfortunate on me.

Suitably impressed that I wouldn't hesitate (as I used to) to pay circa £3-400 for a decent, lightweight set of optics.