Linked Events

• The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // West Bromwich: 29 June, 2013

Author Topic: The Great Big Skills Share Jamboree // 29th June, 2013 // West Bromwich  (Read 7340 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Can anyone demonstrate wheel building?

I can.  If there's a call for it.  I can also do:
  • Cabin Doors to Manual: How and why you should operate your camera on modes other than "P" and "Auto" - a hands-on introduction to Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO numbers for the photographically challenged.
  • Greenwood carving, based around knife skills.  It's beyond the scope of a 60 minute long session to teach anyone to carve a spoon, but I'm confident I can teach the basics of how to use a knife in this time.  Types of blade, the main grips and how not to cut yourself.
  • Knife sharpening: The Scary Sharp System - using abrasive paper and flat boards to sharpen and then strop simple blades.
  • Campfire building and lighting 101.  Although if we're indoors, probably best to leave this for some other time...  ::-)
I'd be interested in all those apart from the photography - but as already said, I won't be there on the 29th.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I can bring some wheel buildy stuff.  It's not a subject I feel qualified to be any kind of authority on, but if people are having a go...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
On wheel building, I can supply a whole classroom-full of 'befores'...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

It's not a subject I feel qualified to be any kind of authority on

This came up in conversation earlier - please don't anyone feel that you have to be in sage-on-a-stage mode to lead a session. Maybe thinking of it as initiating (or chairing) a session is better.

As an example: Kim was saying she's built wheels before, but doesn't really feel she knows what she's doing as such. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes it hasn't. It would be fine to team up with other people who have done a bit of wheel building and swap examples of what has and hasn't worked for each other. The skills don't have to be shared in only one direction and you don't have to have done all your learning before you arrive!

• Cabin Doors to Manual
  • Greenwood carving, based around knife skills.
  • Knife sharpening.
  • Campfire building and lighting 101

Thanks Charlotte - excellent!

Cabin Doors to Manual sounds perfect!

I can ask about carving/knives (I'll try and do it when I'm in tomorrow). 'How Not to Cut Yourself' is an excellent session title, methinks! :)

Knife sharpening - also sounds good, and I know of at least one other person who's keen to share tips on this subject (something about the top edge of car windows...)

Campfires
Me: Are there any things we definitely can't do at the Jamboree?
Head of Arts: [thinks] Well, we couldn't have any naked flames.
Me: [flippantly] What about naked people?!
Head of Arts: [casually] Naked people are fine.
Me: [ :o and  :facepalm: in equal measures]

So yes, another time for the campfires and the spooning...

In other news:
We've the all clear to do food and beverages in the evening. There's a bar in the building if required, and I'll investigate either a) getting the café to prepare a few vats of curry or b) identifying alternative local providers we can phone an order through to.

In other other news:
Kim's familiarised herself with the sound desk and projector!

MacGyver screen test by Many & Varied, on Flickr

I'm really quite excited about all this  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Whilst I am _fairly_ sure that I have a number of skills, I genuinely can't think of any that I could even facilitate a session about... it is most odd.

It's an interesting process to go through, isn't it?!

Are the CrinklyCubs available? We'd like Smallest to teach us how to eat curry and Eldest to teach us how to side kick.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Whilst I am _fairly_ sure that I have a number of skills, I genuinely can't think of any that I could even facilitate a session about... it is most odd.

CAKE MAKING

And Crinkly to share (literally) her cake-making excellence    ;)   :thumbsup:

And don't think we've forgotten about that promised box of flakes either, PB...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

That was my take on it too.  I mean, there's loads of stuff I have a reasonable level of competence in, some of which would probably be of interest to people.  But I'm not sure how much of it secessionifies...

CrinklyLion

Are the CrinklyCubs available? We'd like Smallest to teach us how to eat curry and Eldest to teach us how to side kick.

They aren't, I'm afraid.  But The Eldest could also do an excellent 'hitting nature with sticks' workshop, I reckon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

They aren't, I'm afraid.  But The Eldest could also do an excellent 'hitting nature with sticks' workshop, I reckon.

That would be quite entertaining, given that the trees in The Public are made of steel and electrickery.  I expect they'd make a satisfying clanging noise (mental note: check this tomorrow).

That made me laugh out loud!

Do the sticks need to be smooth? I know someone who's good with dead vegetables and a sander...

CrinklyLion

It doesn't seem to be a requirement :)

Genius Idea time!  We shall have to get him to do a HNWAS masterclass in Clarion and Butterfly's back garden one day.  Fabulous de-stressing activity for all participants, and we'll beat their lawn into submission.  Literally :D

ETA:
Slightly more seriously, if I make it over on the 29th it'll probably be in a somewhat sleep-deprived and potentially mildly hungover state (yes, there is some gig-going involved in that week's Calendar) so I'm probably better off declaring in advance that I shall be in the slightly-befuddled-slow-learners-of-stuff group, rather than advancing the boundaries of others' knowledge!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Genius!

How does he feel about attacking nettles that may well be taller than him...?   ;D

CrinklyLion

Nettles are very high up on the list of 'nature-that-one-is-allowed-to-hit'.  And have the advantage of presenting a degree of challenge, as they can fight back against the unwary....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I shall be in the slightly-befuddled-slow-learners-of-stuff group, rather than advancing the boundaries of other's knowledge!

If I've taught you anything it's this: those two categories aren't mutually exclusive.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

Now this idea I do like.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
In principle I like the idea of this weekend and would normally like to attend, but we have already made plans for 29th.

I would be quite happy to arrange a session on mating if such an event should be repeated.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

And don't think we've forgotten about that promised box of flakes either, PB...

But, but...    That was for the next nikkiwalk!   :D

Right, time to think this puppy through and figure out how the day is going to work.
Very Important Questions to be addressed, such as...
(click to show/hide)

We have permission for knivery - just let me know in advance so I can do the risk assessment type stuff.

For the evening bit, can also confirm vats of curry from the in-house café (£6 per head) and the bar downstairs will be open.

Pssst! Registration is open!

http://skillssharejamboree.eventbrite.co.uk/

10:30 for an 11:00 start; as many skills as we can fit in; bring your own lunch; finish at 18:30; those that want to stay on join us for curry and whatever we put on the big screen, all out by 22:00

Saddened to report that we confirmed our trains oop north to Wick for 19th June so unfortunatley we will be eating Orkney ice cream, drinking Dark Island beer and meandering around stone circles whilst you lot are in a stuffy room stabbing with pointy things and setting fire to each other.    :P

Should have done the Will writing session already, eh?   ;)

Have a great time and I'll look forward to the reports, and the second instalment.

Just over a week to go!

Skills on the share list so far:
Basic electronics; computer programming; bicycle maintenance; British Sign Language; aperture, shutter speed and ISO numbers for the photographically challenged; greenwood carving / knife skills; chemistry; making clay animals and figures out of self hardening clay; WordPress; editing Wikipedia; identification of garden birds; using Linux and unconventional methods to create generative art; soldering; microcontroller programming; hardware reuse.

Skills on the requested list so far:
Juggling; knitting; magic / card tricks; Arduino; Raspberry Pi; becoming a billionaire; making music using either hardware or software; sewing; playing guitar; learning another (human) language.

Get yer sign-up signed up by midweek to get your curry order in in time!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
If you ever do a repeat I would be happy to do a swordfighting demo & lesson, apologies, saw this too late.