Author Topic: SRAM Red eTap 11sp rear mech not shifting  (Read 644 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
SRAM Red eTap 11sp rear mech not shifting
« on: 29 January, 2022, 06:43:36 pm »
After sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks, the Red eTap rear mech on my Moulton doesn’t seem to shift gears any more. Repeatedly pairing the shifters, front and rear mechs gets all the LEDs blinking as they should but no rear derailleur movement. The front does exactly what it should.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=153126 seems to be the world knowledge centre for non-working eTap derailleurs. It suggests that the rear mech can often gum up and corrode internally. Cleaning the pivots, motor and gears and lubricating the gears can get things working properly again. Anywhere else on the interweb that I should be looking at for eTap servicing advice?

I have been commuting through west London on my Moulton for perhaps two months, so my bike was a bit grubby but hardly mud-caked. I fitted the kit late August last year, so it had not many miles under the belt. Prior to that, the group had languished in their boxes for quite a while so no doubt it is out of warrantee. Around £2 per gear shift is my guess, so far. It seems that, if I get this kit working properly again, I should be keeping Red eTap for summer use only and cleaning it immediately after it gets some grime on it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...